The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 vs SV650 gen 2

adamo

Hey Guys,

I wonder if any of you have any experience with sv650 gen2 vs fz07. I've been riding mine(mt07) for 2 years and it still is my first bike, however, I've only put around 7000km on her in two years and most of those miles were rides to hills to chase some twisties. A few weeks ago I've had my first track day and it was even better than i expected, but I could not get out of my mind that It would be better on some older bike that i won't care about that much and would be cheaper to upgrade and fix. I live in a city so dedicated track bike with trailer is out of scope right now, but i began thinking that older sv650 gen2 which run about 2000EUR in my area would make a fine bike for hooning around and also some track duty with basically half the prices of fz07, lot of upgrades available and so on. Basically, I'm wondering if I should throw money in fz or buy older sv650 or some 600. What do you think? Did you ride both? If yes how do they compare?

Thanks

Edited by adamo

I have owned two SV Gen 1s, a naked and the SVS faired. Both were outstanding machines, the second one I did a big bore kit on and it was very strong, lol, about equal to my stock MT-07. Well, okay it probably punched out around 80 horses or so. I think the SV is a better track bike than a MT-07, especially the SVS. I like the engine on the MT better, I think. Hard to say. 

I do not think a "track" bike should be anything but a "track" bike because if you use it for transportation and general riding then you may find yourself sans any bike. 

I should have never sold either. Both went to "track" bike duty with well heeled gents who lavished tons of money on them converting them to race spec machines. 

Edited by 3crows

Grease up the rabbit hole, here comes another one!

Seriously this is a very personal decision. I've owned, riden and raced them both. They are a horse a piece. Different yet similar. They are both great street bikes, capable track bikes, competitive race mounts and you can hemorrhage as much money as you could ever amas on either. There is a TONNE of after market kit available for them, especially the SV since it's been around for basically 20 years as opposed to 5. 

If you kit out your Yamaha you have a cheapish, new street bike capable of track riding. If you get a 2nd Gen SV and kit it out you have a cheapish, old street bike capable of track riding. Just crash Your FZ once and it'll be a beater just like your dream SV.  Spend too much money and your SV and it soon costs more than a new FZ. I know this doesn't help much but these are my thoughts. 

I ran the SV till I bored with it and got an FZ. Guess what happens when I bore with the FZ? Never look back. 

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
5 hours ago, mossrider said:

Grease up the rabbit hole, here comes another one!

Seriously this is a very personal decision. I've owned, riden and raced them both. They are a horse a piece. Different yet similar. They are both great street bikes, capable track bikes, competitive race mounts and you can hemorrhage as much money as you could ever amas on either. There is a TONNE of after market kit available for them, especially the SV since it's been around for basically 20 years as opposed to 5. 

If you kit out your Yamaha you have a cheapish, new street bike capable of track riding. If you get a 2nd Gen SV and kit it out you have a cheapish, old street bike capable of track riding. Just crash Your FZ once and it'll be a beater just like your dream SV.  Spend too much money and your SV and it soon costs more than a new FZ. I know this doesn't help much but these are my thoughts. 

I ran the SV till I bored with it and got an FZ. Guess what happens when I bore with the FZ? Never look back. 

Good luck and have fun!

You pay Andy to build you a full fz07r and start again :P

i doubt you'll bore of the 07

anyway, @adamo

the bike may be new, but they seem like they're gonna be around forever... Kinda like the SV

Youve already paid for the fz, why spend more money on a different bike when you can use said money to upgrade your fz 

my ¢2

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Thanks for input guys, i would definitely not keep both bikes, i would sell fz for +-5000EUR and buy other bike.  I need to find somebody who will let me ride their 600 first as i think that will be bigger difference than sv vs fz

"Some 600" if you are talking GXer or such is an entirely different animal from either the MT/FZ or SV and more track ready as they are essentially street legal race bikes. 

Just now, adamo said:

, i need to go for some test rides apparently

Don't do it, this is how I keep getting myself into trouble.

Or put another way,

Do it but get your checkbook out.

😉

Let us know where you end up.

I've owned a Gen 1 naked SV650, a Gen 2 SV650S, and now an MT07.

I haven't ridden any on the track, but the SV's have noticably better street suspension and feel a lot more planted in stock trim especially when you're dealing with road imperfections. The Gen 1 is noticably lighter and more flickable than the Gen 2. The Gen 2 has more power than the Gen 1, but I didn't notice it. The MT07 feels quicker than either SV, having similar power, more low end torque and less weight.

If you're set on an SV, maybe also consider the Gen 1 SV650S. As a previous owner of both, I much prefer the Gen 1.

Here is my SV650S I stupidly sold.:

IMG-4686.jpg

I killed the engine on an extended wheelie (well, it took a lot of them). I rebuilt it myself as a 750 class engine (yes, I am a mechanic). I was made a good offer and wanted another GXer600. So I sold it, even though I could have had both. But, fate intervened. Two weeks later, training for a triathlon, I was attacked on my bicycle by two pitbull mix dogs. I broke my femur in three places, crushed my hip and cracked my collarbone and dislocated my left shoulder (again!). And, I was alone, on a country road, nobody found me for about an hour and a blood clot caused a stroke. Three years later I was more or less fully recovered (if one ever fully recovers) and it took seven more years to convince my wife I could still ride (and yes I still bicycle and triathlon). But I never got the 600 but now I have a MT-07 and I suspect you are launching yourself on a journey of bike hopping. Whenever possible, keep both, sell none!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm horrible at giving advice but, if your looking for a track bike, get a super sports. Any super sports. They have already better suspension setups that beginners don't need to upgrade. You can grab a nice SS for 4k and just hit up the track without any upgrades except for tires. 

• Like 1