The MT-07 Forum

Chain Link Mistake

roarence

I made a small mistake installing a new chain today, and a part of me says it’s not big deal, and a part of me feels like the chain will blow up when I was riding it— thought I would ask here! 

Would you be worried if you accidentally pushed the master pin out slightly (before flaring), put it back into place, then flare/close the ends?

I was about to flare the master link, but forgot the back of the tool, so it ended out pushing the pin out the back slightly. I was able to push it back and eyeballed it to be even with the other pin. From there, I flared the pin no problems.

Would you be worried about the integrity of that master link pin? Is it compromised in any way? Or is it no big deal?

(I asked on reddit as well, just needing a clear answer)

Just now, roarence said:

I made a small mistake installing a new chain today, and a part of me says it’s not big deal, and a part of me feels like the chain will blow up when I was riding it— thought I would ask here! 

Would you be worried if you accidentally pushed the master pin out slightly (before flaring), put it back into place, then flare/close the ends?

I was about to flare the master link, but forgot the back of the tool, so it ended out pushing the pin out the back slightly. I was able to push it back and eyeballed it to be even with the other pin. From there, I flared the pin no problems.

Would you be worried about the integrity of that master link pin? Is it compromised in any way? Or is it no big deal?

(I asked on reddit as well, just needing a clear answer)

Without seeing high resolution pictures or seeing the parts first hand and not knowing the type, size, style or manufacture of the chain, the bike it was put on, the brand/quality of tools used or your ability to use them I will say the following;

If;

a quality chain was installed using quality tools by a competent hand and the end result appears and functions as it should there should be no problem. Even if the the master was pushed in/out/in before peening. Meaning the rivet end is deformed appropriately, the links do not bind and have proper tension when flexed, there was no damage caused by the installation and all the supplied parts such as o/x/w-rings were installed correctly;

You should be fine. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Without seeing high resolution pictures or seeing the parts first hand and not knowing the type, size, style or manufacture of the chain, the bike it was put on, the brand/quality of tools used or your ability to use them I will say the following;

If;

a quality chain was installed using quality tools by a competent hand and the end result appears and functions as it should there should be no problem. Even if the the master was pushed in/out/in before peening. Meaning the rivet end is deformed appropriately, the links do not bind and have proper tension when flexed, there was no damage caused by the installation and all the supplied parts such as o/x/w-rings were installed correctly;

You should be fine. 

Thanks for the reassurance. I actually did take pictures: 

DfXTUAFh.jpg

Post with 5 views. Master link

do these look alright? It’s a 525 chain, flared with a budget riveting tool. Chain was from Vortex, from the FZ07 kit

Just now, roarence said:

do these look alright? It’s a 525 chain, flared with a budget riveting tool. Chain was from Vortex, from the FZ07 kit

After a couple trips around the neighborhood and a good inspection I wouldn't worry about for 10-15,000 miles.

You'll be fine mate, I've done this before as well. A bigger mistake (which I've made) is when you rivet too tightly and cause a tight spot in the chain.

Just curious.  Did you wipe the side of the sprocket down?  The lower portion of all of the links look like they are rubbing something, hopefully just a rag during cleanup?

• Global Moderator

I wouldn't worry about it @roarence

As Kyler stated, as long as there isn't a tight spot you should be fine

I've split the head of the rivet from breaking the tool and still had no issues for about 6k miles before I took a rock to the rear sprocket while driving

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Thanks everyone, I am relieved.

and @Zephyr yes! The chain was rubbing against the front sprocket cover. That took me a while to figure out. But it was because I needed to fit all the hoses/wiring tighter in the plastic. I’m still fully trying to figure out whether I got rid of the rub or not

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roarence said:

Thanks everyone, I am relieved.

and @Zephyr yes! The chain was rubbing against the front sprocket cover. That took me a while to figure out. But it was because I needed to fit all the hoses/wiring tighter in the plastic. I’m still fully trying to figure out whether I got rid of the rub or not

Just looking out for ya!  I'd hate to hear a horror story and find out that I could have just spoken up. 

Edit:  Add some finger nail polish to the chain should let you know pretty quickly if there's still a rub.  Just keep the polish a nice thin coat and controlled to the exterior surface of the chain only.

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Just looking out for ya!  I'd hate to hear a horror story and find out that I could have just spoken up. 

Edit:  Add some finger nail polish to the chain should let you know pretty quickly if there's still a rub.  Just keep the polish a nice thin coat and controlled to the exterior surface of the chain only.

Thanks man! And ahh, really good advice with the finger nail polish! Will try that tomorrow

• Like 1