The MT-07 Forum

backfiring from custom exhaust

bleakreaper

bleakreaper

Hi guys if got a problem, if just installed custom exhaust from our local modder ( he removes cat and exchange all pipes in muffler for larger one) sound is great but if got a lot poping, shoting and fire. Other owners of that exhaust don't have any symptopms like mine. I was thinking about checking sparks, and leaking from gasket?

sorry for bad quality

I would check the connections for leaks. Excessive air coming into the pipe can cause that. GL!

Beemer

Did the other owner also remove the cat? Typically removing the cat will usually give you tons more pops and bangs. 

And just for semantics, this is not a backfire. A backfire is when combustion passes through the intake, but it is common to also call exhaust pops and bangs "backfire". Kinda like how you say "roll up the window" and press a button. It isn't accurate, but commonly accepted. 

I thought a backfire was unburned fuel exploding in the silencer. Was in my day. Anyway, a backfire (if that is what it is) can be due to a bad electrical connection somewhere.

Just do it! 

bleakreaper

so after a 5 days wondering wtf is going with my bike i found a leak.

there was no connection to this black box ? the tube was hidden behind the others tubes. i'd know is this some pressure filter but after i connect the problems solves.

20190618_181956.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robbo10 said:

I thought a backfire was unburned fuel exploding in the silencer. Was in my day. Anyway, a backfire (if that is what it is) can be due to a bad electrical connection somewhere.

Nope, it's when it fires backwards (through the intake). Not that I'm asking anyone to stop using the term to describe unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust, just contributing some info. 

I've always described that as 'spitting'.   In the 1950s (so you must be one of the new boys), and still, backfiring was as I described it - .... firing... at the back.  So what term do you use for what I have described?

I am wondering if we are into the issue of 'peoples divided by a common language'. Maybe we just move on......

Edited by robbo10

Just do it!