The MT-07 Forum

clutch not working after water pump seal repair

poida

Hi guys,

I've replaced the water pump seals/bearings which involved taking off the clutch cover. 

I've now reassembled everything but the clutch does not disengage when i pull the level or manually via the pull level shaft on the clutch cover. When i try to disengage the clutch, the bike is stuck in gear and wont move back or forwards - feels like the pressure plate isnt lifting off.

During the installation the pull level shaft was engaged with the pull rod in the middle of the pressure plate. The pull level shaft is aligned as per manual with the arrow and dot.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? :(

Edited by poida

Just now, poida said:

Hi guys,

I've replaced the water pump seals/bearings which involved taking off the clutch cover. 

I've now reassembled everything but the clutch does not disengage when i pull the level or manually via the pull level shaft on the clutch cover. When i try to disengage the clutch, the bike is stuck in gear and wont move back or forwards - feels like the pressure plate isnt lifting off.

During the installation the pull level shaft was engaged with the pull rod in the middle of the pressure plate. The pull level shaft is aligned as per manual with the arrow and dot.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? :(

When you reassemble the clutch cover you have to rotate the clutch arm backwards about 80 degrees so the gear teeth on the clutch release arm will engage the coresponding  gear on the clutch release properly.  (make sure you disconnect the clutch cable so you can rotate the arm far enough backward) It has to be rotated quite a bit more than one would think during assembly to catch the teeth on the clutch release. If the cover is back in place correctly the arm should be almost straight out from the engine. Then you can reconnect the cable. 

If you can rotate the clutch arm by hand after reassembly you haven't got it right. 

Special note: you have do it 3 times and be pissed off, then it will 'pop' into place with a little effort. I know.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Got it working now with your info.

Basically with the cover closed the arm should be at the 11 o'clock position. Once you apply pressure the arm stops at the 12 o'clock position where the dot and the arrow marker line up. My initial mistake was having the dot & arrow line up when the cover is closed.

Photos attached for future reference to others.

Thanks again. 

cover 1.jpg

cover 2.jpg

• Like 2

Glad you got it.

Did you pinch your fingertips between the case halves? You're supposed to pinch 2 or 3 fingertips when it goes right. I'm not happy unless I have a couple of blood blisters from a clutch cover. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, mossrider said:

Glad you got it.

Did you pinch your fingertips between the case halves? You're supposed to pinch 2 or 3 fingertips when it goes right. I'm not happy unless I have a couple of blood blisters from a clutch cover. 

The first time closing the cover i got my finger tips pinched :) After that i just used my knee to slam it forward :)

• Like 1