Sign in to follow this  
backwheelben

I fell like McAms are f@#king me about

backwheelben

Has anyone got any experience dealing with McAms after an accident? A friend of mine who works in a dealership told me about them, after I had a none fault crash. So I rang them and told them about my accident and the very next day they dropped off a brand new MT07 tracer as a hire bike while I wait for my claim.

A quick google search of the company shows that they use a company called Bond Turner solicitos, formerly known as Armstrong Solicitors. The fact they changed their name is a massive red flag. If you google bond turner or armstrong solicitors, you will see a LOT of bad reviews. Loads of people say that they have ended up gettin a bill one day for the hire charges in excess of £10,000!!!

So after a few months of waiting and that I rang them and told them my concerns. The woman says theres no way I would be charged for the hire charges because it was 100% a none fault accient, but technicallly you can be liable in certain circumstances. She said that all those bad reviews are likely people with fraudulent claims, or people who have been dishonest about the facts.

But, at this point if I was to change solicitors, I think they would demand payment for the hire vehicle. Not only that but I have rang up on multiple occasions and been told different facts. For example for weeks they were saying they were waiting or a medical consent form from myself, which I sent back the day I received it. They said they would send out a new one and I said OK, whatever. 2 weeks later nothing had arrived in the post so I rang them again. They told me 'sorry, there was a mistake we actually already received it from you.'

Thats one thing but in December they told me that the third party had accepted liability. In February, I received a letter from my insurer saying the third party has put a claim in against me. Constant f@#king about and misinformation.

I don't know what my best move is really, Im probably going to have to speak with a different solicitor for a pro opinion. Has anybody had a positive experience with McAm's? Surely they can't be extorting hundreds of people and getting away with it.

Thanks

stickshift

This certainly does happen, I read a biking lawyers account of this happening often. For them to charge you this excessive amount you must have agreed (verbal, written, signature on contract etc) to accepting the charge under certain conditions. If things are not working out seek an alternative legal opinion, there is nothing stopping you from doing that. Best of luck.

Beemer

I would read over the McAms contract again very carefully, by law they're bound by that contract. If it indicates it can charge you for services rendered if a "fault decision" by an insurance company changes after their (McAms) contract is signed I would be considering not using McAms services and go without a bike for awhile just to play it safe. The only way I wouldn't do that is if lawyers from my insurance company assured me the other company couldn't win it's case in court. If they acted as if it were iffy I would drop McAms like a hot potato. As mentioned, you can always seek legal advice elsewhere and you may find it for free. I did that once and it saved me $700 in up front lawyers fees because the lawyer inadvertently told me a lawyer wasn't needed, that laws were already in place for consumer protection. If I hadn't caught that he would've gladly taken my money for further services. Careful and GL!

Beemer

backwheelben

Thanks for the replies lads! The crash was now a year ago.. I've spoken to one solicitor so far and he told me 'Im too far down the line for them to take my claim on, but other solicitors may still take it on.' (In the UK) I spoke to McAms yesterday, and they said that I cannot change solicitor or I will be liable for the hire charges, definitely going to need a second opinion on that.

McAms should be avoided like the plague!

Beemer
7 hours ago, backwheelben said:

Thanks for the replies lads! The crash was now a year ago.. I've spoken to one solicitor so far and he told me 'Im too far down the line for them to take my claim on, but other solicitors may still take it on.' (In the UK) I spoke to McAms yesterday, and they said that I cannot change solicitor or I will be liable for the hire charges, definitely going to need a second opinion on that.

McAms should be avoided like the plague!

To be fare, they've probably had people in the past break it off with them, switch companies and leave them high and dry without payment for their services and their services aren't free. Can't really blame them for that.

Beemer

backwheelben

Yeah Ive spoke to a new solicitor today who are actually bikers themselves! They said I will be able to switch no problem, the other solicitors will still get paid for their work so it shouldn't be an issue. f@#k McAms and what they stand for though, they are the reason insurance is so high, they charge something like £250 a day for the hire bikes!