The MT-07 Forum

Turbo MT-07

Beemer

topazsparrow

I was super excited about this kit until I thought about it more.

1) The kit is more than half the cost of the bike.

2) The power output is still less than an MT-09, which costs less than an MT-07 + turbo kit.

3) Someone got their MT-07 engine up to approximately 100 bhp on NA and it blew the rods. Seems to be the rough limit of the stock internals. I don't think the turbo kit put as much stress on the engine as an equivalent output NA motor though, but still something to consider.

If I had money to blow, i'd probably still do it though...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

I was super excited about this kit until I thought about it more.

1) The kit is more than half the cost of the bike.

2) The power output is still less than an MT-09, which costs less than an MT-07 + turbo kit.

3) Someone got their MT-07 engine up to approximately 100 bhp on NA and it blew the rods. Seems to be the rough limit of the stock internals. I don't think the turbo kit put as much stress on the engine as an equivalent output NA motor though, but still something to consider.

If I had money to blow, i'd probably still do it though...

I skipped around on the video and saw the dyno result of 142.3 h.p. Did I miss something or did you?

Beemer

topazsparrow
21 hours ago, Beemer said:

I skipped around on the video and saw the dyno result of 142.3 h.p. Did I miss something or did you?

Looks like that's what the Dyno showed. Even given some discrepancy, that's too big of a difference to ignore.

I'm guessing the E85 is nicer on the internals? Wonder how long that kind of output is good for.

Damn, 140hp is MT10 territory. 

The product page says its only 125 normally, but then again, there's some evidence the engine can't hold up to over 100 bhp under normal use reliably.

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/yamaha-mt-07-fz-07-turbo-kit

Edited by topazsparrow

4 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Looks like that's what the Dyno showed. Even given some discrepancy, that's too big of a difference to ignore.

I'm guessing the E85 is nicer on the internals? Wonder how long that kind of output is good for.

Damn, 140hp is MT10 territory. 

The product page says its only 125 normally, but then again, there's some evidence the engine can't hold up to over 100 bhp under normal use reliably.

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/yamaha-mt-07-fz-07-turbo-kit

It's impressive but I wouldn't do it. I don't need that kind of power or speed and it would be just too many headaches if I did.

• Like 1

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...
cheesecakesucks
On 6/17/2019 at 10:49 PM, topazsparrow said:

The power output is still less than an MT-09, which costs less than an MT-07 + turbo kit.

That's wheel horsepower, mind you. (I think?)

It's totally on my wish list even though I'm aware of the risks lol

E85 is not necessarily easier on the internals, it just has a higher octane rating so isn't as prone to premature detonation, which lets you squeeze out more power before knock starts to occur.

Edited by cheesecakesucks

• 1 year later...

Would like to see a reaction video of mt/FZ 07 owners and riding this thing for the first time. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 11:30 PM, Kiwii said:

Would like to see a reaction video of mt/FZ 07 owners and riding this thing for the first time. 

That would be fun

I noticed there is a definite change in engine characteristic at 7200 rpm. You can see it by the slope of the curves. The rate of change before 7200 is steeper and after, not as much. You can also feel it with the NA engine and is a function of the basic CP2 engine design. So... the best of both worlds would be a turbo kit which would not produce 142 hp on E85, but one which would be affordable, run fine on premium pump gas, not require internal engine mods, be reliable,  boost the usable range below 7200 rpm but only make 100 hp on top.

• Like 1

Thanks for sending the link. I never met anyone who actually bought one of those kits from Australia. Don't get me wrong, I'm an engineer, associated with Yamaha Corporation and appreciate good ideas and feedback. It's just that it seems to be a bit over-engineered, expensive and a lot of the components not really necessary if you can be "happy" with 100 hp and not have to feed the addiction. To get an idea what I'm talking about, check out my thread over on the FZ09.org forum, "Builds" section, titled Jon's Mild Turbo Build. So far it's got 11k views but only 38 comments, most of them by me. What I'm finding is many people are interested, but few actually buy.

• Like 2

The Extreme Creations kit is good value in my opinion. They’ve sold a couple dozen 07 turbo kits to customers around the world (they also sell 09/Nikon kits).

I agree that 100hp would be near the sweet spot for this bike, but it depends what it’s being used for (drag, circuit, street etc). There’s an Aussie owner with a built turbo engine with greater than 140 rwhp!

I agree with your opinion that the Extreme Creations Kit is for extreme creations with extreme uses. The question I'm asking is whether there would be a market for a $2000 kit that wasn't as extreme. For example, if the kit was offered for sale through GYRT as a factory guaranteed turbo, would there be a demand for this product?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Turbo Jon said:

I agree with your opinion that the Extreme Creations Kit is for extreme creations with extreme uses. The question I'm asking is whether there would be a market for a $2000 kit that wasn't as extreme. For example, if the kit was offered for sale through GYRT as a factory guaranteed turbo, would there be a demand for this product?

I would think so.

Also, did you dyno your turbo fz09 and, or get the AFR data logged?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

19 hours ago, Turbo Jon said:

The question I'm asking is whether there would be a market for a $2000 kit that wasn't as extreme. For example, if the kit was offered for sale through GYRT as a factory guaranteed turbo, would there be a demand for this product?

I reckon there’d be big demand for such a kit.

19 hours ago, blackout said:

I would think so.

Also, did you dyno your turbo fz09 and, or get the AFR data logged?

I used a Gen 3.5 Dobeck fuel controller w/manual adjustment. It had no wide-band O2 sensor feedback like the new Gen 4.0 which does and can be fitted to the MT07. I believe that controller to be ideal for the CP2 engine. Without knowing the AFR exactly, I was hesitant to put it on the dyno and take it to redline. It dynoed stock at 105hp and then I designed for 150hp w/a GT15 turbo which is the same size used by Extreme Creations for the CP2. They chose the larger GT25 for the CP3 which did over 200hp on their stunt bike.

Turbo Muffler.jpg

• Like 2