The MT-07 Forum

First long ride on the fz07

Chomorro

I bought the 2016 fz07 because it was cheap and got good mpg. The one I chose had been in an accident and only had plastic scraps because of the sliders which is why it was cheap. 

First day realized it needed a new rim so went and got that replaced.  So far except for a oil leak somewhere near the shift lever that seems very minor it runs good. 

I have had a street triple r, fz6, zx6, zx6r 636, sv1000, and ninja 1000 most recently.  I sold them all to stop riding years ago and now I'm back on two wheels.

Decided to take this thing on a 2.5 hour freeway trip and I was very impressed.  For how light and low power it was it really handled great even in the high wind areas. It is actually more fun to me to ring this out a little through the gears then have all that power from my other bikes to tame.  Came with a few upgrades and I have never used a phone holder on a bike.   Liked it alot, kept my battery at full using GPS and pandora bluetooth for hours.

My only complaint is the braking power.  The front needs way to much force to stop and the rear feels like it does nothing. Any cheap upgrade suggestions?

Overall I loved my ninja 1000 as my all around bike but it was much heavier then this and  rocket to control.  The 2.5 hour trip back about an hour in I had to take a break,  my ass and wrists were starting to kill me but some of my other bikes were much worse.

20190615_123713.jpg

Oh yeah best part I got 48 to 50 mpg.  About 136 before the light came on.  Using 87 I'm assuming that's fine for it.  Actually a pain trying to find the right angle to gas this for some reason so the auto shutoff doesnt kick in early. Need more practice I guess.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Chomorro said:

My only complaint is the braking power.  The front needs way to much force to stop and the rear feels like it does nothing. Any cheap upgrade suggestions?

Have you had the brakes checked out by a mechanic? You're the first I've heard  to say that the Front brakes take too much force. People are racing with the stock brakes, with only steel braided line upgrades, and I'm sure they'd be upgrading if they needed it.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

FZ07R WaNaB
1 hour ago, Chomorro said:

It's the standard stuff... EBC HH pads and SS brake lines. I've just done the EBC pads in the front which was fine for me. Others have done just the SS brake lines and they were happy. Obviously the combo would be the best. Don't forget to properly bleed both front and rear brakes.

FWIW, the two changes that will make your bike a lot of fun and more of an all-arounder would be a 2WDW flash and an OEM R6 throttle tube. 2WDW is a vendor on this site and you can read a ton of stuff by them. I knew I had a completely different motor within a half block, and that was with the stock exhaust and just the snorkel pulled.

Here's my list of stuff, and you can rest assured that there is a lot more that other folks have done - Enjoy

2WDW Flash

MWR air filter

R6 throttle tube

Bitubo XZE11 shock

Sonic Fork Springs/heavier oil

Michelin PR4 tires

EBC HH front pads

Evotech radiator guard

Shogun frame sliders

OES axle sliders

Mad Hornets levers

Dart Manta windscreen

Barkbuster Storm hand guards

Mirror extenders

Blindspot mirrors

Osram Night Racer light bulb

Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 1

Excellent list! Thank you.

My old rim was so bent and wobbly it may have deformed the brake pads a little.  I will try putting some new ones on and bleeding the brakes.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

If your brake fluid is starting to show its age, replace with fresh brake fluid and properly bleed the brake line. The way the front brake line is configured with it arching over the front fender makes it difficult to get all the air out of the brake line. Check the forum for some good tips to bleed the front brake line. I have Stainless Steel brake lines on my bike and the front brake has 2 separate lines now.

• Like 1

People often mistake chain lube runoff for leaking oil at the shifter, so I'd clean the area right up first and check it's not just lube.

As for the bike, 100% the best thing about the 07 is the exhaust note and it's what make the bike so much fun to ride. I'd be doing this before anything else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

People often mistake chain lube runoff for leaking oil at the shifter, so I'd clean the area right up first and check it's not just lube.

As for the bike, 100% the best thing about the 07 is the exhaust note and it's what make the bike so much fun to ride. I'd be doing this before anything else.

I thought about the Amazon 200 special exhaust but other then that they are too much money for this bike for me.  Maybe I will redo these plastics and make it a nicer bike one day.

I will take off some plastic and clean it up see if it really is leaking.  Thank you!