The MT-07 Forum

6000 mile service

lavabuild

Hi all,  new to the forums and owner of a 2017 MT07 in Ireland.  My bike is now due its 6000 mile service and I was wondering, do I take it to a Yamaha dealer and pay a premium or should I take it to a local garage or even just do a small service myself (change oil and filter).  Wanted to know if there is any more advantage in taking it to a dealer other than to have it in my service book?

Thanks,

lavabuild.

Do it your self. You will learn more about your bike, know the job is done right, save money and have a satisfied feeling of accomplishment..  A service manual is not very expensive for the bike. 

If DIY is out of the question, I would probably take it to a Yamaha dealer before a private bike shop unless that shop is know for working on Yamaha.

If you're planning on keeping the bike for a long time, I'd do it yourself. But if you're the type of person who like to go through bikes a lot (guilty here) then not having the booked stamped could affect the resale. Whether it affects the resale by the same amount as paying Yamaha to service the bike, I'm not sure...

@$90+ hr. labor at a dealership I would do the job myself an save around $60 or less. Just put all your receipts for your oil and filters in a shoe box and slide it under the bed for any future sale. Receipts on a job are good enough for most people when it comes to resale. If you can't do the job yourself I would take it to a reputable bike mechanic. They 'll know how to take off and put on oil filters and drain plugs on any bike without the manual or they aren't a mechanic. 😉

Beemer

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, lavabuild said:

So is the 6000 mile service basically an oil and filter change?

Check the owners manual. It lists all things that are to be done and checked at each mileage interval. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 3 weeks later...

I phoned the yamaha dealer today asking how much the 6000 mile service for my MT07 is.  He said it is £699, mainly due to the valve clearances having to be checked.  Said the 6000 mile service is a big service.  I checked my owners manual and that states the check valve clearances be done every 24000 miles.  Is he talking rubbish or does the 6000 mile service have to include this check?

Just change oil and filter, check, adjust and lubricate things yourself according to the manual. Or, have the dealer perform a simple routine service. Be careful as powersports dealers upsell everything just like the automotive industry does. A valve check at 6000 is excessive and unnecessary. Save yourself a bunch of money and spend it on gas, pizza and beer. 

Happy trails,

This $.02 sponsored by BLR

• Like 2

Thanks Mossrider, I don’t fancy having to spend £699 so think I’ll do it myself according to manual.  Was wondering why a Yamaha dealer was quoting me for work that is not necessary at this stage.  Seems a bit underhand.