The MT-07 Forum

Steering Avoidance Manuevers vs. Emergency Braking

Beemer

Emergency braking is one accident avoidance option but that often fails. 

What I propose are these tips for any rider, not just newbs:

1. Don't just practice emergency stops once in awhile, also practice emergency maneuvering so that it also comes to mind or maybe becomes a reflex when/if the need for it arises. We hear about target fixation causing accidents and many people do not realize that that can play a big part in emergency braking and emergency maneuvers. That is explained @ 1:37 in the video.

2. When you ride behind a car ride to one side so you can see around it to spot brake lights, obstacles and other road hazards and have ample time to react and brake to give warning to others behind you that you're slowing down vs, emergency braking and catching them off guard as well. When you emergency brake others behind you do also and that put's you in even more danger from getting rear ended.

3. Ride to one side of a car so that you also have an escape route instead of being dead center of a car in front of you and eliminating any chance of getting around the vehicle before you hit it. Being centered not only decreases your time to get around a car it increases the angle at which you go around it which could be detrimental by putting you too far into the next lane over and colliding with another vehicle instead. 

Stay frosty, be safe!

Last thing, I hate seeing this. It's fun and cool I know to ride next to and be close to the ones you love and care about but don't ride side by side. You effectively block one another's escaper routes when you do. 

• Like 1

Beemer