Sign in to follow this  
50Joe

First ride after being paralyzed in 2013

mossrider
Posted (edited)

I saw this on the WERA forum. Inspirational.

I hope I get the Honor of gridding up next to you some day.

Welcome back.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

Thrasherg

Amazing, I can only wish you all the best and hope you continue to improve.. Must be an amazing experience to get back on a bike after 6 years, especially with your injuries.. May you have many great days riding and racing..

Gary

• Like 1

Beemer

I can't imagine how you must've felt to ride again after all that time. A flood of emotion no doubt! I'm happy for you! 

• Like 1

Beemer

pgeldz

This is awesome!  Congrats!

• Like 1

Spatt

Hey Joe it was awesome to see you out there this weekend.  If you need anything in the future let me know.

• Like 1

50Joe

Thanks guys. Honestly, I was too busy relearning how to ride in a new way and also absorbing riding with electronic shifting, etc to let emotions creep in. I only got 3 sessions in but during the 3rd session I started to get comfortable and actually felt I was starting to ride again versus just circulate around the track. I exceeded my expectations for the day and look forward to the next one.

• Like 1

mossrider
Posted (edited)

Be careful Joe.

My buddy that I blather on about on this forum made himself a T5 para on a bike and we went thru a lot of the same stuff you have or will during his return to riding/bike build/hand control/balance stuff. This part is all good.

What we didn't plan for was nearly burning his leg off, 18 square inches of 2nd & 3rd degree burns including the tib/fib. We were unprepared and/unaware during our experimentation-build phase and we left his bare leg in front of the re-directed radiator shroud fan on his Spyder when we built his hand controls, floor boards and velcro fastener systems for his attempts at the salt flats land speed record. Then there was that sideswipe of the pickup truck on his ZX12 test mule due to slow landing gear actuators; oh, and the crash into the ditch when the actuators lost pressure and the gear fell while moving, Oops🤕

Anyway, he's on a Spyder now since he has great difficulty with balance and his friends are idiots. I would think you're better off in that regard but please be careful and don't be afraid to holler at your well meaning help if necessary.  

Dave, Seth and the handicrapped death machine

IMG_20190607_165855.thumb.jpg.a4c9781616180829d1068ab320b282a4.jpg

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 2

50Joe

Thanks. My landing gear design will be unique. Each side will be independent and use it's own actuator. The design is being finalized by a fellow racer/designer who is a genius. He sent the design to an engineer friend who works at Cessna for analysis and he said it is way over designed for a landing gear set up. I will also have green and red led's on the dash to notify me when each side is in the up or down position. The speed of our system is only 2 seconds from full up to full down positions. Rekluse makes an auto clutch to fit the FZ so we are doing that too which will make things easier coming to a stop and hitting the landing gear switch.

• Like 2