The MT-07 Forum

First ride after being paralyzed in 2013

50Joe

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, 50Joe said:

The ECU was remapped a few years ago when the Yosh full race exhaust was put on. Andy Palmer at AP Motoarts did that. I know Andy and he said he would remap the ECU again if I find the fueling not quite right after the Hord airbox is installed. I'll probably send him the ECU anyway just so I know I'm all good to go.

BTW, what kind of HP would you estimate the FZ makes with a stock engine, the Yosh exhaust, Hord airbox and ECU remap?

I never had mine on a dyno, but I’m hearing most people are getting 85-87 HP 😎... That intake was the BEST $300 that I spent on my bike!!! Hands-down, it’s the best bang for the buck, nothing else even comes close 👍🏼-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

7 hours ago, 50Joe said:

BTW, what kind of HP would you estimate the FZ makes with a stock engine, the Yosh exhaust, Hord airbox and ECU remap?

Hordpower has the dyno chart on his website. This is with yosh exhaust, intake and ecu tune (otherwise stock engine) compared to standard bike:

image.thumb.png.dd817373b902a6281b8983405ca0dbbb.png

The gains are impressive.

I've just ordered the intake, looking forward to a bit more top end on the track.

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

APs intake is the hordpower airbox if i recall correctly, so he probably has a tune for the airbox already.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

It's about to get real. Bike is all built up and my Proshift electronic shifting system is working. Just gotta get in the Hordpower airbox and she's track worthy. Yes, I have full bodywork that will be installed after a test ride to make sure all systems are go.

FZ built 9-4-20.jpg

Edited by 50Joe
  • Like 5

Test ride yesterday went great until the solenoid for the ProShift electronic shifting system stopped working. It got very hot and stopped pulling. Emailed ProShift and I believe it is a set up issue I need to adjust. If the actuating rod can't travel full distance it will over heat. If that's the only thing I need to fix to be track ready I'll be very happy. Other than that, the bike was awesome and sounded great. I'm also still waiting on my Hordpower airbox.

• Like 3

95+% ready for the track. Just making final adjustments to the ProShift electronic gear shift system and waiting on my Hordpower airbox. Tentatively planning on doing the WERA event at Road Atlanta first weekend in October.

Assemble 0914 A.jpg

Assemble 0914 B.jpg

Assemble 0914 C.jpg

• Like 9

Hordpower airbox on it's way to me with delivery expected Friday. I'll have one week to do additional testing and adjustments prior to the WERA weekend. N2 is running the track day on Friday. It's actually cheaper for me to race on Saturday versus the track day Friday but I think it's probably wise to still do the track day first. Heck, if all goes really well I'll do both.

Magnetic foot hold system installed today. Hordpower airbox should have come today but will tomorrow. That is the very last thing to do and then it's track ready.

Assemble 0925 A.jpg

Assemble 0925 B.jpg

Assemble 0925 C.jpg

• Like 5

Airbox came in and installed. Just need one final test ride to be sure no more tweaks are needed but I'm pretty sure everything is good to go. Ready for Road Atlanta 6 days early. N2 track day is sold out so I'll plan to race LWT SS with WERA on Saturday.

Assemble 0926 A.jpg

Edited by 50Joe
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, 50Joe said:

Airbox came in and installed. Just need one final test ride to be sure no more tweaks are needed but I'm pretty sure everything is good to go. Ready for Road Atlanta 6 days early. N2 track day is sold out so I'll plan to race LWT SS with WERA on Saturday.

Assemble 0926 A.jpg

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Race day last Saturday was about as perfect as it could have been. Bike ran perfect. My adaptions worked perfect. I started from pit lane so I would be at the very back and run my own pace to feel out the bike and learn new techniques riding as a paraplegic. More to come in the future.

• Like 7

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I think it's so cool that you are still getting after it!!! 

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, 50Joe said:

A few pics from the Oct 3 race day at Road Atlanta. It almost looks like I know what I'm doing lol.

Road A Oct3 A.jpg

Congrats on getting back in the saddle. 👍

I read how you used magnetized boots to hold your feet in place which is an inspired solution. Did I miss how you keep your knees tucked to the tank? My first thought would be velcro. I'd love to know what you came up with if you don't mind. ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

27 minutes ago, DewMan said:

My legs pretty much always want to pull inward by themselves. It's referred to as "tone". It's actually a pain in the ass to deal with daily because my legs never want to cooperate. Contrary to public knowledge paralysis doesn't mean you have no feeling and your legs are "dead". Each injury is different. I get leg spasms, tone is almost always there and varying levels of nerve pain 24/7. I have some feeling below my injury level pretty much everywhere. More on my left side.

But, to be on the safe side I do run a velcro strip under my upper legs and around my hips. I found this mainly helps me stay centered on the bike because I found myself using my upper body to try to lean off the bike which is a bad thing because getting my ass back in line with the bike isn't easy or even possible at times. It's years of muscle memory that I have to change. That is what I found hardest come race day.  Time on the bike will resolve this.

Edited by 50Joe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 50Joe said:

My legs pretty much always want to pull inward by themselves. It's referred to as "tone". It's actually a pain in the ass to deal with daily because my legs never want to cooperate. Contrary to public knowledge paralysis doesn't mean you have no feeling and your legs are "dead". Each injury is different. I get leg spasms, tone is almost always there and varying levels of nerve pain 24/7. I have some feeling below my injury level pretty much everywhere. More on my left side.

But, to be on the safe side I do run a velcro strip under my upper legs and around my hips. I found this mainly helps me stay centered on the bike because I found myself using my upper body to try to lean off the bike which is a bad thing because getting my ass back in line with the bike isn't easy or even possible at times. It's years of muscle memory that I have to change. That is what I found hardest come race day.  Time on the bike will resolve this.

Even after 55 yrs on this earth, I only today know how little I know about paralysis. Thanks for the education. It was enlightening and appreciated. 🙂

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
15 hours ago, 50Joe said:

Pics from last weekends track day event hosted by TDW. I'm definitely getting more comfortable riding as a paraplegic and learning things every lap. I'm getting close to the edge of the rear tire so I think I'll need to add a rear link to jack the back end up. Bike worked flawlessly except in one session I had fuel leaking out the Vortex gas cap. I think I just didn't click it down completely because it didn't leak at all the second day.

NCM1.jpg

NCM2.jpg

NCM3.jpg

That's fantastic!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

Looks great, nicely done. Good luck on the track this Fall.

Ed 

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good"