The MT-07 Forum

First ride after being paralyzed in 2013

50Joe

I saw this on the WERA forum. Inspirational.

I hope I get the Honor of gridding up next to you some day.

Welcome back.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

Amazing, I can only wish you all the best and hope you continue to improve.. Must be an amazing experience to get back on a bike after 6 years, especially with your injuries.. May you have many great days riding and racing..

Gary

• Like 1

I can't imagine how you must've felt to ride again after all that time. A flood of emotion no doubt! I'm happy for you! 

• Like 1

Beemer

Thanks guys. Honestly, I was too busy relearning how to ride in a new way and also absorbing riding with electronic shifting, etc to let emotions creep in. I only got 3 sessions in but during the 3rd session I started to get comfortable and actually felt I was starting to ride again versus just circulate around the track. I exceeded my expectations for the day and look forward to the next one.

• Like 2

Be careful Joe.

My buddy that I blather on about on this forum made himself a T5 para on a bike and we went thru a lot of the same stuff you have or will during his return to riding/bike build/hand control/balance stuff. This part is all good.

What we didn't plan for was nearly burning his leg off, 18 square inches of 2nd & 3rd degree burns including the tib/fib. We were unprepared and/unaware during our experimentation-build phase and we left his bare leg in front of the re-directed radiator shroud fan on his Spyder when we built his hand controls, floor boards and velcro fastener systems for his attempts at the salt flats land speed record. Then there was that sideswipe of the pickup truck on his ZX12 test mule due to slow landing gear actuators; oh, and the crash into the ditch when the actuators lost pressure and the gear fell while moving, Oops🤕

Anyway, he's on a Spyder now since he has great difficulty with balance and his friends are idiots. I would think you're better off in that regard but please be careful and don't be afraid to holler at your well meaning help if necessary.  

Dave, Seth and the handicrapped death machine

IMG_20190607_165855.thumb.jpg.a4c9781616180829d1068ab320b282a4.jpg

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 3

Thanks. My landing gear design will be unique. Each side will be independent and use it's own actuator. The design is being finalized by a fellow racer/designer who is a genius. He sent the design to an engineer friend who works at Cessna for analysis and he said it is way over designed for a landing gear set up. I will also have green and red led's on the dash to notify me when each side is in the up or down position. The speed of our system is only 2 seconds from full up to full down positions. Rekluse makes an auto clutch to fit the FZ so we are doing that too which will make things easier coming to a stop and hitting the landing gear switch.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We are shooting to be at Barber either July 13 or 14th for the STT track days. We will be testing out the Rekluse clutch, landing gear should be installed and maybe final version of foot holdment design. Any other FZ07 riders planning on being there?

Just now, 50Joe said:

We are shooting to be at Barber either July 13 or 14th for the STT track days. We will be testing out the Rekluse clutch, landing gear should be installed and maybe final version of foot holdment design. Any other FZ07 riders planning on being there?

We race the following weekend so I can't make it. Hope testing goes well. Have fun and post some pics and a report when you're done.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Haven't been in here in awhile mainly because everything got put on hold pretty much due to life changes with the guy helping me with the adaptions. Anyway, progress is finally moving forward again. All designs are pretty much done (we think). Bike has been torn apart and I just recently got the frame and wheels back from powder coat. I went gloss black on the frame and wheels. Bodywork will be a reverse Yamaha speed block design with the main color being red, black speed blocks, white number areas and lower part of belly pan will be white too. So, hopefully I'll be back on the track this fall. I doubt I'll get out in the summer months because the heat can be too much for my system to handle at times. That's part of having a spinal cord injury, we don't sweat below our injury level making it hard to keep cool.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

So, the guy helping me with the adaptations just hasn't come through for me in a timely manner. I've been very patient but decided I just can't wait any longer. So, he delivered my bike in pieces to my house last weekend. He had taken it down to the frame because I wanted the frame, wheels and other bits powder coated gloss black. I started the build up on my own in a spare bedroom in my house last Monday. I've already almost got the bike assembled. Only things left are assembly of the wheels and installing the throttle bodies, wiring harness and electrics. I'll have it done within the next week. I've got a magnetic foot hold system (race tested) coming in from Finland this week, the Proshift electronic shifting is functional but the landing gear is not. If I have to use friends to catch and release me, I will because I want to be back on track this fall. Anyway, here are pics of my build up. Yea, I'm big time OCD and every single item is being spotlessly cleaned and any bearing or joint is being cleaned and freshly lubes.

Assembly 0720 D.jpg

Assembly 0724 A.jpg

Assembly 0724 B.jpg

Assembly 0724 C.jpg

Assembly 0724 D.jpg

Edited by 50Joe
  • Like 8

You're OCD? Not even. I call it detail oriented.

Get those mats squared up! Sheesh. Seriously tho, rubber shop flooring in the house? I LUV it! Rock on.

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

Joe you have an amazing mind, congratulations. Outstanding return to Motorsports, simply outstanding Sir.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Nice looking build!!! I'm curious about the shock.... Looks to be either a Penske, or a JRI? I've never seen anyone mount the remote reservoir on the bikes right side like that. Is there a reason for that? Most people mount it on the bikes left side. Is there an advantage to having it on the bikes right side? I'm just curious-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

9 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Nice looking build!!! I'm curious about the shock.... Looks to be either a Penske, or a JRI? I've never seen anyone mount the remote reservoir on the bikes right side like that. Is there a reason for that? Most people mount it on the bikes left side. Is there an advantage to having it on the bikes right side? I'm just curious-

Penske. I've raced using Penske shocks for 13 years. I have them custom valved and set up for my weight and riding style. Martin at Traxxion Dynamics is an absolute suspension guru and the only one I let work on my suspension. I can get my stuff from him, bolt it on and not even have to change a clicker he knows me so well.

The reservoir was on the left side close to the shock but I needed to free up that area for the ProShift electronic shifting system solenoid. I had to send the shock to Traxxion to have a longer hose fitted so I could move it to the right side. The left side also needs space for the ProShift downshift blipper box too.

• Thanks 1

Details, details, details. Clean brakes are happy brakes. If you look closely in the one pic you can see the shiny clean caliper piston.

Assembly 0802 A.jpg

Assembly 0802 B.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much progress since last post but several little details done. Just hook up the electrics and the ProShift system and she is ready to be fired up.

Assembly 0814 A.jpg

Assembly 0814 B.jpg

Good to see it stripped back. You can sort of imagine the processes the designers went through.  I want a bike in my lounge. In my case a Honda C125 to stare at.  Not everyone at home wants the same....

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• 3 weeks later...

Life got in the way a wee bit but great progress the past two days. It's all together from an OEM parts standpoint. Bike is still in the house so no gas tank is on it but I turned the ignition on and hit the starter and no strange noises, smells or odd things so I believe I'm good to go. I'm currently in the process of hooking up the ProShift electronic shifting. Once that is done, I can ride it again.

Assemble 0831 A.jpg

Assemble 0831 B.jpg

• Like 7

Screw that airbox. What a PITA. It's blocking my ability to connect a downshift blipper system to the throttle bodies that is part of the ProShift electronic shifting system. I'll have clutchless upshift and downshift when integrated. So, the airbox has gotta go. Technically not LWT SS legal without the OEM airbox but oh well. If someone wants to protest a paralyzed guy so be it.  I am adding about 20 lbs of adaptations to be able to ride it so I would think that would even the playing field back up. I'm going with the Hordpower airbox.

Edited by 50Joe
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, 50Joe said:

Screw that airbox. What a PITA. It's blocking my ability to connect a downshift blipper system to the throttle bodies that is part of the ProShift electronic shifting system. I'll have clutchless upshift and downshift when integrated. So, the airbox has gotta go. Technically not LWT SS legal without the OEM airbox but oh well. If someone wants to protest a paralyzed guy so be it.  I am adding about 20 lbs of adaptations to be able to ride it so I would think that would even the playing field back up. I'm going with the Hordpower airbox.

Not sure what your doing for a fuel controller, but JD Hord has a pretty good map for the PCV. He give it away for free when you buy his intake (if you ask). You will need to tap into the speed sensor, as it re-maps depending on what gear your in. I absolutely LOVE my Hordpower intake!!! I eventually pulled the PCV, and had the 2WDW flash the ECU. It think it pulled about the same with each option. I liked the "ridability" more after the engine braking was removed by 2WDW. Good luck-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

1 hour ago, cornerslider said:

Not sure what your doing for a fuel controller, but JD Hord has a pretty good map for the PCV. He give it away for free when you buy his intake (if you ask). You will need to tap into the speed sensor, as it re-maps depending on what gear your in. I absolutely LOVE my Hordpower intake!!! I eventually pulled the PCV, and had the 2WDW flash the ECU. It think it pulled about the same with each option. I liked the "ridability" more after the engine braking was removed by 2WDW. Good luck-

The ECU was remapped a few years ago when the Yosh full race exhaust was put on. Andy Palmer at AP Motoarts did that. I know Andy and he said he would remap the ECU again if I find the fueling not quite right after the Hord airbox is installed. I'll probably send him the ECU anyway just so I know I'm all good to go.

BTW, what kind of HP would you estimate the FZ makes with a stock engine, the Yosh exhaust, Hord airbox and ECU remap?