The MT-07 Forum

Helmets

Beemer

• Premium Member

Ryan is one of my top 5 favorite Canadians! Cool to see Scorpion get such high praise. I have never ridden in a Scorpion lid, but I did own one when I had a project Ninja 250 I believed I could raise from the dead. It was a Exo 400 and it smelled like chocolate inside!

He is the first person I have heard, to mention how much louder carbon is than thermoplastic. I have ridden in an Icon Alliance and an Airmada. My Alliance got decommissioned after my crash and I replaced it with a Shoei RF1200. The Shoei is a much better helmet in every way, except I have noticed it is much louder than both Icon lids. I thought maybe it was just because it has cut outs for comm speakers, but I thought the difference was more significant than that would account for. Ryan has made me feel better about my sanity.

FZ07R WaNaB

What I found interesting is that he did not show any modular helmets. I don't count that Nolan as it is definitely modular in a sense, but in the current use of the word in helmet land, it does not have the pivoting front.

I'm sure there a lot of people on the forum who do not like modulars as they are less safe than a true full face. I'm not going to argue that as I believe it to be true too. Having said that, I'm never going to buy a conventional full face street helmet (dirt-definitely) again. Modular helmets add a convenience to motorcycle riding that is worth the risk IMHO. When it comes to talking with someone be it a fellow rider, someone on the street or a toll booth operator, it's just a poop load easier to do it. Another huge advantage is when it is seriously hot out (85+ degrees). If you are stuck in stop-and-go traffic or even at a red light, it's amazing how much cooler it is when you open the whole front of your helmet. Those air vents do nothing when you are not moving. Plus it readily allows the use of water bottles rather than those hydration bladders which are freaking bacteria breeding grounds. It's better for folks wearing glasses too (thanks elmo!)

I was at the Progressive Bike Show a couple of years ago, and talked with several of the factory helmet vendors. What I came up with was what is arguably the best bang for the buck in modulars - HJC IS-Max 2 which is my current helmet. The Shoei was 2.5 times more expensive, and felt like crap in comparison. I'm sure it was likely more quiet and lighter, but comfort is more important to me.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-is-max-2-helmet-solid

BTW, I'm glad to see that Revzilla is now indicating the shape of the helmet. This is hugely important especially if your head is not the same shape as the helmet - Yes, there are different shaped heads. That's one of the reasons why you get hot spots/headaches from improperly fitting helmets. Take a look on the link, and in the Product Details on the right is the info on shape. FWIW, take a look at "what's this" to get an educaton on the head sizes.

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 1

Agree, I have HJC IS-Max 2,  while not as safe as my RF1200  for the track, its comfortable and very convent for riders who wear glasses. 

• Like 1