The MT-07 Forum

Drunk Driver

Beemer

See...things like this make me furious. If you have money to go out and get hammered, you have money to take an Uber or a Lyft home. There really is no excuse for getting behind the wheel while intoxicated. I actually lost one of my friends a few years back because some drunk moron managed to get on the an exit ramp going the wrong way causing a head-on collision. And the drunk driver walked away a-okay.

I find it even worse lately because it's not even just alcohol anymore. Now you've got people driving around after shooting/sniffing heroin and passing out at the wheel. It's incredible.

Definitely keep your head on a swivel while on the road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beemer said:

Stay frosty out there!

And the driver that's filming is not wearing a seatbelt. look at the dashboard light at 0:27

As a LEO, I pulled or helped pull quite a few barely alive/dying/dead people out of vehicles involved in crashes caused by an intoxicated driver while the idiot that caused it is walking around wondering what happened (like the driver in the video trying to start his car).  I've pulled from babies up to great-grandmothers bodies out trying to see if we could save them.  Sometimes you can, sometimes not.

The anger I felt towards the driver was almost blinding.  But, somehow, cops manage to not shoot/strangle/beat the pulp out of them right then and there (sometimes by the skin of their teeth with my Irish temper). 

Then I had the most miserable task in the world, which is to go inform the spouse, parents, etc... that their loved one is dead.  More than once I've been to a home where a wife (now widow) and their children were waiting supper for Daddy to come home and eat.  The food is staying warm in the kitchen, the table is set for what is now one to many.  The wife somehow always knows something is up when she opens the door, you can see it on her face.   Want to see a cop's tears?  Talk to him after one of these calls.  I'd rather have done just about anything than that part of the job.

If you go out drinking, have fun.  Nothing wrong with that.  But if you or anyone else thinks that maybe you should call for a ride, then CALL FOR A RIDE or stay where you're at if possible.   A $50.00 charge for a ride is exponentially less than a DWI or Intoxicated Manslaughter charge (and the civil suits and guilt that can go along with them). Call a taxi service, a lot of companies drive drunks home at no charge if they cannot pay.  A few police departments and sheriff's offices have programs to get drunks home safely (there just has to be a responsible, sober party there to take charge of them when they get home).

Be a kid while the party's going on, but be a grownup when the party's over.

Please, be responsible when you drink.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, scat2me said:

And the driver that's filming is not wearing a seatbelt. look at the dashboard light at 0:27

I do that sometimes, it's no big deal.

Beemer

1 hour ago, rider said:

As a LEO, I pulled or helped pull quite a few barely alive/dying/dead people out of vehicles involved in crashes caused by an intoxicated driver while the idiot that caused it is walking around wondering what happened (like the driver in the video trying to start his car).  I've pulled from babies up to great-grandmothers bodies out trying to see if we could save them.  Sometimes you can, sometimes not.

The anger I felt towards the driver was almost blinding.  But, somehow, cops manage to not shoot/strangle/beat the pulp out of them right then and there (sometimes by the skin of their teeth with my Irish temper). 

Then I had the most miserable task in the world, which is to go inform the spouse, parents, etc... that their loved one is dead.  More than once I've been to a home where a wife (now widow) and their children were waiting supper for Daddy to come home and eat.  The food is staying warm in the kitchen, the table is set for what is now one to many.  The wife somehow always knows something is up when she opens the door, you can see it on her face.   Want to see a cop's tears?  Talk to him after one of these calls.  I'd rather have done just about anything than that part of the job.

If you go out drinking, have fun.  Nothing wrong with that.  But if you or anyone else thinks that maybe you should call for a ride, then CALL FOR A RIDE or stay where you're at if possible.   A $50.00 charge for a ride is exponentially less than a DWI or Intoxicated Manslaughter charge (and the civil suits and guilt that can go along with them). Call a taxi service, a lot of companies drive drunks home at no charge if they cannot pay.  A few police departments and sheriff's offices have programs to get drunks home safely (there just has to be a responsible, sober party there to take charge of them when they get home).

Be a kid while the party's going on, but be a grownup when the party's over.

Please, be responsible when you drink.

When I lived in Austin, Tx. I was always going out with friends to clubs, the Saxon Pub on South Lamar being my favorite dive close by and since we always knew we would get pretty buzzed we simply split the tab for a cab which usually cost each person what one premium beer cost. 

• Thanks 1

Beemer

7 hours ago, Beemer said:

I do that sometimes, it's no big deal.

Well, the seatbelt is there for a reason. Granted it's not as serious as drunk driving however if you have ever lost a friend or relative because they weren't wearing their seat belt it is a big deal.

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 5:44 AM, scat2me said:

Well, the seatbelt is there for a reason. Granted it's not as serious as drunk driving however if you have ever lost a friend or relative because they weren't wearing their seat belt it is a big deal.

Agreed, it's very sad if you've lost someone that way but even so, you can't lose sight of the fact that everyone is human and makes those same mistakes or similar ones like forgetting to use a turn signal, forgetting to turn on your headlights when it's getting dark, etc, etc. I'm just saying we should be more forgiving when we see others being human, nothing more. 

• Like 2

Beemer

On 9/5/2019 at 10:43 PM, fzar said:

How much, or how far removed? Generationally?

Daddy's people were Irish and came in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  Mom's people came from Ireland and Scotland around the same time I think.  Supposedly, somewhere there's some English blood mixed in.  Never really studied it.  But the temper runs in the family.  Not violent or evil, just a righteous, slow anger.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:09 AM, Beemer said:

Agreed, it's very sad if you've lost someone that way but even so, you can't lose sight of the fact that everyone is human and makes those same mistakes or similar ones like forgetting to use a turn signal, forgetting to turn on your headlights when it's getting dark, etc, etc. I'm just saying we should be more forgiving when we see others being human, nothing more. 

And none of my motorcycles have seat belts on them *shrug*

@rider much respect to you

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/8/2019 at 11:03 PM, rider said:

Daddy's people were Irish and came in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  Mom's people came from Ireland and Scotland around the same time I think.  Supposedly, somewhere there's some English blood mixed in.  Never really studied it.  But the temper runs in the family.  Not violent or evil, just a righteous, slow anger.

So basically none, give me a break over here. Go Ride.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, fzar said:

So basically none, give me a break over here. Go Ride.

?  Dude, I just said I had an Irish temper.  It's a saying.  Never claimed to be anything.  You asked, I answered.  I'm an American.  And I ride most days.   (But I do like Guiness (yes, I know it's based in London and is brewed in places other than Ireland), and Murphy's if I can find it (yes, I know it's owned by Heineken). 

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, rider said:

?  Dude, I just said I had an Irish temper.  It's a saying.  Never claimed to be anything.  You asked, I answered.  I'm an American.  And I ride most days.   (But I do like Guiness (yes, I know it's based in London and is brewed in places other than Ireland), and Murphy's if I can find it (yes, I know it's owned by Heineken). 

I was just messing.

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, rider said:

It's all good.  I'll spring for a couple of Murphy's if we ever meet up.

If you want the real Deal: Try Beamish: http://beamish.ie/our-beers/ I'll add that even though Guinness is owned by Adagio they have not changed a thing in the brewing process in ST. Jame's Gate, Dublin. Their is too many connoisseurs that would throw them under the bus at a thought of a change in its taste, Granted there has been changes in the bulleit bourbon processing in Baltimore, Maryland. I'm sure the Caribbean and African breweries have made some changes to their equipment to keep up with the O.G as Africa the continent and the Caribbean Islands drink more Guinness per capita than anywhere else in the world. (Especially, Jamaica and Montserrat)

Murphys is also more or less been kept the same, (micro-brewery-ish) . Heineken bought it to have a physical location in Ireland, Cork to be precise. Its far easier to ship and store their products in Cork as its closer to almost any port in Holland and they get huge tax breaks from the government,as do Apple, Pfizer, EMC, Warner Lambert, etc. 

Anyway, I was busting balls. If we ever do meet then I'll take you up on that offer. I'm breaking my back to get to either Barber, or Dunlop invite only, at Hallett ,outside Tulsa OK, within the next few weeks. I'm in Northwest Arkansas btw. 

Slainte.

Personally, I think it's a little on the hypocritical side for a motorcyclist to point a finger at anyone else on the road and accuse them of not protecting themselves when the only thing that's going to absorb their impact in a crash is their body. 

Beemer