The MT-07 Forum

Side stand lubrication

blakemuhhfukn

blakemuhhfukn

Anyone had to do this before? My kickstand no longer retracts with gusto so I'm thinking it needs some lube. My owners manual says to have it checked by a dealer but that's not really my style ( I am still learning). Remove the spring, nut, bolt, stand, clean everything and lube the pivot plus any metal touching other metal and put it back together? Am I missing something or is it really that easy? If it is why have this done at a dealer?

I tried doing some searching but anything with lube had 100 results for the chain, and I couldn't find anything related to the side stand/kickstand. 

Thanks in advance!

TheAbhartach

I looked it up, and per the Yamaha service manual:

"lubricate the pivoting point, metal-to-metal moving parts and spring contact point of the side-stand." Also per the service manual, the recommended lubricant is lithium-soap-based grease.

All that said, I think it's easy to overthink something like this. Just get in there and grease it up.

• Thanks 1

blakemuhhfukn
2 hours ago, TheAbhartach said:

All that said, I think it's easy to overthink something like this. Just get in there and grease it up.

cool man, thank you! I'll get it done this weekend

4 hours ago, TheAbhartach said:

"lubricate the pivoting point, metal-to-metal moving parts and spring contact point of the side-stand." Also per the service manual, the recommended lubricant is lithium-soap-based grease.

That my friend would make a great Tee Shirt       "Just get in there and grease it up"

21 hours ago, TheAbhartach said:

Another oil/lubricant thread debacle, good job!

Beemer