The MT-07 Forum

Water in engine with snorkel removed

captainkool4

captainkool4

I have snorkel removed and drove in heavy rain.  My bike bogged down and stalled. I has to keep throttle on to keep it from stalling.  Now I'm wondering what I should do to make sure I don't have any lasting problems from what I assume is water that got in through the air  intake.  Oil sight check looks nornal not Millky.  Gonna put snorkel back on.  Any ideas? The idle sounds funk too, it's like up and down and up and down a little 

Edited by captainkool4

How heavy was the rain?  I've been caught in a quick downpour with my Hordpower intake and it was fine.  Seems like water might have gotten into something electronic maybe?

• Premium Member

Heavy rain- drain airbox?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

captainkool4
1 hour ago, djfz07 said:

How heavy was the rain?  I've been caught in a quick downpour with my Hordpower intake and it was fine.  Seems like water might have gotten into something electronic maybe?

It was pretty heavy, but right when I noticed the bogged down feeling and low revs at idle, I stalled it in second gear by trying to take off from stopped in 2nd gear.  Then I turned the bike back on and it was bogged down, and low revs at idle like its gonna stall (1k rpm about but it's kinda eratic now).  

I looked in the oil site and it doesn't look milky, I also felt the inside of my air filter this morning and didn't feel any wetness (but maybe that doesn't matter- could have evaporated).

Got no idea what to do might resort to the shop.

captainkool4
2 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Heavy rain- drain airbox?

The Airfilter wasn't wet, u saying I should take the filter out and drain something else? Wouldn't it be to o late if I've driven around? 

• Premium Member
Just now, captainkool4 said:

The Airfilter wasn't wet, u saying I should take the filter out and drain something else? Wouldn't it be to o late if I've driven around? 

Look under the airbox on clutch side for a clear rubber cap...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

captainkool4
4 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Look under the airbox on clutch side for a clear rubber cap...

Thanks for the help...i DK what u mean by airbox

bartman5impson
6 hours ago, captainkool4 said:

Thanks for the help...i DK what u mean by airbox

I think he means the "air filter check hose" on the left side of the bike:

air filter check hose.PNG

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I bet something else is going on and not water in your intake system.  The snorkel is mostly for quieting engine intake noise.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

captainkool4
3 hours ago, blackout said:

I bet something else is going on and not water in your intake system.  The snorkel is mostly for quieting engine intake noise.

Could it have had something to do with me stalling it out in 2n gear?  Then restarting befedown downshifting?  

• Global Moderator
9 hours ago, captainkool4 said:

Could it have had something to do with me stalling it out in 2n gear?  Then restarting befedown downshifting?  

Not likely

As for water intrusion, I think it's likely an electrical issue over water in the motor

Back in Feb I rode for nearly 8 hours in torrential rain from Phoenix to LA 

I had issues with turn signals and cluster water intrusion but nothing in the air filter and I don't have a snorkel and have also removed some of the air baffles from the scoops

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

My turn signals always mess up in the rain and when I was - still trying to sort that out. I took out the relay which is already waterproof on the body and reheatshrunk the cable and put liquid tape over connections, also sprayed liquid graphite in connector so we'll see if that fixes it.

captainkool4
On 6/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, lilneddy said:

Do this first. If you don't know exactly what the cause is, you start with the most simple task.

image.png.eb1772d00d0835c41ea5c5b486f8dcfa.png

It was dry nothing in it.  I've accepted maybe I'm crazy and nothing is wrong, but I swear at idle the bike hunts around a lot and seems to almost stall sometimes when revs drop to 1k

Any water intrusion through the airbox doesn't go into the bottom end of the motor, it goes through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust. Assuming it's even enough to fill the box to the level of the intake runners and yet not enough to hydro lock the motor, in which case you'd be dead in the water, so to speak. 

If the air filter and inside of the box are dry you don't have water in the motor.

I've run my bike for years with no bodywork/fender protection, no filter, no airbox lid and no water issues of any kind despite running many times for many hours in torrential rain.

Any problem you think you may have is as others have suggested, electrical or as you have suggested, imaginary. 

Rock on. 

captainkool4
5 hours ago, mossrider said:

Any water intrusion through the airbox doesn't go into the bottom end of the motor, it goes through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust. Assuming it's even enough to fill the box to the level of the intake runners and yet not enough to hydro lock the motor, in which case you'd be dead in the water, so to speak. 

If the air filter and inside of the box are dry you don't have water in the motor.

I've run my bike for years with no bodywork/fender protection, no filter, no airbox lid and no water issues of any kind despite running many times for many hours in torrential rain.

Any problem you think you may have is as others have suggested, electrical or as you have suggested, imaginary. 

Rock on. 

Any chance it's from the ecu flash?  I never noticed the issue before having my ecu reflashed for my akra ti by 2wdw

There's always a 'chance'. Every time we mess with something on the machine we introduce/increase the chance, however slight,  for a problem over leaving that system alone. I would make sure everthing (sensors, electrical connections, switches etc) is dry, properly connected and functioning first. 

One thing I've done in the past to see if something was 'in my head' was to have someone I trust ride the snot out of it without telling them anything of the suspected problem to see if they pick up the same idea/feeling/sense/or whatever.  Disclaimer: I'm not talking about dangerous conditions here like no brakes.