The MT-07 Forum

Fluid inside

7fold

Not sure if this would go here or the general discussion, but mods feel free to move it if I picked the wrong one. 

I just came across this article in my news feed and found it pretty interesting. I've never heard of this before and didn't realize it was a thing, but it makes sense. Protection against both linear and torsional impacts seems solid. 

Link to the article I saw:

fluid-inside-motocross-helmet.jpg

Protecting the head the “natural” way.

Link to the actual site for anyone who's interested:

I'm wondering this'll catch on with other helmet manufacturers if it hasn't already. 

• Premium Member

Interesting but I'm not sure the assumed extra weight of using liquid instead of Foam, in certain areas of the helmet, would be appreciated by most riders.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Good point, more weight isn't particularly a good thing for a helmet. The pods do seem thin though, I'm wondering how much extra weight they actually add. I don't see any mention of it on their site. 

• Global Moderator

Apparantly Fox racing teamed up with FI to manufacture a new motocross helmet, and despite adding the pods, and a crash/crumple cage the V3 helmet only gained about 50g

• Thanks 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
Fox-V3-Helmet-Zebra.jpg

A new Fox Racing motocross helmet is expected to be announced this week. Several Fox athletes were...

Shows weight at 1350g where the previous version is about 1300(1280-1299g) depending on source/shell size

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Even though our head is filled with liquid to protect our brain from slamming into the skull it can't protect as intended in all situations. That means the helmet can't either so the question is just how effective is the helmet because if it doesn't help much or not at all you've wasted your money. Further testing should help to clarify that a little but not totally because we can't mimic every crash scenario.

Beemer