The MT-07 Forum

Upgrade Advice

tforeman

Hey all,

I’m looking to make some upgrades to my 2016 FZ-07, and wanted to get some input from the community. 

Please see below:

Exhaust - Akrapovic full exhaust (carbon fiber/carbon fiber)

Air Filter - K&N Filter

ECU Flash - 2WDW

Handlebars - Woodcraft clip-ons (one inch riser). Would install down.

Levers - CRG RC2 (both clutch and brake)

Grips - Pro Grip 719 RVGS

Radiator Guard - R&G Racing

Headlight - LED (please provide suggestions)

I’ve been looking into these items for the past week, and have been reviewing previous posts on related topics. But before I pull the trigger, I wanted to get some feedback.

I ride moderately, mostly on the weekends (twistys), and besides the exhaust, air filter, and ECU flash, my upgrades are mostly for aesthetics.

I would love to here any input, alternative recommendations, etc.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Suspension would be my first choice...the rest is up to you...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Well, since aesthetics come first I recommend start buying the cheaper stuff first so that your lil monster will be looking like a rock star that much sooner. The list you have looks good enough to me, all nice stuff. is price a factor? Do you want premium or just whatever functions well and looks good doing it for a decent price?

Since you are definitely requesting suggestions on the headlight my recommendation is to get what many people here have bought and that is a Cyclops LED headlight. I have the 10k lumens LED and I love it for it's brightness, how the light spreads out to light up the sides of the roads a little also so that you can spot animals attempting to run across the road. A lot of backroads around me here so it's a plus.

I have to say, there are other lights, not necessarily LED's that do certain things better but they also lack certain things. For example they are super focused and bright but I don't like the sharp cut-off from light to dark. I like the light spreading out and fading so as to at least light up something a little at distance and give you a chance to spot it vs not see it at all. So, overall I really like this light. Here's a video clip that I made of it. Note that the ambient light somewhat gets in the way of how effective the light actually is, especially to the sides. GL!

https://youtu.be/DEgqhtnuyP4

Beemer

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

Suspension would be my first choice...the rest is up to you...

Ok, thanks. Any suggestions on suspension?

20 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Well, since aesthetics come first I recommend start buying the cheaper stuff first so that your lil monster will be looking like a rock star that much sooner. The list you have looks good enough to me, all nice stuff. is price a factor? Do you want premium or just whatever functions well and looks good doing it for a decent price?

Since you are definitely requesting suggestions on the headlight my recommendation is to get what many people here have bought and that is a Cyclops LED headlight. I have the 10k lumens LED and I love it for it's brightness, how the light spreads out to light up the sides of the roads a little also so that you can spot animals attempting to run across the road. A lot of backroads around me here so it's a plus.

I have to say, there are other lights, not necessarily LED's that do certain things better but they also lack certain things. For example they are super focused and bright but I don't like the sharp cut-off from light to dark. I like the light spreading out and fading so as to at least light up something a little at distance and give you a chance to spot it vs not see it at all. So, overall I really like this light. Here's a video clip that I made of it. Note that the ambient light somewhat gets in the way of how effective the light actually is, especially to the sides. GL!

https://youtu.be/DEgqhtnuyP4

Thanks. Quality is more important to me than price. I’m willing to put money into this bike as I do not intend to ever get rid of it.

If I do move on to another bike, I’ll still hold on to this one. I love how customizable the FZ-07 is, which is why I was drawn to it.

I read about this light in another thread and it was first on my radar to investigate further. The post was quite similar to yours, was this you?

I appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tforeman said:

Thanks. Quality is more important to me than price. I’m willing to put money into this bike as I do not intend to ever get rid of it.

If I do move on to another bike, I’ll still hold on to this one. I love how customizable the FZ-07 is, which is why I was drawn to it.

I read about this light in another thread and it was first on my radar to investigate further. The post was quite similar to yours, was this you?

I appreciate the feedback.

Many people have talked about Cyclops headlights so it could've been anyone. I would have to see the post to be sure. No name next to the post??? That's odd.

Beemer

For function and aesthetics I have only bought an Evotech rad guard. I have passed on the rest of your items.  Even the suspension I have kept standard because for my kind of riding it copes most of the time. 

• Thanks 1

Just do it! 

• Global Moderator

I used to think the suspension was okay, but after I got it done I could not believe the difference.  I have a Nitron R1 shock and Matris F15K forks, both bought from Matt in the supporting vendor forum.  I also love the 2WDW flash (which I am running with a stock exhaust).  The Cyclops LED headlight is great, and I like my Seat Concepts seat.  That should deplete the budget for a while ;) .

• Thanks 1

FZ07R WaNaB

My Stuff....

2WDW Flash

MWR air filter

R6 throttle tube

Bitubo XZE11 shock

Sonic Fork Springs/heavier oil

Michelin PR5 tires

EBC HH front pads

Evotech front radiator guard

GYTR side radiator guards

Shogun frame sliders

OES axle sliders

Mad Hornets levers

Dart Manta windscreen

Barkbuster Storm hand guards

Mirror extenders

Blindspot mirrors

Osram Night Racer light bulb

Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn

I haven't added anything new in over a year, and I have no desire to do so. Like I have been saying, I may as well get a KTM 790 Duke or a Triumph Street Triple R before I spend anymore money on my FZ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

My Stuff....

2WDW Flash

MWR air filter

R6 throttle tube

Bitubo XZE11 shock

Sonic Fork Springs/heavier oil

Michelin PR5 tires

EBC HH front pads

Evotech front radiator guard

GYTR side radiator guards

Shogun frame sliders

OES axle sliders

Mad Hornets levers

Dart Manta windscreen

Barkbuster Storm hand guards

Mirror extenders

Blindspot mirrors

Osram Night Racer light bulb

Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn

I haven't added anything new in over a year, and I have no desire to do so. Like I have been saying, I may as well get a KTM 790 Duke or a Triumph Street Triple R before I spend anymore money on my FZ.

DewMan and I were talking about that the other day. We both agreed that although it costs more, the Triumph Street Triple would likely be our next bike of choice if we had to get new bikes. It has so much more than the MT-07 and h.p. wise you aren't going to match it with any build.

• Like 1

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had my bike for 1100 miles, my mods are storage and Aesthetics, but I would say the R6 throttle tube made a magnificent difference in how the bike rides

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/27/2019 at 8:45 AM, Beemer said:

DewMan and I were talking about that the other day. We both agreed that although it costs more, the Triumph Street Triple would likely be our next bike of choice if we had to get new bikes. It has so much more than the MT-07 and h.p. wise you aren't going to match it with any build.

675 or 765? I'm at a crossroads as to what to do, I don't know if I want to pump more money into my FZ-07 at the moment, when I could put it towards a (765 used) in a year or so. I'd keep the FZ-07 because I love it. AHH feck it, I'll join the RABBIT HOLE CLUB.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, fzar said:

675 or 765? I'm at a crossroads as to what to do, I don't know if I want to pump more money into my FZ-07 at the moment, when I could put it towards a (765 used) in a year or so. I'd keep the FZ-07 because I love it. AHH feck it, I'll join the RABBIT HOLE CLUB. 

765. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

The CP3 motor platform is a perfect match for the CP2 motor platform... Both are pretty close in performance till they are just past 1/8 mile then the CP3 starts running away till it settles in at 160mph( 1/4 mile your trapping at approx 140-145)...

The little ole HP-07( Hordpower -07) is an inner city/urban 2 wheel version of an A-10 and the FJ/FZ/Tracer 900 is like an hybird F-18/F-22 which can be used in almost all theaters of 2 wheel road combat and a F-22 is your R1s, Kawi H2s, Bimmer 1000s...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW