The MT-07 Forum

Long distance trip

dfhzcnc

Anyone considering take your 07 for a long distance trip? I mean something like 1500 miles. Since I got no experience on that, I hope you guys can give me some suggestions.

Only a fraction of what you are planning but have done 2 trips
one of 320 one of 360 miles, only problem is the fuel tank is
a little on the small side and had a couple of nail biters
looking for fuel, when it starts flashing you have about 40
miles if you back off to 50mph but would recommend getting fuel
before that.

• Premium Member

No way I could do a trip like that. My body doesn't take sitting on a bike for more than an hour before I have to get off for a few minutes. Plus the tank is only good for 100-125ish miles which would be a lot of refueling. Also the lack of windshield would possibly get annoying. I'm not saying it couldn't be done....but no way I would attempt it, especially on this bike. Just my 2 cents.

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

• Premium Member

I dunno.. I average 160-180 on a full tank before the reserve kicks in, riding mildly. Carry a MSR fuel bottle for another 30 miles or so if you get stuck and I'd think refueling wouldn't be too bad.

My longest ride is about 2 hours. Wasn't very uncomfortable, but stretching the legs now and again is nice.

Everything went braap.

Ah rookies... LOL

I'm a IBA Bunburner 1500 member. That mean 1500 miles under 24 hrs! I did that on my FZ6R few years ago on a 4K miles week trip to Laconia Bike week from West Palm Beach. Also did a 2K trip this summer on the FZ09 to the Gaps. I had to cut my trip short and get back for emergency. 900 miles back home in 14 hrs. Thats a lot of miles with just a fly screen! LOL

I didn't spend much time on the FZ07 but I think that bike will make an awesome IBA bike if set up properly. The way the fuel tank is made/fit it won't be too hard to either fit a bigger one or add a additional tank.

Ah rookies... LOL 
I'm a IBA Bunburner 1500 member. That mean 1500 miles under 24 hrs! I did that on my FZ6R few years ago on a 4K miles week trip to Laconia Bike week from West Palm Beach. Also did a 2K trip this summer on the FZ09 to the Gaps. I had to cut my trip short and get back for emergency. 900 miles back home in 14 hrs. Thats a lot of miles with just a fly screen! LOL

I didn't spend much time on the FZ07 but I think that bike will make an awesome IBA bike if set up properly. The way the fuel tank is made/fit it won't be too hard to either fit a bigger one or add a additional tank.
Hi marthy, can you give me more details about things that I need to set up for my 07?  Also, when you mentioned additional tank, did you mean carry extra fuel container?

Thank you for your update, I found it very helpful!

As hobbs said, MSR tanks are great, but 180 miles per tank is what you want, because you will NEED to stop. You are not limited by gas, you are not limited by the weather, you are not even limited by the wife, you are only limited by your butt. It will be numb.
Get MSR bags, a windshield, saddle bags and a good gel seat. See phyciocc bike's Here as an example.

Ah rookies... LOL 

My experience with the FZ07 is very minimal. If you get 180 miles a tank, it's a good start. My 6R was getting 150 a tank and still was able to hammer some miles. By regulation IBA max fuel range is 300 miles between stop or 11 gals max. So if IBA was my goal I would like to get a tank that allowed me to get close the that number. Necessary, not at all but sometime it would be nice to do a longer stint to get longer rest later in the day.

Hard luggage set and a best comfy seat that money can buy would be priority. I'll go for a MRA touring screen with the adjustable lip. A spare fuel can would be good to have if you think of riding where gas station are far apart... peace of mind more than anything. Some sort of cruise control (throttle lock) would be useful too. A set of Progrip 714 are nice too... I have those on the FZ6R and FZ09. They're just a bit bigger and have damp handlebar vibration very well.  
Hi marthy, can you give me more details about things that I need to set up for my 07?  Also, when you mentioned additional tank, did you mean carry extra fuel container?

I rode mine 850 miles in September San Diego to Albuquerque (mostly off the interstate), the bike is great. Without a windscreen the fastest pace that's comfortable for long periods is 70-75. Who cares about small gas tank; I don't go more than a couple hours between breaks (if I wanted an interstate cruiser I'd have bought a Gold Wing). And I got 57.5 mpg. Stay off the interstate and enjoy the back roads and scenery; you'll love this bike.

I rode mine 850 miles in September San Diego to Albuquerque (mostly off the interstate), the bike is great. Without a windscreen the fastest pace that's comfortable for long periods is 70-75. Who cares about small gas tank; I don't go more than a couple hours between breaks (if I wanted an interstate cruiser I'd have bought a Gold Wing). And I got 57.5 mpg. Stay off the interstate and enjoy the back roads and scenery; you'll love this bike.
Thank you rogerfkropf! I guess stay off the interstate would be a good way for 07 to travel long distance. And you are right because high mpg on this bike kinda makes up to its small tank limitation. 

• 2 months later...

I'm planning a trip from the San Fernando Valley to Santa Fe, New Mexico to visit some old friends after winter and when the weather warms up, Excited!

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

I rode 682 miles Thursday. Jacksonville to Hollywood Fl. and back in 14 hours. I have to say if it wasnt for the temp. and it raining it would have much more enjoyable. I was managing about 150 per tank. Bike is completely stock and did awesome. Definately would benefit from a windscreen.

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• 4 weeks later...

For longer rides or over night rides, 

I am looking at the FW moto Blaze Panniers, the are very quickly removable, they go on fast, and come off just as fast, and when off just one small clip is all that is visible, they would add a lot of versatility to the FZ-07, maybe a tank bag too, and or a backpack tied over top center of panniers.

The Blaze Panniers are expandable to

I dont have these panniers yet but they do get good reviews and look to be a quality build.

video review

This video shows a back pack added between the panniers

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

Bringing back this old thread. I'm going on a trip tomorrow up NorCal to HWY 36 from Camarillo. The trip up north before I even get started will be 635 miles. From there I will travel HWY 36 which is 140 miles of twisty roads before I loop back up north on HWY 5 to take HWY 299 back towards the 101. Overall the entire trip will be approx 1600 miles. I don't have anything special. No windscreen because I hated it when I had one. Too much wind noise and buffeting. I had gotten saddle bags but then returned them because I wasn't comfortable having to split lanes with them on not being able to gauge how wide I would be. I have a backpack with a waist strap and sternum strap that takes all the pressure off my shoulders to make it more comfortable. If it gets too uncomfortable, I'll loosen it up and let the weight set on the back seat. After I return I'll report back.

• Premium Member

Going on a 700 km trip tommorrow here is my setup. It touches up on a couple issues brought up on this thread.

-New seat
-Tail bag and Saddlebags
-Dart mants windscreen
-EJK which I think offers better fuel mileage?

crescentwrench
Going on a 700 km trip tommorrow here is my setup. It touches up on a couple issues brought up on this thread. 
-New seat
-Tail bag and Saddlebags
-Dart mants windscreen
-EJK which I think offers better fuel mileage?

What tail bag is that?

Archived