The MT-07 Forum

Removing the tank fairings on the 2018+ MT07

Wintersdark

• mjh937 pinned this topic
  • Global Moderator

@Wintersdark, thanks for the great "how-to".  I made it sticky so it will stay on the front page and be easy for people to find. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this!! I find these write-ups substantially more useful over videos. Nice clear pictures and comments. Made getting my snorkel out a 10 minute job!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 8:36 PM, paxx said:

Thanks for this!! I find these write-ups substantially more useful over videos. Nice clear pictures and comments. Made getting my snorkel out a 10 minute job!

Thanks!  I'm in much the same boat - I really prefer to have pictures I can reference while doing a job without worrying about scrobbling back and forth, and dealing with bad camera work/lighting/rambling guy/poor focus/etc. 

*Good* videos are ok, but very difficult to make requiring multiple people and expensive equipment.  

This is the magic of forums though.  Much easier to archive this sort of stuff.

• Like 1

bartman5impson
On 8/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, paxx said:

I don't know about the newer model, but on the <2017 fz07 you don't need to remove the fairings to remove the snorkel. You just remove the rider's seat and pull the snorkel towards the handlebars till it comes loose.

22 hours ago, bartman5impson said:

I don't know about the newer model, but on the <2017 fz07 you don't need to remove the fairings to remove the snorkel. You just remove the rider's seat and pull the snorkel towards the handlebars till it comes loose.

In hindsight you are probably correct. I wasn't sure how it was mounted so I removed the cover to make sure nothing was clipped in. Unless you have  a bendable screwdriver you need to lift the tank to get at the screws. Turns out it was just seated using the molded rubber. Could have just pulled it out.

• 3 months later...

This just saved my ass big time. I’m super familiar with removing the old style bodywork from watching Jake the snake and turbo Twinkie a few dozen times. 

I went to yank my ecu today and realized I actually had no idea how to do it. Then landed here. 

pretty dope I got the ecu out removing *literally* 4 screws and took about 5 mins. Big improvement in the design over the old style body. Dropping it in the mail Monday, can’t wait... it’s gonna be a long week of not riding and sweet anticipation 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Josh2019mt07

I all ready  knew how to do this but stopped in to check out your how to and just wanted to say good job on this write up.  This is how more of them should be done. Love how you used the red circles and writing on the images to point out everything. Nice job!

• 5 months later...
Eric Johnson

Thanks for posting this procedure.  Just replaced my air filter with a stage 2 DNA kit. Followed your procedure and was a big help. Saved me a lot of grief.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
wobblywheels

I've just done this on my 2021 MT07 to fit a tracker below the tanks. It was very similar to the helpful guide provided in this thread. There is an additional plastic strip in the centre which needs two screws removing at the bottom, clips popping out a little higher, then pull it back to release two pairs of clips, the higher ones clip into the top plastic section that covers the fuel filler cap.