The MT-07 Forum

xsr700 scrambler suspension advice

Major_Tom

Hi guys! I am looking for a bit of advice. I am building my 2018 xsr700 into a bit of a scrambler and have hit a snag.

I have got a 19"x2.5" front rim(not on the bike yet) and +20mm cartridge fork internals(already on the bike) that gives me about +55mm at the front. I am looking at the TFX 141 which they can cut to length, but the longest they will go is +40mm at the rear, and I'd really like both sides to match up. I'd like as much of the rear lift as possible to be at the shock as that translates to travel, but it looks like i'm going to have to change linkages as well.

I have seen one dogbone option that gives me +25mm (so +30mm from shock), and one suspension pivot arm that gives me +20mm (so +35mm from shock).

If anyone has any input as to the advantages or disadvantages of either option, or if they know of other options please let me know!

Dog bone: 

Suspension Pivot arm: https://www.bikefarmmv.com/epages/79512538.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/79512538/Products/"HHLRYA MT 07 14-"

stickshift

Not sure how you’ve calculated the front height increase: the 19” rim increases ride height 1” over the stock 17” wheel. With your cartridges, that makes your front ride height +45 mm over stock. The height of the tyre has not been factored into this; I’ve presumed front & rear tyre sidewall heights will be similar, but you need to check this.

The shock with rod length to increase ride height by 40 mm would be the go, I doubt you will notice the 5 mm difference front and rear. You could always just drop forks through the yokes by 5 mm, but check tyre sidewall heights first!

7 hours ago, stickshift said:

Not sure how you’ve calculated the front height increase: the 19” rim increases ride height 1” over the stock 17” wheel. With your cartridges, that makes your front ride height +45 mm over stock. The height of the tyre has not been factored into this; I’ve presumed front & rear tyre sidewall heights will be similar, but you need to check this.

The shock with rod length to increase ride height by 40 mm would be the go, I doubt you will notice the 5 mm difference front and rear. You could always just drop forks through the yokes by 5 mm, but check tyre sidewall heights first!

Front wheel sidewall is dissimilar and is theoretically +33mm radius total over stock, +20 = +53mm

Update: talked to my local guy and he says do the +40 and if that's not enough he can cut a dogbone to length, so that's our gameplan. Still open to advice.

Edited by Major_Tom