The MT-07 Forum

How far down the Rabbit Hole will I go?

pgeldz

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, blackout said:

Could you run a transponder under the seat or tail?

I imagine your brake lines are too long now, like mine.  Mine are still the stock lines, but the bars are probably 7"+ lower now.  lol

Actually, they've been changed to something else when the motor was built.  Wasn't my doing, and their not even the same brand I use, so I will definitely be changing them to Spiegler lines :)

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, blackout said:

Could you run a transponder under the seat or tail?

I imagine your brake lines are too long now, like mine.  Mine are still the stock lines, but the bars are probably 7"+ lower now.  lol

Oops, totally missed your transponder question.  Yeah, not sure.  I'd think you'd want it as close to the front as possible, because if you are side by side coming across the line, and my opponents transponder is at the front of his bike, and mine is at the rear, I loose!

LoL

• Premium Member

Ok, so, after staring at the bike for 2 hours last night figuring out how to get this bellypan done, I just mounted the custom belly pan my buddy made (it fit perfect, and his mount system is AWESOME).

Then, I hacked up the Paolo Tex belly pan to make some templates, and quickly realized the Paolo Tex front would never work, because the lip is aft of the oil drain plug (so it wouldn't work for oil containment, which is the whole point of a belly pan).

I ended up fabbing a hybrid solution, which takes the best of both belly pans, combined with my particular tweaks, and came up with something that I'm really happy with.  Now I have to make a REAL template so I can do it more simply, so my 'glass guy has something to work from.

Since it's installed with the temporary fixes in place, I took a side pic so I can really see how the whole thing looks and...

I'll be honest, I don't like the way the fairing doesn't match the lines of the radiator.  Way too much space, but when I extended it in Photoshop, the bike looked too 'front heavy' (it's all about balance).  Found a solution to that as well, and I'll be reworking that tonight.

Also did some stuff with the tail in Photoshop, and literally had a 'lightbulb' moment.  Went to work on those details in Photoshop, which, although very minor, brings all the lines into harmony.

Once the rendering was done, I got to work on my livery.  Just like the Movistar livery I did originally when the bike was naked, I really tried to get the balance right.  Took me a little while, but the bike looks extremely racy, and the combination of the reworked body lines and livery give it that 'nose down, tail up' aggressive look.

I'm happy I was able to keep the angular lines of the FZ-07, since the available stuff on the market now make it look too swoopy in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, the other stuff is functional, but this was just as much a design exercise for me as it was to just build something different.

And that's what it really was about for me...to see if I can follow up on my previous street builds, the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Project and the Ducati Monster S4RS Cafe Replica Koncept, and pull off a hat trick with a totally custom build I can race with.

Time will tell, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

:)

- Paul

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Sounds great, can't wait to see the pics when the parts are done 😁

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So, quick update...

Body panels are almost finished.  Made a change to the seat area.  Was going to extend the sides down to give me more surface area for livery, but in practice not such a great idea.  It would bolt to the sides of the frame where the passenger pegs are, and one more bolt on the vertical part of the frame.  Trouble is, that means taking the tail off would require removing 10 fasteners - not a great idea for many reasons especially since the passenger peg bolts are holding my exhaust hangar on the one side, and my remote reservoir for the rear shock on the other.

My fix is to just make a separate panel on each side that bolts to that area, and tucks under the tail unit.  Yes, there will be a seam there, but it'll be hidden by the livery. 

Speaking of the livery, I finally nailed down the "Prototype Camo Pattern".  Think "dazzle camo" from WW1.  It was used on ships to make it difficult to estimate a target's range, speed, and heading.  Red Bull used something similar on there F1 test car years back.  I came up with a different take on it, and my buddy printed some on vinyl wrap material in different aspect ratios to see which one I liked best.  You'd be surprised how different things can look at different scales.  I liked 100% best.  Without giving to much away, here's a sneak peek :)

1306795939_IMAG7924cropped.jpg.f22da54414015759422bfd57c8cf9ecf.jpg

In other news, the suspension is off to K-Tech, and I finally got my wheel/tire combo completed - Dymag UP7X Forged Aluminum Wheels, with EBC VEE rotors secured with Proti Forged Ti Bolts and Talon Aluminum sprocket secured with Proti Forged Ti Nuts.

wheels.jpg.0aa22b81185e334ce44d39335e84ad7f.jpg

New Velocity Stacks arrived by CarbonSmith (different length to test a theory), and another set of custom MWR RACE filters came so I can have another whole assembly to hot swap back and forth on the Dyno for definitive results.

Next week is when the fun happens, when I try and put this puzzle together to get it ready for final assembly, then the body goes to Texas to get wrapped :)

Wish me luck!

- Paul

• Like 5

• Premium Member

Moving along nicely Paul. Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

Speaking of body panels, I thought I'd show you my thought process of how I reworked the belly pan...

I took a belly pan that was originally made by my buddy that was known to fit perfect (his mounting system is genius!) and cut the front and back off of it so I can make templates to shape how I envisioned, with provisions for enough surface area for legal-sized numbers per the rules. Transferred those templates to that weird sheetmetal, and bonded it to the inside, so there would be surface area to glass over. It'll be the mold to make the actual belly pan from...

1318183104_bellypan.thumb.jpg.ac57886caecb16509d6649627b41f229.jpg

78573858_2850941638263060_5312897329953505280_o.thumb.jpg.47c4846e560eb7b7b6d2357a58629ae3.jpg

You can see just how much material was added to get the shape I want :)

• Like 2

You and a few others here amaze me as to what you can do and come up with. Really fun  to follow and learn a little. Cudos to you

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

You and a few others here amaze me as to what you can do and come up with. Really fun  to follow and learn a little. Cudos to you

Thanks!  But honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing, which is why my buddy provided the donor for me to rework. I just used the method I thought best from my sheet metal days in the Air Force when I was fabricator. My local glass guy was like, "that's an interesting way to approach this...makes it easy for me to work with." Phew! Thank goodness!  LoL!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

The new office is coming together...

Looking good and real clean Paul! Enjoying following your journey. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

Looking good and real clean Paul! Enjoying following your journey. 

Thanks!

• Premium Member

No big updates this Monday unfortunately.  Kinda having a case of the "Mondays" actually.

This bellypan is kicking our @$$.  I hope it will be rectified soon.

In the meantime, K-Tech delivered my forks and rear shock all reworked and set up, so all I have to do now is install them!

And I finally finished the new livery - BUT, I need this belly pan ON THE BIKE so I can transfer the lines of the rendering to it, so my wrap guy knows where everything is supposed to be.  Keep your fingers crossed for me...

- Paul

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

No big updates this Monday unfortunately.  Kinda having a case of the "Mondays" actually.

This bellypan is kicking our @$$.  I hope it will be rectified soon.

In the meantime, K-Tech delivered my forks and rear shock all reworked and set up, so all I have to do now is install them!

And I finally finished the new livery - BUT, I need this belly pan ON THE BIKE so I can transfer the lines of the rendering to it, so my wrap guy knows where everything is supposed to be.  Keep you fingers crossed for me...

- Paul

It will all come together and work out. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

More Monday progress!!!

Bellypan.thumb.jpg.d76a80da1bdda29dc3211e8e0013a819.jpg

Looking good Paul! It’s coming along good. Can’t wait to see the finished product 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

Looking good Paul! It’s coming along good. Can’t wait to see the finished product 

Me either!  Haha

• Premium Member

Happy New Year everyone!

Got some progress pics...belly pan is in the finishing stages...

81143957_2915888488435041_6949951087218524160_o.thumb.jpg.a94ab8fb26f8008e48cca38586a8e4c3.jpg

81041895_2915888545101702_500908283247198208_o.thumb.jpg.e02f8752ebe0ab1d523780d8b2906c9c.jpg

One's its all finished I'll get it mounted up and see if my design will work as intended (fingers crossed).

In addition, I finally made a breakthrough on the livery, and it's down to just three versions.

Need the bellypan all trimmed and fitted up though to see which one will work best...

Stay tuned...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Belly pan for the #fz07racingprototype is finally completed. Had to change the mold TWICE to get the tailored fit I wanted, but its finally done...and repeatable so I can get replacement parts/spares if need be!

Graphics have all been laid out, and I'm sending one set of bodywork off to my graphics guy to do the livery.

Keep your fingers crossed.  If it comes out half as good as the rendering, I'll be a be a very happy camper indeed!

- Paul

83279093_571153563465659_8942282232811225088_n.thumb.jpg.af583de0b085066e5bdafe1d9036b886.jpg

• Like 5

• Premium Member

Finally some more progress!

Switched out the Samco rad hoses for the new ones in my race team colors, and got the front end back together with the new K-Tech set up installed.

Still need to measure for brake lines, install the rear shock, tidy up all the wiring, and adjust the throttle and clutch cables, in addition to some other small detail work.

There IS light at the end of the tunnel!

82950516_1559033127585550_6673029999907307520_o.thumb.jpg.6a642ae6253c561b6b663025709a4b91.jpg

82973108_2583047048640380_5145523090083545088_n.jpg.06568d89847bd588ce195959fd557e74.jpg

- Paul

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 6/26/2019 at 12:57 PM, mossrider said:

The problem is for MotoAmerica you must vent the crankcase breather into the airbox per rules. This necessitates an 'airbox' and a functional crankcase breather mounted into it.

IMG_20190626_144412.thumb.jpg.f644d07d8d1385c77709f9248fc64db1.jpg 

I think in order to be EPA compliant one might need to somehow vent any 'emissions' back into the filters and/or airbox to be reburned.

@mossrider - I don't see this in the rules anymore!!!  Have a look!

https://americanmotorcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020-MotoAmerica-Regulations-v1.3.20-Final.pdf

Just now, pgeldz said:

Big as life still

IMG_20200120_135053.thumb.jpg.674b2ffc1e5b183b3d97f7c4ea60bcac.jpg

Rules do appear to allow Yamaha the 2mm overbore Suzuki had last year, altho I don't know why a person would mess with it if they're on any kind of budget, lol.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Big as life still

IMG_20200120_135053.thumb.jpg.674b2ffc1e5b183b3d97f7c4ea60bcac.jpg

Rules do appear to allow Yamaha the 2mm overbore Suzuki had last year, altho I don't know why a person would mess with it if they're on any kind of budget, lol.

Ugg, I read that as 2.8.8.1.6 not 2.8.8.16 (sixteen)

:(

If I knew the overbore was allowed I would have done pistons in my motor build.  But oh well, I'm already going broke with this project, haha.

- Paul

• Premium Member

So, as I anxiously wait for my bodywork to come back from my graphics guy, he sends me this sneek peek last night...

...and I can hardly contain my excitement!!!

IMG_20200120_212603_062.jpg

• Like 6