The MT-07 Forum

How far down the Rabbit Hole will I go?

pgeldz

• Premium Member

No, my solution isn't legal...but still wanted a catch can.  I don't like the idea of oil spilling into the filters like the other open box on the market, so I came up with a way where that'll never be an issue:)

I will definitely have to something different for MA though when it comes to that point.  THAT solution is TBD, lol.

Awesome thread!

The pictures and talk of the racing gets my heart pumping. Haven't been on a track in decades.

Those Ti rotor bolts . . . WTF? I don't wanna know what that cost.

Keep it coming.

• Premium Member
On 9/21/2019 at 6:38 AM, sansnombre said:

Awesome thread!

The pictures and talk of the racing gets my heart pumping. Haven't been on a track in decades.

Those Ti rotor bolts . . . WTF? I don't wanna know what that cost.

Keep it coming.

Yeah, they are a work of art :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So,

Since I missed the first round of my series due to factors way outside my control, it's giving me some time to complete the specification of the bike I targeted during the summer.

I'm of the belief that most of the exhaust systems available for our bike are street systems not race systems, because traditionally the FZ-07 hasn't been considered a racebike.

Some are better the others, and the Akra Ti and Yoshimura stand out as being top performers.  They are both of a low, shorty design, and some people in the know think a longer pipe would be better suited for racing duty.

Competition Werkes and I are going to test that theory.  They've had great success with their new full Ti race system for HSBK/Celtic Racing's Yamaha R6 in MotoAmerica, where Pj Jacobson rode to 2nd overall in their first season. 

They are building a similar full exhaust for me...stay tuned.

IMAG7628.jpg

IMAG7636.jpg

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Can’t wait to see the finished product and results. Good luck 👍🏻

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

Can’t wait to see the finished product and results. Good luck 👍🏻

Ed

Thanks!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, pgeldz said:

So,

Since I missed the first round of my series due to factors way outside my control, it's giving me some time to complete the specification of the bike I targeted during the summer.

I'm of the belief that most of the exhaust systems available for our bike are street systems not race systems, because traditionally the FZ-07 hasn't been considered a racebike.

Some are better the others, and the Akra Ti and Yoshimura stand out as being top performers.  They are both of a low, shorty design, and some people in the know think a longer pipe would be better suited for racing duty.

Competition Werkes and I are going to test that theory.  They've had great success with their new full Ti race system for HSBK/Celtic Racing's Yamaha R6 in MotoAmerica, where Pj Jacobson rode to 2nd overall in their first season. 

They are building a similar full exhaust for me...stay tuned.

IMAG7628.jpg

IMAG7636.jpg

Cool, are they going to play with diameter as well?   I went will 1.75" on my long pipe system, but 2" might be better.   While they surely know their stuff, make sure they leave room for your boot heals when you are riding on your balls of your feet.  I see clearance issues all the time on race bikes.  A local SV650 had his pipe wrapped with insulation to keep his boot from melting.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, blackout said:

Cool, are they going to play with diameter as well?   I went will 1.75" on my long pipe system, but 2" might be better.   While they surely know their stuff, make sure they leave room for your boot heals when you are riding on your balls of your feet.  I see clearance issues all the time on race bikes.  A local SV650 had his pipe wrapped with insulation to keep his boot from melting.

Yes, they are going to play with different pipe diameters and yes, we discussed the boot situation just as you pointed out :)

Hard to predict final power output though.  We are using my current pipe as the benchmark.  Dyno runs before and after will show differences, but we aren't doing any tuning.  We'll strive to meet or exceed my current system first, and see where we are.  Then, I'll have the tune optimized for it, and see where it ends up.

I'm hoping it'll go just like my DNA vs MWR air filter test (that's well documented on this forum).  The MWR filter made more power than the DNA filter with the DNA tune, but when we actually tuned for the MWR filter it made almost double the power.

We'll see how it goes...if anything it'll be significantly lighter than what I have now :)

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

Maybe if you get this sorted, @mossrider will have access to a system that won't explode on him

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

4 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Maybe if you get this sorted, @mossrider will have access to a system that won't explode on him

Ideally;

A little research reveals that the can should be weighed when installed and periodically afterward then re-packed when it loses 300 grams of packing weight. 

In my world; 

I run it hard till she blows up then source another. 

Edited by mossrider

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So while I'm waiting for the new exhaust, I decided to do this for when the bike comes back for me to finish it...

IMAG7731.jpg

Wanted a nicer environment to wrench in :)

• Like 5

• Premium Member
Just now, bugsinteeth said:

veddy nice...I want....

We're a Racedeck dealer at work, so let me know and I can hook you up...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

So while I'm waiting for the new exhaust, I decided to do this for when the bike comes back for me to finish it...

IMAG7731.jpg

So is this one portion of your garage? Looks nice and tidy! I use a third of my garage to work on the toys and live in the great white north. Wondering how this would work?

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

So is this one portion of your garage? Looks nice and tidy! I use a third of my garage to work on the toys and live in the great white north. Wondering how this would work?

Yes, it's a 3 car garage, and the first two 'stalls' have a double door, the third one (on the right) has a single door and is inset like 2 feet.

I turned the third one into my wrenching station.

Here's the rendering I did before I ordered so I knew what it'd look like.

My shelving sits on the Black border on the top and right side, and my Kendon Stand up trailer will sit on the bottom Black border, so the Yellow tiles on the outside define my workspace :)

IMAG7727.jpg

Wow, I really like the look and layout you have there. This may be the next “mod” 😂 I do. We were thinking about putting epoxy down on the whole slab but I like this better and the fact that is raised a little should help keep the melted salty snow off the surface. I am interested in cost and if you wouldn’t mind you can dm me or post up. Thanks!

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

Wow, I really like the look and layout you have there. This may be the next “mod” 😂 I do. We were thinking about putting epoxy down on the whole slab but I like this better and the fact that is raised a little should help keep the melted salty snow off the surface. I am interested in cost and if you wouldn’t mind you can dm me or post up. Thanks!

You have a PM :)

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, pgeldz said:

IMAG7731.jpg

Looks awesome. I’ve always been concerned how it handles bike stands. When you flip a bike stand down how does it hold up to the pushing/rolling force as the rear stand pivots down?  Can I still roll a bike forward on a pit bull rear while on the race deck?  Sliding side to side while in a stand I imagine is a no go. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Hippie said:

Looks awesome. I’ve always been concerned how it handles bike stands. When you flip a bike stand down how does it hold up to the pushing/rolling force as the rear stand pivots down?  Can I still roll a bike forward on a pit bull rear while on the race deck?  Sliding side to side while in a stand I imagine is a no go. 

I think you can, but I'll let you know when the bike is back and on the stands :)

11 hours ago, Hippie said:

Can I still roll a bike forward on a pit bull rear while on the race deck?  Sliding side to side while in a stand I imagine is a no go. 

Several of my race buddies use this stuff and it is very durable and hard enough to slide things around on. Stands are no problem. If you dropped a Duramax block on it it might dent but it would survive. It's very durable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

So while the bike is still at Comp Werkes due to factors outside anyone's control (the material didn't arrive when we thought it would)...

I had some more time, so I did a thing :)

K-tech Suspension:

- 20IDS cartridges

- Razor RR rear shock

- Guide Bushings

- Slide Bushings

- Oil Seals

- Dust Seals

- Travel Indicator

- Fork Oil

- Extra front and rear springs of different stiffness (for tuning in different conditions/environments) 

IMAG7798.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Nice!! 

I have the Razor RR also, I love it. 

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Global Moderator

What's the difference between the r and rr again?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

What's the difference between the r and rr again?

They are similar, but the RR is more track focused with track orientated settings.  I'll find out just exactly what the difference is and report back...