The MT-07 Forum

Yosh r77 install problems... Please help!!!

tsplitt23

Hey everyone-

Just received my new carbon fiber yosh r77 full exhaust system for my 2016 fz07.  Soooo stoked.  I went back and forth in my mind between different full systems for months.  Finally decided on the yoshi.   I bought the performance package from 2WDW that comes with an ecu flash and the full yosh exhaust for $915.  The exhaust comes straight from the manufacturer and 2WDW does the flash.  Awesome deal.  So today as I’m installing the exhaust I discover a problem as i am trying to connect the headers to the exhaust manifold.  They will not fit together.   The yosh headers are a 1/4” smaller in width when u measure the two header pipes end to end.  They measure  4 13/16” while the stock exhaust (which comes on and off perfectly) measures 5 1/16”. That’s a 1/4” difference my friends.  I even held the two sets of pipes together header to header and it was a clear 1/4” difference.  Has anybody else dealt with this problem when installing this yosh exhaust?  Is there something I’m missing here?  I build machines for a living and to me a 1/4” is a ton to be off on something.  I really feel like yoshimura should sell a product that’s fits better than this.  Any help or suggestions would so greatly be appreciated!! Thanks a million everyone 

Edited by tsplitt23
Forgot a couple sentences

• Global Moderator

Less of people have this problem with lots of different exhausts.  It just takes some muscle to get them to fit.  Good luck. 

• Premium Member

I've successfully used a reversible bar clamp to either spread or squeeze together the header tips to hold them the correct distance apart/together to make lining them up easer until you can get the nuts started on the manifold.

1/4in isn't that much  from my experience. Good luck completing the install. 👍

bora-pistolgripclamp-lg.thumb.jpg.84ab45b77f5963e7ec613f3de51031f7.jpg

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Hey mjh937 and DewMan-

Thanks a lot for the tips and getting back to me so quickly.   If I stretch these the 1/4” to make them fit will that weaken the header?  Or do you think it will put unnecessary stress on the manifold?  I’m a bit hesitant to force these to fit but I know I’m not the first to have this problem.   When I try pulling the two header pipes apart with just my own strength I can only manage to open them up between an 1/8” and 3/16” for a brief moment.  Another concern I have is the crossover that’s welded 10” down from start of the two pipes.  That doesn’t allow much room for the pipes to flex.  Not trying to be a sally about this whole thing; I just want to make the right decision.  Thanks a lot everyone 702CFFA5-034D-4F4C-9880-74279D2F0F9B.thumb.jpeg.93ca838915a3d2819f96f4904fa8c590.jpeg

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, tsplitt23 said:

Hey mjh937 and DewMan-

Thanks a lot for the tips and getting back to me so quickly.   If I stretch these the 1/4” to make them fit will that weaken the header?  Or do you think it will put unnecessary stress on the manifold?  I’m a bit hesitant to force these to fit but I know I’m not the first to have this problem.   When I try pulling the two header pipes apart with just my own strength I can only manage to open them up between an 1/8” and 3/16” for a brief moment.  Another concern I have is the crossover that’s welded 10” down from start of the two pipes.  That doesn’t allow much room for the pipes to flex.  Not trying to be a sally about this whole thing; I just want to make the right decision.  Thanks a lot everyone 

It should be fine with the flex of only 1/4". The pipes aren't fragile.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Don't use brute force, use leverage. I used a wood block and an axe handle to pry them apart. It takes a much more controllable amount of force and won't go too far if they give like iron manning them could. Not an uncommon problem among pipe manufacturers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mossrider said:

Don't use brute force, use leverage. I used a wood block and an axe handle to pry them apart. It takes a much more controllable amount of force and won't go too far if they give like iron manning them could. Not an uncommon problem among pipe manufacturers.

That is a great idea with the wood block.  My concern with this whole deal is damaging the pipes while trying to spread them to fit but it sounds like plenty of people have encountered a similar situation with aftermarket exhaust systems and have been able to get them on damage free.  I’m going to try installing them again tonight.  More pictures to follow...

Thanks much to everyone

-Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tsplitt23 said:

That is a great idea with the wood block.  My concern with this whole deal is damaging the pipes while trying to spread them to fit but it sounds like plenty of people have encountered a similar situation with aftermarket exhaust systems and have been able to get them on damage free.  I’m going to try installing them again tonight.  More pictures to follow...

Thanks much to everyone

-Tom

Edit: if you're going to man handle it without tools > When I put mine on I pulled them apart a little and then I got one side started with the bolts but I didn't tighten them down. Then I put a long handled screw driver through one hole and used it as leverage to line up the other hole. When the other was lined up I quickly put a bolt in and got the threading started. I then removed the screw driver and put the other bolt in place since everything was lined up and held in place at that time. This way you aren't over spreading and the leverage with the screw driver makes it much easier. I hope that helps, GL!

Let us know how it goes.

Beemer

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

Edit: if you're going to man handle it without tools > When I put mine on I pulled them apart a little and then I got one side started with the bolts but I didn't tighten them down. Then I put a long handled screw driver through one hole and used it as leverage to line up the other hole. When the other was lined up I quickly put a bolt in and got the threading started. I then removed the screw driver and put the other bolt in place since everything was lined up and held in place at that time. This way you aren't over spreading and the leverage with the screw driver makes it much easier. I hope that helps, GL!

Let us know how it goes.

That’s a good call with the screwdriver.  Leverage over brute force.  I like it.  Im so glad I found this forum.  I can’t tell you all how many times I have found answers to my problems just by scrolling through the different topics.  Thank u all and I’ll def keep y’all updated on the install. 

T

• Like 1

Hold on - maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. 

From what I can gather - you all are willing to drop $1k+ on an exhaust that doesn't fit? And it's acceptable to just... bend the openings wider apart?

Surely I'm missing something here. Either that or I'm more of a pleb than I thought, and that kind of money is only pocket change to you all. 

Either way, my $430 Black Widow exhaust fit perfectly. If it hadn't, I'd have returned it immediately. 

Edited by Cinimod

• Premium Member

manufacturers tolerances come into play, lot batches( when made/who made em/QC) all effect fitment... my Graves exhaust on my FJ-09 was a few mm tight in total width of the headers( maybe the engine exhaust ports were slightly off but till within tolerance and the exhaust headers were perfectly in spec???))

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 2 weeks later...

So I did get the exhaust on a couple weeks ago but just took me a minute for this update.  I used an air shim to stretch the pipes the 1/4 inch I needed and then put a small wood block in between the pipes to keep them at the exact necessary dimension.  This is the same tool that a locksmith uses to gently pry open your car door when you lock your keys in.  After talking to a tech at my local Yamaha dealer, I learned that it is extremely common for aftermarket exhaust pipes to need a little push or pull in either direction to make them fit properly.   So to everyone that told me this was normal, don't worry about it , just give her a little stretch,  you all were right.   And after stretching the pipes with my air shim I learned that they certainly are not fragile.  I could have move them another 1/4 inch if I needed to.  So after finally getting the exhaust on, the true test came when I fired up the bike for the first time and heard that yosh roar to life.  Amazing freakin sound!   So pair that exhaust with the ECU flash from 2WDW (Thanks Nate!), and my bike has been transformed.  It is like my FZ07 is on steroids!  Now that I have my new exhaust on and I know that all my worry was for nothing, I am extremely happy with this purchase.  For $915 you get infinite ecu flashes for your bike ($315 by itself), and then you get the stainless steel / carbon fiber / carbon fiber R77 Yoshimura exhaust which currently sells for $710 on Amazon.  So you are saving $110 by choosing this package from 2WDW.  I went back and forth for months trying to decide on an exhaust and I sure am glad I picked this one!! Thanks to all for your input and your help!!  

T

IMG_0200.jpg.ca68d8e022d72d8c666d66fc2ff9d391.jpgIMG_0202.jpg.7f52cd51658e95e5441de7b0586afa1b.jpgIMG_0223.jpg.04827c779032cc93efbbe7f3b04ec55d.jpg

• Like 2