The MT-07 Forum

Experiences on both an FZ/MT-07 and XSR-700?

I may have the opportunity to trade in my 2015 MT-07 for a 2018 XSR-700 for what I think is a pretty reasonable price. The XSR is the bike I originally wanted, however I was able to save a lot by picking up an older MT-07. Besides the year difference they have similar mileage, similar condition etc.

What I'm wondering is if anybody here has experience riding both and can comment on the differences in feel? I realise this may not be a great audience for this sort of question since everybody has likely chosen an FZ/MT over the XSR, but I'd be particularly interested if anybody rode the XSR for a significant amount of time and found any reasons why they preferred the MT.

The MT is my first bike and I have no real complaints. If I had to nitpick I would say that after a while at highway speeds I don't feel totally relaxed - like I feel the need to shift around a little bit to stay comfortable. Definitely not something I would feel the need to replace the bike over though.

As far as I'm aware the spec differences mostly boil down to a slightly raised seat, wider handlebars and less spongy suspension. The main appeal of the XSR to me is the styling, though at 6'2 there is some appeal in a slightly taller bike as well. I definitely don't need to change - but since the chance is there I'm giving it some thought.

Thanks in advance.

I went from owning an XSR900 to an MT-07, so sort of relevant to what you're asking. I too lusted after the XSR700 but when it came to buying one, XSR900's were pretty much the same price (second hand market) so I couldn't say no.

As you've said, the XSR's are both taller and wider than their MT counterparts, so it probably boils down to what kind of riding you do mostly. Being 6'2 you'd know that the MT-07 is a small bike, really too small for you, but perfect for my 5'8 size. There's no doubt you'd be more comfortable on an XSR. But that's probably where the benfits end. The seat on my MT-07 is quiet a bit comfier than my previous XSR900 (which like the XSR700, has a seat built more for styling purposes) so you might find you like the seat a bit less on the XSR700.

I wouldn't say you'd be upgrading, moreso sidegrading. The XSR700 is one damn good looking bike though. Have you considered the XSR900? It would be far more comfortable for a tall guy. It was too big for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. I'm not on my full license for another 18 months so am restricted to 655cc bikes until then. I have a test ride planned so will see if that sheds some light. Good to know about the seat though as I might not pick that up on a short ride. 

The boring option may be to stay on the MT for another 18 months then look at shifting to an XSR 900.

The XSR700 wasn't available whenI bought my FZ07. A year later they finally came to the States. I love the look of the XSR and was figuring on trading my bike in on one. I never rode the XSR, but I have not heard that there is anything different about the suspension vs the FZ. Sitting on the XSR really didn't feel all that different than my FZ. I'm 6'2" / 32" inseam. I would have still needed taller bars like I put on my FZ. I didn't feel the seat on the XSR gave any more room between my bum and the footpegs. For whatever reason, despite what the hard measurements say, I was surprised to find the XSR felt small under me. 

Totally personal opinion, but the XSR looked very unfinished to me in person. Enough so that it turned me off to it's looks. And the tail section is so small that riding in the rain and luggage options concerned me. But if those things wouldn't affect your personal use for the bike, they definitely are sharp looking bikes. 

At the end of the day, I'm very pleased with my FZ as far as comfort. Taller bars and a taller seat made all the difference. I ended up with a Corbin seat and it's very comfy, but just adding some foam to the stock seat got me 90% of what the Corbin gives as far as comfort. I thought the XSR was gonna feel like a bigger FZ but, after sitting on it , that surprisingly was not the case. 

But if you want the look, I say go for it. IMO they are pretty much identical apart from styling. 

Edited by shinyribs

I Have a VFR800 (2000), and an XSR700.  My XSR is my run-around town bike and track day bike. Reminds me of my naked SV650 trackday bike...except for bar position. I've put a Nitron twin clicker and Matris inserts to get the suspension right. 

The stock footpegs are too low...put new rearsets on. Handlebars too sit up and beg for me, so swapping FZ-07 bar risers and Woodcraft bar adapter  has it closer to my VFR with bars in the up position.  Now the bike feels closer to my SV.

The FZ-07 seemed low, too cramped for my 6'1" 245 frame.  XSR has a higher riding position...when I flip/drop the bar holders I get closer to the feel of my SV650 (it was a dream on the track).  In normal upright it's a joy on the street. Even with the rearsets I'm not cramped.

I like the looks better...I painted the rims with auto grade paint and 2K clearcoat in the same color as my Honda Ridgeling...I like the silver better.

If you like looks...the XSR is better than the MT07...If I were going JUST for looks I woulda bought a Triumph Street Twin or Thruxton...I like to 410lb curb weight...I didn't want a 500lb twin...

Matt

imagejpeg_0.jpg

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, Zupatun said:

I Have a VFR800 (2000), and an XSR700.  My XSR is my run-around town bike and track day bike. Reminds me of my naked SV650 trackday bike...except for bar position. I've put a Nitron twin clicker and Matris inserts to get the suspension right. 

The stock footpegs are too low...put new rearsets on. Handlebars too sit up and beg for me, so swapping FZ-07 bar risers and Woodcraft bar adapter  has it closer to my VFR with bars in the up position.  Now the bike feels closer to my SV.

The FZ-07 seemed low, too cramped for my 6'1" 245 frame.  XSR has a higher riding position...when I flip/drop the bar holders I get closer to the feel of my SV650 (it was a dream on the track).  In normal upright it's a joy on the street. Even with the rearsets I'm not cramped.

I like the looks better...I painted the rims with auto grade paint and 2K clearcoat in the same color as my Honda Ridgeling...I like the silver better.

If you like looks...the XSR is better than the MT07...If I were going JUST for looks I woulda bought a Triumph Street Twin or Thruxton...I like to 410lb curb weight...I didn't want a 500lb twin...

Matt

imagejpeg_0.jpg

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

I need silver wheels for my FZ.  I didn't know they came in that color for the XSR's

Edit: Fail reread your post to see you've painted them.  Any tips?

Edited by Zeus
Error

FZ07R WaNaB
On 5/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, Zupatun said:

If you like looks...the XSR is better than the MT07...

Seriously.... XSR better looking - No freaking way!

If it were a beauty pageant, the FZ/MT would be the winner, and the XSR would get the congeniality award due to its personality.

Mini poll time - Thoughts anyone?

2017_FZ-07_ABS_pale_blue_1_l.png

2016-Yamaha-XSR700-Studio-01.jpg

TheAbhartach
1 hour ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Mini poll time - Thoughts anyone?

Stock v. stock, the XSR is better looking for sure.

Edited by TheAbhartach
Grammar

Tops has to be FZ/MT-07. There is too much uncovered under the tank and seat on the XSR.

• Like 2

Just do it! 

XSR better looking for sure. I would have bought one but the MT07 over here is cheaper, and you can get them in full power trim. All XSR700's in Australia are restricted to 660cc 52hp.

Thanks for the input guys. Personally I really like the look of the XSR. I'm a fan of the retro Japanese look. However I know that there are plenty of people out there who like retro bikes but can't stand the look of the XSR. I think a common complaint is that the engine area looks messy and like it wasn't really thought out, but it's not something that really bothers me. I will concede that the indicator lights which I think look cheap and flimsy on the MT/FZ look even more out of place on the XSR.

Anyway, after giving it some thought I am just going to stick it out on my restricted-output MT-07 until I get my full license (~12 months away). It'll give me plenty of time to consider what the next step is, but rather than a restricted XSR-700 it's more likely to be an XSR-900. That said, a workmate has a BMW Nine T which looks very appealing...

FZ07R WaNaB
36 minutes ago, mule said:

I know that there are plenty of people out there who like retro bikes but can't stand the look of the XSR. I think a common complaint is that the engine area looks messy and like it wasn't really thought out,

Yep, I would be one of those people. You could add in that lame looking fork brace too!

Wintersdark

I'm definitely of the opinion that the XSR is sexier (though the MT07 is no slouch!).  I'd have bought an XSR myself too but couldn't justify the $1000 premium (Canadian Pesos) for what was essentially the same bike.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, Zeus said:

I need silver wheels for my FZ.  I didn't know they came in that color for the XSR's

Edit: Fail reread your post to see you've painted them.  Any tips?

I had an online shop try to color match my Honda Ridgeline, close but still not light enough. Next time I'll go to my local auto paint shop, have them mix up a couple rattle cans exactly how I want it. Cover it with a 2K (two part hardening) rattle can clearcoat -- auto paint hard!

I make a little booth by hanging painter's drop cloth plastic and put on overalls and a respirator in a well exhausted area (under my back deck) -- if you dont do something you'll have dust, hair and bugs in your clearcoat and color.

I want to change the headlight...but I'd rather spend the money on trackdays this summer...choices...

Matt in Haymarket Virginia.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, Zupatun said:

I had an online shop try to color match my Honda Ridgeline, close but still not light enough. Next time I'll go to my local auto paint shop, have them mix up a couple rattle cans exactly how I want it. Cover it with a 2K (two part hardening) rattle can clearcoat -- auto paint hard!

I make a little booth by hanging painter's drop cloth plastic and put on overalls and a respirator in a well exhausted area (under my back deck) -- if you dont do something you'll have dust, hair and bugs in your clearcoat and color.

I want to change the headlight...but I'd rather spend the money on trackdays this summer...choices...

Matt in Haymarket Virginia.

Awesome.  The bike looks great.  Did you swap out the wheel bearings or just cover them?

On 6/17/2019 at 6:08 PM, Zeus said:

Awesome.  The bike looks great.  Did you swap out the wheel bearings or just cover them?

I just covered them with Painter's tape.  Same with the slots where the brakes fit...that way there was no issue with with with fit between the rotor and wheel and caliper. 

17 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

I keep coming back to this topic and all I see is discussions about painting wheels...

Don't be too upset.  Maybe contribute to your preferred topic next time