The MT-07 Forum

Throttle harder to pull after lubing?

phanomenal07

phanomenal07

Anyone experience there throttle harder than turn after lubing the cable? I lubed it because I felt like it recently got harder to turn but not by much and I couldn't tell if it was just in my head. But after lubing I can definitely tell it's harder to turn now and my hand definitely was hurting after riding to and from work. I used yamalube lubezall.

Just now, phanomenal07 said:

Anyone experience there throttle harder than turn after lubing the cable? I lubed it because I felt like it recently got harder to turn but not by much and I couldn't tell if it was just in my head. But after lubing I can definitely tell it's harder to turn now and my hand definitely was hurting after riding to and from work. I used yamalube lubezall.

Recheck your work. If you had the throttle, tube, grip, cables apart it's very easy to get something just a bit off during reassembly. You can end up with a bind or rub somewhere. Check that the cables are in their respective tracks on the tube collar. Make sure the tube assembly nub is aligned with the hole in the handlebar if you're still using it. Make sure the inside of the grip isn't to far onto the bar that it's rubbing on the end of the bar. Also the inside face of the grip can rub the switch gear assembly if pushed on too far (some have Teflon discs in there to reduce friction) And lastly be careful with the amount of lube used in the cable sleeve. Less is more here. Otherwise you can make mud and create a friction sink.

Good luck!

• Like 3

phanomenal07

Thanks for responding. I will take it apart again when I get a chance. When I looked at it it look like there's some lube on the throttle grip. It looks like glue and the disc your talking about is sticking to the grip a little. I don't think a lil lube on the inside face of the grip can cause that much friction. So I'll take it apart and see.

NRWhiteKnight

One thing to also make sure is that the throttle returns freely and is not sticking open. I know you mentioned that it was harder to turn, but did not mention about it's return. If it is not returning to it's home position freely I highly suggest not riding it until you check it as a throttle sticking open is inviting trouble.

The throttle on my old 600 did the same after lubing the cable. Turned out the grip was rubbing on the bar end.

• Like 1

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

phanomenal07
2 hours ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

One thing to also make sure is that the throttle returns freely and is not sticking open. I know you mentioned that it was harder to turn, but did not mention about it's return. If it is not returning to it's home position freely I highly suggest not riding it until you check it as a throttle sticking open is inviting trouble.

The throttle on my old 600 did the same after lubing the cable. Turned out the grip was rubbing on the bar end.

Hey sorry I left that key detailed out. The throttle snaps back as it always has. Can the cable that pull it shut make it harder to open? If there is lube on the throttle tube could that act as a glue making it harder to turn ? 

phanomenal07

Would adjusting the return cable help at all?  Or does that not do amything

phanomenal07

ASo it appears that I fixed it. I don't exactly know what was causing it. I disassemble the throttle tube housing and relubed both cables. This time with the motion pro lube. I reassembled everything as I did the first time. Everything seems normal now. While the cables we're disconnected I was manual opening the throttle body and that springgon there seems pretty stiff. Is that normal? And do people switch those out for lighter ones at all?