The MT-07 Forum

Battery Replacement

scat2me

What is the average life of the original battery ?  Has anyone bought from a place called Battery Sharks ? They have really low prices compared to OEM. Just not sure if they are a quality battery. My bike is 2 tears old and is used  weekly but not daily. Its been rough starting lately. I don't keep the battery tender on it everyday since its parked outside.

That's the $64,000 question. I don't think there's a more unpredictable part of a motorcycle. Some folks get 10 years, some don't get but a few weeks. It depends on a miriad of variables not the least of which is the condition of the battery itself as delivered. Fortunately they are relatively easy to test, easy to replace and not the most expensive consumable on the bike. I would guess most folks go thru about 2-3 batteries during the life of the average motorcycle. My touring bike for instance is 10 years old and on its 2nd battery, my fz07 5 years old and on its 2nd as well. Some do better, some worse.

I do shop all my batteries at a battery specialty discount store. I normally buy comparable substitutes, not factory replacements. On other occasions I upgrade to a higher spec battery to run extra accessories or whatever.

Just my .02.

😉

• Like 1

FZ07R WaNaB
3 hours ago, mossrider said:

I don't think there's a more unpredictable part of a motorcycle. Some folks get 10 years, some don't get but a few weeks. 

I'm still shaking my head on this one as I'm still running my OEM battery.

My FZ is 3.5 years old, and I bought it new. I live in an environment where the temp is 70-90 in the summer and 20-40 in the winter and my bike is garaged in an unheated outdoor building. The longest I go without riding my bike is 4-6 weeks, and I'm smart enought to not let it run for just 10-15 minutes. My battery has never seen a Battery Tender. I'm seriously shocked that not only am I on my original battery, but it turns over and starts instantly. I now plan to keep it going like this to just see how long my battery lasts without any help. Who knows, maybe I'll be one of those 10 year folks!

I got a new one after 3 years when it started cranking over a little slower. It could've went longer, I just didn't want to test how much longer and be away from home when it crapped out completely. 😉 I'm in Florida, the bike is garage kept and it's warm all the time so I ride almost every day, no battery tender necessary here.

Beemer

I'm disappointed if I don't get 2 years out of any battery on a vehicle or computer UPS or anything else.  After that I consider myself lucky.

• Premium Member

I had trouble getting the bike to start a few years ago after letting the bike sit for a few weeks during a snow storm. Since the battery was two years old, I was going to get a new one, but got a battery tender instead and I've never had a problem since, now four years on the battery.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, NikitaUCLA said:

Has anyone tried Lithium Ion battery?

I've not used a lithium Ion battery but I do use a Lithium Iron (a different battery technology) for over a year now and I have no complaints. It cranks easily even if after sitting for weeks at a time. I do not use a maintenance charger with this type of battery.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

NikitaUCLA

It really doesn't make sense. EarthX Lithium batteries claim to have electronics built on to the battery to manage cell balancing and overcharging. If it's okay to start the motorcycle and have the motorcycle's standard charging system charge the lithium battery while riding, why can't we use a standard charger to charge it? My take is that if the Lithium battery comes with onboard battery management electronics, it's okay.

Just now, NikitaUCLA said:

Has anyone tried Lithium Ion battery?

Yes, I use  an 8 cell Anti Gravity lithium ion battery. Mine is a LiFePo4 technology which stands for Lithium Iron Phosphate, which is one and the same with Lithium Ion.

20170909_134137.thumb.jpg.196b56a964ebd686bc3de2adae7d2bb8.jpg

I'm not going to say don't follow the manufacturers reccamendations, you can do whatever you want to. I will say they can be charged with regular chargers and they can be destroyed by regular chargers as some use de-sulfation technology to regenerate lead acid batteries that will kill your expensive lithium ion battery. Many automatic lead acid/AGM chargers also start charging with a voltage spike that can exceed what the LiFePo4 is designed to accept.  This is the one I have to charge this battery but I've yet to need it in the 4 years the battery has been in my bike. For $40 it's retarded to argue one way or another.

battery_tender_junior12_v800_selectable_
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Lithium battery or lead acid? The Battery Tender Junior Selectable can be set up to charge either one.

I'm no expert but the Lithium Ion batteries offer many benefits over older lead acid batteries for our intended purposes. Our bikes have more reliable voltage regulators than many old manual or automatic chargers and under normal use in a motorcycle with properly functioning electrical system the battery is never greatly discharged or overcharged (death for a LiFePo4 cell). 

• Thanks 1

NikitaUCLA

It's moronic not to offer disabling of the desulphate phase of the charging. It's really annoying. 

I'm 62 years old and this is the first time  I have ever heard the word  desulphate.   Live and learn :)

Just now, scat2me said:

I'm 62 years old and this is the first time  I have ever heard the word  desulphate.   Live and learn :)

It was covered in last month's AARP mailing, lol.

• Haha 1