The MT-07 Forum

Brand new yamaha mt 07 pulls to the right.

Keistrak

Hey guys,

Im a new member from europe Netherlands specificaly.

So yesterday i picked up my brand new yamaha mt 07 while riding back home i noticed whenever i take of my hands form the handlebar it steers slightly to the right. i tried this on flat roads on the same road up and down. So i know its 100% the bike. Now my dealer says its nothing to worry about and it should be gone when i hit the 1000km mark for the oil change. But from diffrent directions i hear that i should go back to the dealership and demand that they check it out and fix it. I dont want to messup the good relationship we have but im really annoyed because of the slight pull to the right...

Is there anything i could check for myself? I noticed the brake line feelst a bit tight/ under tension? maybe it pushes the clamps that hold the front forks a little to the left so the wheel goes kinda to the right?

Hope you guys can help me and sorry for the bad English.

Thank you.

1145974422_WhatsAppImage2019-05-10at16_33_48.thumb.jpeg.8ff270f8d8c418d9fc15a728beedd59d.jpeg

I would insist they put it right. They seem to be letting you down to me. It is not right.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

I agree that you absolutely need to go back to the dealership to address this. 

You can do it politely and keep your good relationship with them, as long as they respond and do the right thing. If they're a good dealership, you won't have to "demand" at all - I would start simply by telling them the problem and asking if they can fix it for you, since you just bought it. I'd be surprised if they don't at least take a look at it. 

• Like 1

so i already called and he said that it is nothing to worry about it could be the road or something like that.

He said he deliverd 70 or something mt 07s and never had this problem they want to look at it at the 1000km oil change if its not gone by then...

Alot of people tell me to go back to the dealership but then again he says it will be gone before i hit the 1000kms...

Gone? By what means? I would be looking for a second opinion dealer. 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

16 hours ago, Keistrak said:

I dont want to messup the good relationship we have but im really annoyed because of the slight pull to the right... 

Save what good relationship? So far all the dealer is doing is blowing sunshine up your backside now that he's got your money.

Move bars from full left lock to full right lock and look for any cable/hose that may be binding or trying to kink which may be trying to push your bars to the right.

I'll assume you tested on multiple road types?

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yes i tested on mulptiple roads. when doing this i notice the brake line feels kinda tight and pushing the yoke or tripple clamp? so im gonna unbolt it and testride!

Best option is going back this week i think.

Thanks for all the advice!

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I don't know how "bad" it is, but every bike I've ever owned (more than a dozen), has pulled to the right when I let go of the bars..... All roads are made with a slight "crown" in them, to allow water to drain off of them. I owned a Goldwing once that I swore had a twist in the frame. Turns out that it just felt like it, because I was looking at through the straight line at the  top of the windscreen all the time, and the bike was always leaning to compensate for the crown in the road, the windscreen made it look "crooked" compared to the road. You may want to try this- Get in the left lane of a 2 (or more) expressway, and let go of the bars. the bike will probably stay "neutral", or may pull slightly left. FYI: If you look closely at a worn out front tire on heavy bike (Goldwing, or cruiser) just slightly left of the center of the tire will be slightly more worn. That's because your front tire has been compensating for the slight crown in the road for several years. Hope that helps 😎-

• Like 4

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Its a really slight pull towards the right easily compensated by shifting my weaght more left...

Tried the same roads up and down incase for the slight crown.

sansnombre

Check rear-wheel alignment to the front. Even though there are adjusters, you can still get it slightly off, and that can cause it to pull one way.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Keistrak said:

Its a really slight pull towards the right easily compensated by shifting my weaght more left...

Tried the same roads up and down incase for the slight crown.

The crown will make it pull right regardless of which direction you're going since the hump would be in the center of the road sloping towards the outer edge of the road.

road_crown_pull.jpg.a8dc04907955879e9c42a28d8a8bdea8.jpg

Of course this assumes that they drive on the right side of the road in Netherlands?

Even so I'd still get them to check it... there are so many things that could be causing the issue. Many of them listed in the other knowledgeable replies you've recieved. Good luck resolving your issue. 👍

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Motorcycles don't experience the same pulling issue as four-wheeled vehicles. Even if the rear tire is crooked in the swingarm and the forks are twisted in the clamps, there are only two tires, so the bike will self-correct and go straight. Now, the bike between the tires might be crooked and crab-walking as a result, but it won't pull the bike/bars one way or the other.  There's just not enough tires on the ground to redirect and pull the bike around. 

I had a buddy that swore his bike was pulling and he asked me to follow him and watch. When we stopped I asked if he realized how far off-center he was riding on the saddle. "Huh?"  The bike had a shift lever that stuck out really far and he was unconsciously shifting that way to compensate. He's a big boy at around 260lbs. That amount of weight off-center was enough to make the bike feel like it was pulling. I had this issue once with a really unbalanced load of groceries in the saddlebags :D 

That said, the dealership should be willing to at least look at the bike, even though I'm sure all dealerships spend a lot of time dealing with little niggles that suck up a lot of their time. So, we can be compassionate for them while still expecting good service, but without demanding anything. But yeah, you are under warranty and they should be willing to check the bike out. It'd take them 15 minutes to verify rear wheel alignment and relax the forks in the trees. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, sansnombre said:

Check rear-wheel alignment to the front. Even though there are adjusters, you can still get it slightly off, and that can cause it to pull one way.

I'm with this assumption. My MT07's rear wheel alignment was way off when set up evenly at the rear adjusters. I bought a cheap chain alignment tool and it showed how far out it was, which was by a whole notch on one side. You don't need a specific tool to check the alignment (it just easier and quicker) but if you search for how to align your rear wheel you'll find various methods which you should be able to try at home using either a long level/straight edge or a piece of string.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

I'm with this assumption. My MT07's rear wheel alignment was way off when set up evenly at the rear adjusters. I bought a cheap chain alignment tool and it showed how far out it was, which was by a whole notch on one side. You don't need a specific tool to check the alignment (it just easier and quicker) but if you search for how to align your rear wheel you'll find various methods which you should be able to try at home using either a long level/straight edge or a piece of string.

whats the best way to do this i have this caliper at home. Do i measure from the plate that holds the bolt towards the holder of the axle?

Good call anyway!

download.jpg

InkedN74-15SA-9_LI.jpg

You should ask him if he would be OK with his bikes brake pads dragging for a thousand miles and when he makes that 🤥 face you tell him to fix it.

• Like 1

Beemer

sansnombre

Back in the day, we'd use a length of a 2x4 alongside the rear wheel that extends out to the front wheel. Center the front wheel, then see if the rear is misaligned by how far the 2x4 is non-parallel with the front. Not exact, for sure, but it would get us close. Nowadays, I'm sure there's something 3D printed or some such that would tell you if you're off by a mm . . . .

If I was pulling somewhat, I'd loosen the axle and adjust the appropriate adjuster maybe half a turn to a full turn, tighten it back up and take it for a ride. See how it changed the pull and possibly re-adjust.

Many folks would adjust the wrong way, so think it through. Also, be cautious of your chain tension.

This is just a possibility relative to your problem; the idea of a cable pushing the handlebar to one side is also a reasonable possibility.

Good luck. Be careful.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:22 AM, Beemer said:

You should ask him if he would be OK with his bikes brake pads dragging for a thousand miles and when he makes that 🤥 face you tell him to fix it.

I know where your head is at, but that won't be the case on these bikes. The caliper hanger mounts around the axle, so the caliper always rides on the same plane. If you cock the axle/wheel in the swingarm then the caliper will cock to match. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I know where your head is at, but that won't be the case on these bikes. The caliper hanger mounts around the axle, so the caliper always rides on the same plane. If you cock the axle/wheel in the swingarm then the caliper will cock to match. 

lol! Darn it, I always do that! I think you read into that differently than was intended but that's my fault for not realizing I'd written a double intendre. I meant >>> how would he, 'the dealership guy', like it if HIS brake pads on his vehicle (bike or car) were dragging for a thousand miles, I didn't mean Keistrak's FZ-07 but that's OK, some good came out of it and we learned about FZ-07 brake pads and double intendres. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beemer

Hey guys,

A little update! 

realigned the rear wheel again yesterday and it seems a little less then before!

Might be me i dont know tbh. Im not worrying about it and if it is there on the 1000km service ill get them to do something about it! Thanks for all the help guys!

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 6:36 AM, Keistrak said:

so i already called and he said that it is nothing to worry about it could be the road or something like that.

He said he deliverd 70 or something mt 07s and never had this problem they want to look at it at the 1000km oil change if its not gone by then...

Alot of people tell me to go back to the dealership but then again he says it will be gone before i hit the 1000kms...

Put a clothespin on your left nut, that should straighten things out a bit. 

• Haha 1