The MT-07 Forum

Winter sucks...

phyciocc

Same here in northeast PA rain and wind today and tomorrow upper 40's :(,glad I took a two+ hours ride few days ago temperature  was in the 60's  :).

Thankfully I can ride just about year round here. In fact I'm such a kindhearted soul. I will force myself to go outside and ride around today.
I will make this great sacrifice and brave this beautiful and sunny day here to ride just because you all can't.

:)

• Premium Member

I suppose the upside is that many of us can test some of our new winter gear. (ok, that is really a weak upside I know!)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I feel bad for the winter-challenged riders. Winter is my favorite season. We have a few days where we can't ride, (Like yesterday and today) but tomorrow the rain will be over and we're going out for a long ride. Freeze out tights, glove liners, a few more layers on top and I'm good to go. I'll post a pic!

@zephyr07, if it weren't for the palm trees I could believe that sand was really snow!

Illegitimi non carborundum

I woke up Tuesday morning in Idaho Falls, Idaho to ride my bike to the Jobsite and it was 18 freakin degrees. Man, that was a cold 12 mile ride and I pinned it just to get the ride over with.

Today it is raining and cold.

But tomorrow, it is supposed to be sunny and a balmy 52 degrees so I am probably going on my last ride of the year and then putting the bike up on stands and beginning winter maintenance.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I woke up Tuesday morning in Idaho Falls, Idaho to ride my bike to the Jobsite and it was 18 freakin degrees. Man, that was a cold 12 mile ride and I pinned it just to get the ride over with.  
Today it is raining and cold.

But tomorrow, it is supposed to be sunny and a balmy 52 degrees so I am probably going on my last ride of the year and then putting the bike up on stands and beginning winter maintenance.
That is braving it! Would heated gear turned on max help? 

Illegitimi non carborundum

hippiebikerchick wrote:
[strong]"zephyr07, if it weren't for the palm trees I could believe that sand was really snow!"[/strong]
Powdered sugar sand is one of the reasons USAToday voted like this in 2013...  
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/mjmarron/USAToday.jpg
(Your neck of the woods [em]ain't too shabby[/em] either, Bikerchick.)
...and scordiaboy writes:
[strong]"Damn it Capt Kirk.......so beautiful there ::)"[/strong]
It's even more beautiful during spring break...
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/mjmarron/Springbreak.jpg

I commuted on Friday ... It was 45 degrees F. My ride is only about 8 miles through urban NJ, luckily 4-5 miles is through a nice county park. I tolerated the temps with little problem. Have my rain liner in my textile jacket as well as the insulated layer. Wore a balaclava and my gloves are nothing special. They are Gericke brand, not really winter but my hands were fine. Trick is don't get gloves that are too tight, the little bit of extra room creates good insulation. My pants were just dockers and boots, my old triumph riding boots. They are like textile work boots. I don't think I will ride once it's in the 30's but may give it a try. Yes .. winter does suck!

• Premium Member

Winter sucks more...
Yesterday photo showed a sprinkle of snow. Temps were a balmy 38 F. Today, at 9:25 am, we're below freezing.
I am going to hibernate now...
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

Taken just 20 minutes ago... 
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/mjmarron/Nov01.jpg

Sorry. ;-)
......back in the day (80's) I lived in Vero Beach and Boca Raton (70's).....great times....drag racing at Moroso (PRIR now), among other things :(
Back in the late 80's I went thru flight training at FlightSafety in Vero. As far as Boca goes, I heard it has the highest concentration of JAPS in the world... "Jewish American Princess" 

Saw some snwglakes yesterday. Took a litlle ride this afternoon. Beautiful sunny day but just 5°C (41°F). 1 hour ride was enough for me. The end of my riding season will end in a few days. Winters suck big time.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Took a short ride ... 50 degrees F, not bad right? Windy as heck .. on the highway felt like I was doing 100, not fun.. lol. At the gas station, filled it up to $5.25, gave the attendant $6 and he says I don't have any change. What?!?! I think he expected me to leave him the whole dollar and not get my change. Told him I would bring him back a quarter (and I would have too). He scraped together about 56 cents, leaving me short about a quarter. I could care less about the money, it's just the principle of the thing. I know I went there once, it was $4.95 and they were happy to keep the extra 5 cents. For some reason this gets under my skin .. lol, but winter still does suck up here in the NE. Technically still month and 1/2 away.

• Global Moderator

Today was the first day that I was home that I was not able to ride. It rained nonstop here today. I am already starting to have withdrawals.

Archived