The MT-07 Forum

New England back roads build

Terry_b

• Premium Member

Here she is, my first brand new bike! I've had several bikes, but this is the first that I get to modify from a blank slate. I'm going to try to keep a little build log going - to be honest, I tried to do the same with my Camaro 1LE but eventually just lost track of documenting everything.

I'm going to try to keep this first post updated every so often with the current state of the bike.

This is the bike as of today (June 1, 2019):

Womet tech frame sliders and rear axle spools/sliders

(In the future, I may go with permanently installed spools or the Gilles Tooling adjusters, also coming soon will be front axle sliders from womet tech - for looks)

FTecu bike side harness and 2WheelDynoWorks tune

TST Industries front and rear LED turn signals and flasher relay

TST Industries fender eliminator and LED license plate light

(I have plans for a couple more of those license plate lights... 😁 )

Rhinomoto bar ends with Amazon special mirrors 

Amazon special radiator guard

Puig short windscreen

Cortech Super 2.0 magnetic tank bag 😉

Nelson Rigg commuter tail bag

Corbin custom seat

Hm0jx9p.jpg

yUFUn60.jpg

UFgMQPt.jpg

Coming soon:

Corbin custom seat - got the delivery warning yesterday, so it should be here soon

Suspension work - starting with fork oil, then work my way into better components

Exhaust and intake - I can wheelie the bike just by grabbing a handful of throttle (unintentionally found that out!), So I'm not sure exactly when I'll get around to this. Definitely suspension first.

Integrated tail light... Maybe. In MA, my registration expires every December and I'm required to get the bike inspected every year. I think legally, the turn signals have to be a minimum distance apart, so it wouldn't pass.

And this is how I brought it home, besides the frame sliders that I put on before I remembered the "before" picture.

UlEemR1.jpg

M4ooH07.jpg

UUN1ECa.jpg

Edited by Terry_b
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

I got ahead of myself, and installed the Womet-Tech frame sliders before I took any "before" pictures, but this is the starting point. 

Straight off the showroom floor... And already 80 miles on the clock!

UlEemR1.jpg

She's been home 3 whole days and we're already taking everything apart!

tqzBr8w.jpg

I've got a bunch of boxes on a UPS truck - next episode: TST led signals and flasher relay, Womet-Tech sliders, yoshimura fender eliminator, and a lovely windscreen that I just picked up from a fellow member here!

• Premium Member

So I got the Yoshimura fender eliminator... And I have mixed feelings. The finish quality is great, and if I was using the OEM  turn signals, it would be awesome. But I got the TST led signals and I kept running into fit issues. I also ended up missing the 2 license plate light bolts from the kit, so that's unfortunate. 

I ordered the TST kit, and I might pick up the Yoshi universal turn signal mounts too.... And then see which I like more. Not 100% happy with it yet. 

I also soldered my wire harness for each turn signal to, rather than use the bullet connectors.

pddInqs.jpg

ACCYgeq.jpg

eoaI4Xg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dlSKWES.jpg

Edited by Terry_b

When you're finished with the rear would you put up a pic of it from directly behind the bike to show what it all looks like from that angle, thanks!

Beemer

Have the exact same bike.  I'll be following your build.  Haven't switched to LED turn signals just yet....but am completely happy with my motodynamics fender eliminator.20190423_191125.thumb.jpg.efd5717aa72638b3d73452cdb3951364.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm loving that Corbin with the white leather! That's a great look!

I was honestly thinking about covering the white with matte black vinyl to see what it looks like... but you've given me ideas with that seat!

How are you liking it? And (more importantly, lol) how is the lady liking it? My girlfriend and I are not impressed with the stock seat at all. I'd love to see more pics too!

• Premium Member

Well, here are some of the final pics. I told myself if do a better job documenting everything, but so far I just keep building and riding instead of taking pictures!

0KCBEWL.jpg

3aynhOh.jpg

dP3gq4X.jpg

E5OFBjS.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I ended up ditching the Yoshimura eliminator in favor of the TST industries. I'm still not 100% on it either, but it's what I've got. Until I get my own aluminum fabrication equipment or a 3D printer, I'll settle for what's out there. I would love a plate bracket that provides the mounting points for the turn signals without the extra bolts. More streamlined appearance I guess. 

I did drill out the middle hole to fit the wires through, filed it down smooth for now, but I'd like to put a rubber grommet in eventually.

• Premium Member

A side project: 

Girlfriend was never really crazy about red, so we looked into professional vinyl wrapping. Local guy quoted us something like $1500 - $3000 for a bike.... Yeah that's insane. For under $100 I got all the vinyl and supplies. I'm still learning, and it's definitely not a pro level install, but it's coming along nicely. 

Gloss wicked is the color, a very dark purple. I'm using knife less tape to get some of the more extreme stretches done. I'd rather do everything in one piece, but despite hours of YouTube I still can't quite get that to work right.

I'll post more pics as I finish.

SEOwiXi.jpg

VIvDXCi.jpg

0IGOcOd.jpg

Edited by Terry_b
  • Like 1

I like the TST light. I've been looking around and every one I've seen is either too dim, very bright but too small or just butt fugly. At least those have a number of LED's side by side to help make it appear larger so it can be seen easier in the daylight but I'm still don't know just how bright they are out in the sunlight. If you can make a snort video clip of them out in the sun to show how effective they are that would be great. No one does that with blinkers, they're always video of them either in the dark or in a dim garage where they appear super bright and that's fine for at night. Thanks!

Beemer

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I like the TST light. I've been looking around and every one I've seen is either too dim, very bright but too small or just butt fugly. At least those have a number of LED's side by side to help make it appear larger so it can be seen easier in the daylight but I'm still don't know just how bright they are out in the sunlight. If you can make a snort video clip of them out in the sun to show how effective they are that would be great. No one does that with blinkers, they're always video of them either in the dark or in a dim garage where they appear super bright and that's fine for at night. Thanks!

I'll try to get some video. I've been working on getting a gopro setup to record rides with my girlfriend - might even throw those up on youtube eventually. What's the best way to get a video on here? 

Honestly, they're brighter than the OEM amber setup even in direct sun. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terry_b said:

I'll try to get some video. I've been working on getting a gopro setup to record rides with my girlfriend - might even throw those up on youtube eventually. What's the best way to get a video on here? 

Honestly, they're brighter than the OEM amber setup even in direct sun. 

Good to hear on the lights, I just may get some. The only way I know to put up video is I upload mine with my GoPro editing software. I just choose to make a clip and then click the upload to you tube option. It's super easy, no worries. if you want the best video I would recommend a 4k goPro or other because each time you upload it looses some of it's resolution so what starts out looking real good as 4k might end up looking like 1080p by the time it reaches the site you want it on. to transfer your video from you tube to here you just click share, then click copy and then paste it on your thread here. EZPZ!

Beemer

• Premium Member

For the MT, I've ordered a Corbin seat - thanks @Steve_O for that! I went with black leather seats with white dudes and no welt. I took a VERY long time deciding on the red welt or not, but ultimately decided to be a bit different for the sake of minimum red accent.

I also ordered an FTecu bike harness tuning kit. I ordered mine from the same guy who tuned my FZ1, @vcyclenut. These seem a bit hard to find, and the price was discounted a bit so I went for it.

Honestly, exhaust and intake *probably* won't happen for a while, but I'd like to get rid of the decel injector cut that gives this bike so much engine braking. My older Ninja 650 was also a parallel twin but didn't have nearly as much engine braking. Looking for tips on the baseline tune if anyone has any. 

Next up is likely suspension. The front nosedives a bit more than I'd like, especially riding 2 up. From what I understand 2018 got a bit better in that department, but I'm still curious about the spring rate. Maybe I'll try preload adjusters and springs to start, I'm about 175, maybe 185lbs geared up. Is the stock spring a bit light for me?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Some more progress on my side project:

I am a bit disappointed that I couldn't get the tank done in a single piece. I get the technique, and I'm certainly improving, but I just couldn't get a smooth application in one stretch. From what I understand, the 3m vinyl is also prone to leaving glue lines when it's repeatedly moved around, so that's a bit of a bummer. I'm just using knife less tape to cover the hard lines where necessary. You can see the seams 😐

SNFpn7J.jpg

mnoWNZi.jpg

• Premium Member

Got my FTecu kit in the mail over the weekend, thanks @vcyclenut for such a quick turnaround! Best price I could find and super quick!

This is a 60 hour week at work, but I hope to get it installed soon... Get rid of the decel injector cut at least. 

I also installed the Puig screen. I snagged a great deal on the Yamaha official screen from @JayMT07 but I didn't realize it was meant for the older FZ-07. Not Jay's fault at all, and he was absolutely awesome to deal with - even shipping from Canada he had it to my door in a couple days. It's in perfect shape, and I like the sleek look... The lines in the headlight just don't like up for my taste. So I decided to try Puig and keep the one I liked the best. 

I might try to get some better install pics and a comparison of the two this weekend, and I'll probably end up posting the Yamaha screen back up on here eventually as well.

HYzPVkN.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I also finished my vinyl wrap project. I now understand why the pro was quoting us like $1500 for such a small job. In a lot of ways, wrapping a car is much quicker and more forgiving despite being so much more square inch coverage. 

I think I have to re-wrap the headlight area. I took a short cut and didn't disassemble the headlight... And now I regret it. As is typical, the shortcut cost me twice as much time and effort. 

Up close there are a lot of imperfections, but my girlfriend lives it, and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I got a brand new bike, she got a brand new look!

tK4J2RP.jpg

YPOonCx.jpg

RsXbRX1.jpg

WlxlXnl.jpg

8FjvbZh.jpg

• Like 1

If you have any questions with the flashing kit let me know,  FTECU can sometimes be tough to get a hold of and I provided support for kits I sell

• Like 1

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, vcyclenut said:

If you have any questions with the flashing kit let me know,  FTECU can sometimes be tough to get a hold of and I provided support for kits I sell

The install looks pretty straight forward, and the ecu is much easier to get to so I'm hoping for an easy job. Do I need to get the fuel maps from Powercommander for a stock bike or just leave that stuff alone until I get exhaust and intake? I may remove the snorkel for now as that looks to be a nice free bit of power mid-range. 

My bike without any mods but I thought the screen looked pretty good on it. Seemed to go well with the tank and fairing lines. 

769B249C-B5E7-43D4-A020-C238F0AD7BE3.jpeg

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• Premium Member

I'll be honest, it's a close call between the two. I want to get some pictures and look at them side by side for comparison. I think the puig is just high enough to throw more wind noise at helmet level, so some points go to the yamaha in that.

• Premium Member

Here's a comparison: 

kV1XCNY.jpg

djO9Adi.jpg

rWhX6Ih.jpg

stickshift

The puig screen looks better in my opinion, really good. If they did one in that style for the early model I’d be all over it...