The MT-07 Forum

New ride: The predecessor to the MT07

kylerhsm

I have an MT07, and I damn love it. It's my daily ride. But I've recently been on the search for a candidate bike to convert to a custom scrambler/weekend adventurer. Sounds crazy? Not really :) I'm in a Facebook group called Brisbane Desert Sleds, and we all run either old school dirt bikes (I have a 1980 Honda XL500S) or custom scramblers (road bikes converted to dual sport/ADV). We have guys running Ducati Monsters, XT500's, Kawasaki W800's, SV650's, Ducati Scramblers, Yamaha MT03 (the little twin) and more...

Looking for a doner, I randomly came across the original MT03, which went up through to around 2013. It's a 660cc single cylinder road bike running the engine from the modern XT660. Very much street orientated, and learner legal here in Australia. You guys in the US never got the bike and so there isn't a ton of information about it online, but in consideration of the design and purpose of the bike it is very much the predecessor to the FZ07/MT07, just as the XT660 Tenere preceeds the upcoming Tenere 700 where they've moved to the much more desirable CP2 motor.

Anyway, all I have to say is that THIS BIKE IS AWESOME! And I'll compare the two below. The MT03 single really exceeded my expectations and there isn't that much between the two as you'd think aside from outright power (big difference here, although I'm sure it's not so big if you compare it to our learner legal MT07).

Ergonomics: Similar weight (190kg wet), same seat height, slightly more upright seating position that is very dirt-bike/supermoto style, and much wider bars. This can't lane filter like the MT07, but the seat is very very comfortable and the riding position very natural. The ergonomics on this bike are spot on for those who like an upright position. It even has a nice cushion for the pillion, which means this bike will double as my wife carrier (no chance of that on the MT07).

Engine: I'll get this out the way, the CP2 sounds so much better and has a ton more power. It's smoother, pulls harder down low and up top, and to me is really one of the best twins you can get. Power and sound aside, the 660 lump does edge the CP2 in terms of the gearbox. This bike has silky smooth shifting and absolutely no clunkiness (not even dropping into 1st) whatsoever. However, I'd take the CP2 any day. It should make for a good off-road motor through but is also quite revvy for a single.

Handling: Here's the big surprise. The handling and suspension of the MT03 absolutely blows the MT07 out of the water. This bike, which has a forward weight bias, is every bit as nimble as the MT07 but with suspension that eats up the imperfections in the road. This is one of the most well sorted bikes I've owned in regards to the fork/shock setup considering how basic it is, which uses the forks from the FZ6 Fazer and a side mounted mono-shock rear. It makes my MT07 feel cheap. I know the MT07 is a cheap bike, but the MT03 was every bit as cheap but the suspension is pure happiness. It has far better damping that responds so much better to imperfections in the road, to the point that instead of dodging manholes I actually head straight over the top of them just to feel the greatness of the bump absorption.

Summary: The thing that lets this bike down is the motor. While it's got a reasonable amount of poke for commuting and off-road riding, any old twin would have done a better job. But that's its only flaw. By every other measurement, this bike is absolutely a cracker and really well put together. If only Yamaha had have kept the same recipe and thrown the CP2 into this chassis, we would have had the perfect bike.

Here she is on her maidan outing. I've already started the conversion and added hand guards, a single exhaust and a round headlight (not pictured). TCK80 dual sport tyres coming this week. Then I'll test her on the dirt.

20190505_101511.jpg

Edited by kylerhsm
  • Like 2

shinyribs

Hey man, how about some pics of your XL500S. I've got one I've been building. Hoping to fire it up for the first time after work tomorrow!

I owned an MT-03 before moving onto an MT-07. It was a very good bike. It felt solid and well designed (it won awards) and it was Yamaha quality. It looked a little toy-like to me, buf it was light which was just what I was seeking.  The engine was as tough as they come and pulled well at low and higher speeds. The seat I found uncomfortable so I changed that. All that said, I never gelled with the single engine; it was a twin that I really wanted but Yamaha did not do one at the time. Then came the 07. Sorted me.

P1020893Lic.jpg

Edited by robbo10

Just do it! 

17 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Hey man, how about some pics of your XL500S. I've got one I've been building. Hoping to fire it up for the first time after work tomorrow!

Washing her after an outing with the fellas. I purchased it already repainted and with the aftermarket exhaust, but added the custom headlight, indicators, tail light and speedometer. I didn't want to go too crazy with custom work as I wanted to make sure I'd actually enjoy the bike and not worry about dirtying it up. I've built a few bikes in the past which once I'd finished, were too nice to take off road and made more sense to sell while they looked fresh.

20181112_172013.jpg

• Like 1

shinyribs
5 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

Washing her after an outing with the fellas. I purchased it already repainted and with the aftermarket exhaust, but added the custom headlight, indicators, tail light and speedometer. I didn't want to go too crazy with custom work as I wanted to make sure I'd actually enjoy the bike and not worry about dirtying it up. I've built a few bikes in the past which once I'd finished, were too nice to take off road and made more sense to sell while they looked fresh.

20181112_172013.jpg

Very nice! What muffler do you have on there?

And I know exactly what you mean about being too nice to take offroad. I decided to go Krylon on mine and didn't even worry about fixing any dents in the tank. The universe keeps working against me, but I'm really itching to ride this old girl. 

au5OX1cl.jpg

QqPBbrol.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 5:07 PM, kylerhsm said:

A GS500 I built. Sold before I got to really try it out :(

med-2.jpg

looks a lot like r9t

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
cornerslider
4 hours ago, hxman said:

I still have my 89 CR500 and it's still a beast......

Pictures?????

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"