The MT-07 Forum

Fluids?

persydonkers

persydonkers

Any one have any recommendations or preference on Oil,Brake fluids,Coolants,etc?

• Like 1

Liquidmetal

Motul 7100 4T 10W-40 for my oil, Hiflofiltro for my oil filters.

Maxima Chain Wax on my chain.  Non-ethanol gas in the tank.

My bike is less than a year old with only 2200 miles on the clock, haven't messed with any other fluids yet.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

shinyribs

Yamalube oil is actually very affordable, and I just grab a Yamaha filter while I'm at the dealership. My oil analysis come back stellar after moving away from Rotella, so it's new go to. I do use HiFlo filters on everything else.

BelRay Super Clean chain lube for me. 

Haven't needed to change my coolant yet, so no opinion there. 

Not picky on brake fluid. Usually whatever I can find the cheapest, but I make sure to flush it yearly. 

These bikes were built with ethanol in mind, so I wouldn't worry about that personally. 

Here's an old forum secret for ya on oil. 

Drink a shot of Whiskey, a red bull and three quarts of extra virgin olive oil. 

Now, drop and and do 20 pushups, get up and do 40 jumping jacks. 

Now, drink a PBR, and more extra virgin olive oil. 

Now, run outside and run around the neighborhood while making motorcycle noises. Ignore the nieghbors, they wont understand. 

Get back home, run in place while drinking one quart of Shell Rotella. 

Stop running in place, Lift your right leg and fart. 

Now unscrew the oil cap, put a funnel in there and pee into it, be sure to wave at the neighbors. 

Your engine will last forever and you'll gain 4 horsepower. 

I swear! 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Here's an old forum secret for ya on oil. 

Drink a shot of Whiskey, a red bull and three quarts of extra virgin olive oil. 

Now, drop and and do 20 pushups, get up and do 40 jumping jacks. 

Now, drink a PBR, and more extra virgin olive oil. 

Now, run outside and run around the neighborhood while making motorcycle noises. Ignore the nieghbors, they wont understand. 

Get back home, run in place while drinking one quart of Shell Rotella. 

Stop running in place, Lift your right leg and fart. 

Now unscrew the oil cap, put a funnel in there and pee into it, be sure to wave at the neighbors. 

Your engine will last forever and you'll gain 4 horsepower. 

I swear! 

Ha! I'm not into hazing myself but I would try some Rotella on the engine and that whiskey & Red Bull on my bread basket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beemer

• Premium Member

Mobil 1 4-T 10w-40 for oil,  wix filter, Dupont chain wax like @Beemer linked to but I bought Bel Ray blue tac;

bel_ray_blue_tac_chain_lube.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Bel Ray Blue Tac Chain Lube is the ultimate chain lubricant for all street, off-road and racing motorcycles with ‘O’, ‘X’ and 'Z' ring chains. It was …

Motul 5.1 brake fluid, and I'm looking at evans coolant or water wetter or recommendations from someone about what to use, haven't done a coolant flush/swap yet. 

• Like 2

I've been a fan of Amsoil products for a while, been using their oil in my Evo since I've had it with zero issues. It's a bit pricey, but I get a discount on it so it really isn't too bad considering the mileage between changes. 

I went with their metric motorcycle oil (10w-40) last change, used their brake fluid and chain lube, too. Haven't really put many miles on it since then, so I can't say it's the best stuff ever, but I do know the chain lube went on really well and hasn't flung off at all.

I bought their filter as well, but didn't use it. Not sure which strongman competition champ at the Yamaha factory put my filter on, but I couldn't get it to budge. Next change I'll know to buy an oil filter wrench before hand though.   

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 7fold said:

I bought their filter as well, but didn't use it. Not sure which strongman competition champ at the Yamaha factory put my filter on, but I couldn't get it to budge. Next change I'll know to buy an oil filter wrench before hand though.   

I had issues getting a strap wrench in there to get the factory filter off with the pipes in the way etc... I ended up poking a screw driver through the filter to get some leverage. It took three different holes through it to get it loose enough that I could finish unscrewing it by hand. Not fun.

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

FZ07R WaNaB

I started out with Yamalube dino oil, and then switched to Castrol Actevo (semi-synthetic). I decided to go full-on synthetic and started using Motul 7100. I switched back to the Castrol Actevo because my FZ ran best with it - never looked back

My $0.02...  Go with Castrol Actevo

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Actevo-10W-40-Synthetic-Motorcycle/dp/B00CJ8GAQ4

• Global Moderator

Mobil 1, OEM oil filter, OEM air filter, Engine Ice coolant and any DOT 4 fluid.  

Having said that I think any fluids/filters that meet or exceed the specifications in the owner's manual will be fine as long as you change then on schedule. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:32 PM, 7fold said:

I've been a fan of Amsoil products for a while, been using their oil in my Evo since I've had it with zero issues. It's a bit pricey, but I get a discount on it so it really isn't too bad considering the mileage between changes. 

I went with their metric motorcycle oil (10w-40) last change, used their brake fluid and chain lube, too. Haven't really put many miles on it since then, so I can't say it's the best stuff ever, but I do know the chain lube went on really well and hasn't flung off at all.

My first oil change the filter was so tight my wrenches, (strap type and cap type) couldn't budge the thing and I ended up tearing into it like @DewMan did to get it off. I seriously think ol' dummy #3 at the factory is using a breaker bar to tighten them on. Just be sure to put a little oil on the ring and only hand tighten it, it should be fine.

Beemer

I just did an oil change last night (Rotella T6 and a K&N filter) and I checked my old oil. Even after going well over the manuals "recommended interval" (almost double) the oil still felt slick and had good viscosity. (thick like honey) It didn't appear all black either. They do claim it to be high heat resistant so maybe that's why. It just wasn't worn yet and could've went another 1000 miles easily.

• Like 1

Beemer

On 5/4/2019 at 9:26 AM, Beemer said:

My first oil change the filter was so tight my wrenches, (strap type and cap type) couldn't budge the thing and I ended up tearing into it like @DewMan did to get it off. I seriously think ol' dummy #3 at the factory is using a breaker bar to tighten them on. Just be sure to put a little oil on the ring and only hand tighten it, it should be fine.

Meh, I really wanted to avoid the mess of driving a screw driver in there, but based on your  stories...I might have to resort to that next change. It's weird because the filter on my gf's ninja 300 was just as tight. I'll try a wrench next change, but if that doesn't work then I'll just jam a screwdriver in there and maybe give it a few light whacks with a hammer to try to shock it loose. 

The only time I've ever had this much trouble when trying to get a filter off was when the person before me forgot to oil the O-ring and I'm really hoping that isn't the case here (even though both bikes were bought new from the dealer).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I have heard the Japanese big 4 have some 400lb gorilla on steroids  installing oil filters on all the bikes in the factory.

I run Yamalube dino oil right now. I will switch to synthetic once I've got about 2k miles on her. 

Really though my favorite fluids are fresh ones. I don't have a favorite brand, infact what I have heard is that theres a few oil plants that make oil under contract for several brands. Some formulations are diffrent, but many times the only difference between two oils is the label on the bottle.

I don't remember where I read this but it lines up with what I know to be true in other industries.

My pops was a TV repairman, and I know for a fact many different brands of televisions are made in the same factories with the same parts.

16 hours ago, 7fold said:

Meh, I really wanted to avoid the mess of driving a screw driver in there, but based on your  stories...I might have to resort to that next change. It's weird because the filter on my gf's ninja 300 was just as tight. I'll try a wrench next change, but if that doesn't work then I'll just jam a screwdriver in there and maybe give it a few light whacks with a hammer to try to shock it loose. 

The only time I've ever had this much trouble when trying to get a filter off was when the person before me forgot to oil the O-ring and I'm really hoping that isn't the case here (even though both bikes were bought new from the dealer).

Hopefully, you won't have to go there but you do what you have to do. GL!

Beemer