The MT-07 Forum

recall notice from dealer

yotaman02

Finally received my recall notice. I'm going to contact the dealer next week. I'm in no rush. I've already checked my battery cable for any chaffing, and there is none.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Called two dealers about the cable recall. DHY in Deptford NJ had it in stock. Made an appointment next day, rode in and they did it in less than an hour. It was the first one the mechanic had done and he was careful to follow the instructions. They also attached my battery charger cable and the total cost to my was nothing. This shop has done service twice before and I have been very satisfied.
They did say the old cable could fray and cause a fire under my ass.

Got mine done today ... was 35 degrees F on the ride in .. sunny a bit windy, overall not too bad. Only thing they listed on my service sheet is the cable. I don't think they changed the bracket and yes, my battery is backwards, they did not know why, but as long as it works with out causing a problem I'm not worried.

Just got an item in the mail for a recall, looks like a possibly short battery wire can get pinched between the seat sue to its design.

I plan to take mine into the shop, but of course I get the mail on the day we have our first snow. 

I've been reading this thread and have seen some speculation as to what this recall is all about, so, when the recall work was done to my FZ-07 recently, I had some pics taken, learned some details, and decided to post my opinion on the whole ball of wax:
The pic below shows the original parts in place.Everything looks all nice and happy, and so it is as long as you know what you're doing with the routing of the wiring and have half a clue.Notice where the positive lead (red wire) exits the connection on the right side of the pic and then goes downward, does a U-turn, comes back up (which forms a loop of sorts), and then turns 90 degrees to the left and starts it's way toward the front of the battery in order to reach the positive terminal of the battery.

fz07frecall111614001_zps3067ecbd.jpg
The pic below shows the original positive lead removed from the bike but still shaped as it was while installed.Notice the loop in the lead.
fz07frecall111614003_zpsd50ad72e.jpg
The pic below shows the original parts along with the new recall parts.For each pair of similar-looking items, the part to the left is original, and the one to the right is the recall part.The parts to the left side of the pic are the seat brackets (which the front of the seat attaches to), and the things on the right are the positive leads.Notice how the original positive lead is a fair bit longer, and the recall positive lead is a fair bit shorter - two inches shorter, in fact.The little black thing toward the bottom all by itself is a specially-shaped cable tie (AKA: zip tie).
fz07frecall111614004_zpsea2e848c.jpg
The pic below shows the recall positive lead and cable tie in place.Notice the shorter positive lead has a much smaller loop below it's right-hand connection since there is two inches less of lead length that needs to be stuffed down there.It is the additional length of the original lead that makes it possible for someone to misroute the positive lead of your spanking-new FZ-07 by merely pulling up on the lead and undoing that loop of excess length.This puts the lead out of place and where it shouldn't be (like hovering over the seat bracket, or, even getting completely routed over the seat bracket - that's a mind-blower) and just waiting for the seat to be installed and squash the positive lead against the seat bracket.The new cable tie securing the positive lead in place makes it even less likely that some FZ-07 molester can do you harm.

fz07frecall111614005_zps5cc03325.jpg
The recall seat bracket then gets bolted down over the whole works, and the revised shape of the recall seat bracket where it passes over the positive lead makes it less likely that someone can slam your seat down on top of your positive lead, pinching it between the plastic seat bottom and the steel seat bracket and/or frame, chafing the red lead insulation and possibly allowing the copper wire underneath to touch the steel frame.Such a condition results in an electrical "short" (which means short circuit, since the steel frame is ultimately connected to the battery negative lead), a big no-no.This is where the word "short" comes from in what you've been reading (not the positive lead length), and is why the official recall letter you've all been getting mentions sparks.

Got mine done today ... was 35 degrees F on the ride in .. sunny a bit windy, overall not too bad. Only thing they listed on my service sheet is the cable. I don't think they changed the bracket and yes, my battery is backwards, they did not know why, but as long as it works with out causing a problem I'm not worried.
I remember when you first posted, stating your FZ-07 has a different battery in it instead of the specified one.My opinion on this: Whenever I've seen a bike roll out of the dealer with a battery other than the specified one, it was because of:
A) Before you bought the bike, somebody swiped the battery out of it to get another bike going on the spot.If the correct battery is not ordered right away to replace the one that was swiped out of the FZ-07, and then you come along and buy that FZ-07, then what?That's when coming up with a battery that's "close enough" happens.
Or
B) Somebody removed the battery from the bike (possibly to make sure it was fully charged), but grabbed the wrong one when they needed to put the battery back in place.
I don't see how the recall can be pronounced as "done" if your bike was sold to you with the incorrect battery since the battery lead routing will never be correct with the incorrect battery in place.This defeats the purpose of the recall.
My opinion?If your battery does not have YTZ10S on it, it's the wrong one.Period.I believe it is highly unlikely the bike came off the boat with the wrong battery in place.Even if it did, it's still the wrong one and needs to be corrected, and it blows my mind that nobody at your dealer fixed this.I'd demand the correct battery be put in if you actually rolled your new FZ-07 out of there with the wrong battery in place.It's only how the bike is supposed to be, ESPECIALLY with the recall putting emphasis on lead routing.

Checked the mail the other day and I received a letter from Yamaha.

As stated in the letter,

"In affected motorcycles, there is the possibility for the positive battery lead wire to be pinched between the seat bottom and the seat bracket due to inappropriate length of the battery lead wire and the shape of the seat bracket. This contact could wear off the positive battery lead insulation. If this happens, the positive battery lead wire could short-circuit on the seat bracket, which could result in the possibility of fire." 

There we have it. I hope not everyone has this issue but at least Yamaha is being proactive in rectifying it.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
grahamfz07

I decided to take mine in finally to the dealer and get the recall done. I hate other people working on my bike, I was worried they may strip the seat bolts etc.

So they roll the bike out after their hour to change the cable, and it wont start, throwing a code 39. They said oh couldn't have been anything we did, its just a simple plug and play.I must have turned bright red pretty quick cause the kid said I'll get the service manager to take a look. He tried starting the bike over and over before I finally said that's enough its throwing a code, there is a reason why its not starting, take it back in and figure it out.
Then it popped into my head, they mechanic forgot to hook the ground back up for the EJK. He laughed when I told him, oh yeah I remember that falling down when I disconnected it.

Brutal, no big deal but this is why nobody else will be working on my bike from now on

Archived