The MT-07 Forum

tested a couple intake setups on the stock tune

vcyclenut

vcyclenut

I had some time yesterday to dyno the bike stock, with the snorkel removed and with the snorkel removed and a sprint filter.  I was going to test the hord intake but after starting to install it I decided it would be an ass pain to go back to stock airbox and abandoned the testing till I add an exhaust.

I have not seen testing like this posted and I though some of you would find it useful,  this is with no tuning done at all.  I think the bump in midrange is worth the slight loss on top by pulling the intake snorkel.  Interesting that the exact opposite happened as I would have thought.  Bump in the middle with a drop off on top.  This is why real testing is need not assumption or seat of the pants.

Red = all stock

Blue = intake snorkel removed

green = intake snorkel removed with sprint filter 

dyno stock with intake changes.jpeg

• Like 5

mossrider

I'm certainly the last person to dissuade testing and tinkering but if you search Hord, Hord Power, JD Hord, intake, performance upgrades or anything similar you'll find that there is actually a metric crap tonne of information on here including dyno charts. 

Go to Hords web site and all the dyno charts are there as well as on here.

Having said this a person could easily use this info as a guide to save time and effort and go in unexplored directions to develop new data.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 3

Do you by chance have a larger image? It is hard to see much of anything with the lines being so close to one another.

• Like 2

bartman5impson

Here is a link to hordpower's website with the fz07 dyno charts

WWW.HORDPOWER.COM

I didn't see any dyno charts there for the snorkel so I'm hoping @vcyclenut can upload a higher quality image! Also now I am wondering how removing the snorkel affects an fz with an aftermarket exhaust + tune/fuel controller.

Edited by bartman5impson

1 hour ago, bartman5impson said:

Here is a link to hordpower's website with the fz07 dyno charts

WWW.HORDPOWER.COM

I didn't see any dyno charts there for the snorkel so I'm hoping @vcyclenut can upload a higher quality image! Also now I am wondering how removing the snorkel affects an fz with an aftermarket exhaust + tune/fuel controller.

Its a small difference in power when removing the snorkel. 

9 minutes ago, godoy.rafa said:

Very small difference, no point at all in modding this...

I disagree but its your bike,  for a completely free literally 2 minute mod I think its a nice little gain in area under the curve in the rpm range  that you ride the most

• Like 1

godoy.rafa
7 minutes ago, vcyclenut said:

I disagree but its your bike,  for a completely free literally 2 minute mod I think its a nice little gain in area under the curve in the rpm range  that you ride the most

True. Up to 100mph, the mod will give good results. But do you think this is something noticeable on the real world?

2 hours ago, godoy.rafa said:

True. Up to 100mph, the mod will give good results. But do you think this is something noticeable on the real world?

IDK but this is why I test on a dyno.   Improvements are usually made in steps.  Removing the snorkel is a good first step if your not planning on getting the HORD

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, vcyclenut said:

IDK but this is why I test on a dyno.   Improvements are usually made in steps.  Removing the snorkel is a good first step if your not planning on getting the HORD

Do you plan on dyno testing the Snorkel with the bottom section (rubber inside of filter) removed? I would think that the curved snorkel would or could provide a more laminar flow into the air box. 

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, godoy.rafa said:

Do I have to remove fairings and lift the tank? Or can I do it by removing the seat only?

It looks like you may be able to grab it with the seat removed and pull it out of the airbox lid. There is a molded lip that holds it to the lid, you'll want to try and push it inwards or squeeze it to remove it from the lid. Otherwise the plastic comes off and you lift the tank.

Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

godoy.rafa
6 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

It looks like you may be able to grab it with the seat removed and pull it out of the airbox lid. There is a molded lip that holds it to the lid, you'll want to try and push it inwards or squeeze it to remove it from the lid. Otherwise the plastic comes off and you lift the tank.

Ed

Do you think this will cause problems with riding in heavy rain, or washing the bike?

SixSpeeder
23 minutes ago, godoy.rafa said:

Do you think this will cause problems with riding in heavy rain, or washing the bike?

No. I live in the Seattle area and ride in the rain with the snorkel removed and it's never been an issue (or after washing my bike). There's no water pooling in there when I check the airbox drain. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, godoy.rafa said:

I don't think it would be an issue, that area is protected pretty well by the bodywork. I have not heard of any issues. 

I trimmed mine and left the snorkel on. 1659129684_May10th2019143.thumb.JPG.323bb3bd87cbb635062f0823d05771ba.JPG680510696_May10th2019144.thumb.JPG.9432b4cd2fcf6e4c93d3e94ecc96efcd.JPG

• Premium Member

BTW - I can remove and reinstall the trimmed snorkel with just the seat removed. It's tight, but it can be done. 

Ed

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Do you plan on dyno testing the Snorkel with the bottom section (rubber inside of filter) removed? I would think that the curved snorkel would or could provide a more laminar flow into the air box. 

Ed

I thought you were on to something when I looked at what you were saying, but it did not perform better anywhere then just pulling the snorkel.  These were literally done 5 minutes apart with that being the only change  so its real data

fz07 snorkel compair.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, godoy.rafa said:

I have heard this a few times that people think it will.  Just look at the intake of any modern ram air bike and this worry will quickly go away

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The OEM airbox is pretty well made to meet a variety of regulations, etc.. i just think it's just lacking the ability to be useful past 7k rpms... 

Shorter intake tracts(none inside the box) or go the "Hordpower" or filter pod route seems to be the trick... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, vcyclenut said:

I thought you were on to something when I looked at what you were saying, but it did not perform better anywhere then just pulling the snorkel.  These were literally done 5 minutes apart with that being the only change  so its real data

fz07 snorkel compair.jpeg

Thank you for running it and posting the data. I will be pulling it off completely (the Snorkel 😁). 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Since the original post was in "general discussions", I assume that this isn't a race bike??? Do yourself the same favor I did-  pull the trigger on the Hordpower intake system. If your'e nervous about riding in the rain, K&N makes a "pre-filter" wrap for that filter. I bought one, but I don't think it's needed 😎.... Hord did ALL the research, and developed with both an ECU flash, as well as a PCV map (if you go that direction as I did). He is pleasure to deal with, and that intake system + PCV map is by far the BEST $300 I ever spent on my bike!!! It pulls like a freight train! And no, I don't work for Hord, I'm just a very happy customer-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Since the original post was in "general discussions", I assume that this isn't a race bike??? Do yourself the same favor I did-  pull the trigger on the Hordpower intake system. If your'e nervous about riding in the rain, K&N makes a "pre-filter" wrap for that filter. I bought one, but I don't think it's needed 😎.... Hord did ALL the research, and developed with both an ECU flash, as well as a PCV map (if you go that direction as I did). He is pleasure to deal with, and that intake system + PCV map is by far the BEST $300 I ever spent on my bike!!! It pulls like a freight train! And no, I don't work for Hord, I'm just a very happy customer-

The Hord airbox, tune and pipe were next on my list until the Tax Man came April 15th. 😒

They will be the next modifications for sure.

ed