The MT-07 Forum

Which were your second set of tires?

bartman5impson

bartman5impson

My '16 FZ came with Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires and I've had them on the bike for almost 10k miles. I am starting to look into which tires I will replace these with when they finally wear out. Since this is my first bike I don't have any experience with other tires so I can't compare them to anything. I do know that these are sport touring tires made for longevity over grip. I don't remember ever losing traction on them except on sand or gravel.

As I start pushing cornering speeds and lean angles, I worry if these are sufficient or if a throttle chop or bump mid-corner will send me into a lowside. I have narrowed my search to (sport touring) Michelin Road 5 or (sport) Dunlop Q3+/Michelin Power RS. Has anyone here switched to more sport oriented tires? Did you notice a difference? How many miles have you gotten out of them?

I should mention that you can lose traction with any tire if you suddenly hit sand or gravel and as far as hitting bumps go, when you're in a lean I would say that good suspension may be more beneficial than a good tire but that's another matter. It sounds to me like you're concerned about "good grip" more than anything so I am going to suggest my 2nd tire that was very grippy and had a nice profile for quick transitions. It's the Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21. Granted, it might not wear as long as a sport touring tire but if you're more concerned with better grip, there ya go! Of course that's just one tire to choose from and others will declare what tire they like best so prepare to be confused, lol! 

The tire got a pretty good review from these guys, check it out. Edit: I should mention, since my S21 tires they have been improved. they claim they now last up to 36% longer.

1-2.jpg
WWW.CYCLENEWS.COM

Has Bridgestone built another brilliant tire in the new S21? We head to the artificial paradise of the Yas Marina complex in Abu Dhabi...

• Like 1

Beemer

My bike came with Battlax  BT023F Tires.  I'm not crazy about them. 

Trying to decide between the Metzler Road Tech 01 and the Michelin Road 5.  

Edited by scat2me
Mispelled

• Global Moderator

I replaced the Bridgestone's with Road 5's and have been very happy with them.  I have not had them long enough to know about longevity, but they grip better. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I replaced the Bridgestone's with Road 5's and have been very happy with them.  I have not had them long enough to know about longevity, but they grip better. 

Do you mean the Bridgestone BT-023?

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Yes, I guess I was not specific that it was the Bridgestone's it came with new. :) 

FZ07R WaNaB

My FZ came stock with the Bridgestone BT-023's. I replaced them with the Michelin PR4's. The PR5 was not quite out yet, so I went with the 4's. I was also seriously thinking about the Pirelli Angel GT's as well.

I gotta say, I'm not really happy with the Michelins. They ride much smoother than the 023, but they don't turn as quickly. They also increased the seat height which is either good or bad, and in my case - bad.

So now the new Pirelli Angel GT II is just starting to see reviews, so by the end of the summer, I'll get an idea for my 2020 tires.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 2:29 AM, bartman5impson said:

My '16 FZ came with Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires and I've had them on the bike for almost 10k miles. I am starting to look into which tires I will replace these with when they finally wear out. Since this is my first bike I don't have any experience with other tires so I can't compare them to anything. I do know that these are sport touring tires made for longevity over grip. I don't remember ever losing traction on them except on sand or gravel.

As I start pushing cornering speeds and lean angles, I worry if these are sufficient or if a throttle chop or bump mid-corner will send me into a lowside. I have narrowed my search to (sport touring) Michelin Road 5 or (sport) Dunlop Q3+/Michelin Power RS. Has anyone here switched to more sport oriented tires? Did you notice a difference? How many miles have you gotten out of them?

My buddy just wore through his old Q3 on his Fz-09 and decided to go with the new Q3+ with the dual compound. I'm going to see how it wears for him but I'm leaning towards a set of those to replace my factory Pilot road 3's

• Like 1

Bigturbomax

Mine came with bt023s. Im at 9,000 miles and the middle of the rear tire is getting a flat spot. The last 3,000 miles has been mostly highway with the commute to my new job. Im also torn what to get. The lifespan of the bt023s has been good( ill replace em at 10k), but ive not been happy with the grip from the get go. Ive been able to break the back tire loose point straight in 2nd gear and it never felt real planted leaned over. It the Pr4s really much stickier? Cuz id love better grip but dont wanna lose too much mileage. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I had the original Michelin PR3'2 from the previous owner, then went to Pirelli angel ST 5,000 miles on the rear, 9,000 on the front, got another ST rear to match the front's longevity. I have had 3 pirelli angel ST's on the rear, 2 on the front, very good tire IMHO but as I got more into involved with the bike and asphalt I'm now the recipient of Dunlop sportmax Q3+ as of today. I'm intending to trackday the bike this year. Their pretty impressive in person, but I'll hold judgment until I can give them a good testing.

• Like 1

So now after hours on you tube comparing tires. It boils down to 3. The Metzler Road Tech 01, Pirelli angel gt ii or the Michelin Road Pilot 5.  They all look good and are close in price. 

allbeefpatty
On 5/1/2019 at 2:41 PM, scat2me said:

So now after hours on you tube comparing tires. It boils down to 3. The Metzler Road Tech 01, Pirelli angel gt ii or the Michelin Road Pilot 5.  They all look good and are close in price. 

Okay, I can speak to this a bit. I went from the stock Bridgestone BT23 (yuck), to the Michelin PR4, to the Dunlop Q3+, and now the Roadtech 01. I cannot recommend the Roadtechs enough. My favorite of the four for both wet and dry aggressive street riding, and they seem to be wearing well; 4000 miles in and the look almost new. Icing on the cake, the tread pattern on the back tire is sexy. 

• 1 month later...
Bigturbomax

Alright, im at 10,500 miles now. Ill prolly run these bt023s to 13,000. Wife is already putting tires in the budget. VERY torn between michelin PR5s or continental road attack 3s. Has anyone got experience with the road attacks? 

On 5/5/2019 at 9:49 PM, allbeefpatty said:

Okay, I can speak to this a bit. I went from the stock Bridgestone BT23 (yuck), to the Michelin PR4, to the Dunlop Q3+, and now the Roadtech 01. I cannot recommend the Roadtechs enough. My favorite of the four for both wet and dry aggressive street riding, and they seem to be wearing well; 4000 miles in and the look almost new. Icing on the cake, the tread pattern on the back tire is sexy. 

I just did the same thing. Went from stock to the Metzlers. Added 90* valve stems and ride on as well.

topazsparrow

I went with Michellin PR4's and they wore out REALLY fast.

Maybe a bad batch or maybe the tire pressure was low? They cupped really badly too.

I tried out the cheaper and stickier Pilot Power 3's and they're really awesome so far. The back end will squirm under heavy torque on a tight bend and it feels awesome. Only issue is that the front end "talks" alot. I think the profile is perhaps a bit too narrow for these bikes. Likes to warn of a death wobble that never actually shows up - its just not super secure feeling at higher speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
andrewnguyen23

Michelin PR4s! Super good tires if you're riding on the freeways/commuting. Also handles really well in the twisties. 

I just put on a set of Metzler Road Tech 01 and love them. Noticed improvement over the stock Battelax after about 30 miles. I also added the Ride on tte sealer and balancer. I used the Ride on with the oem tires as well. Also put on some 90* valves 

Edited by scat2me
Miss spelled words

On 4/28/2019 at 7:29 PM, bartman5impson said:

Q3+ Ive had mine for about a year and had no issues with them and corner every chance its safe to do so.  Also they last longer than previous Q3's (non +). Though I wouldnt corner when its wet out. When its wet out I try not to ride bike.

longrider1951

Any time you select tires you're either trading grip for longevity or vice versa. For grip everyone I know that has Dunlop Q3's love them, as for mileage you can't beat the Michelin Pilot Road tires they are also very good in the rain. I really don't know much about the Metzler or Pirelli tires. Since I bought this bike to throw around in the corners my next tires are going to Q3's I still have the stock Bridgestones. Just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...
Bigturbomax

Just ordered a set of Continental road attack 3s. Ill let yall know how they do once mounted.