The MT-07 Forum

Power issues

Ak907

Hey guys... So my 2015 fz07 started acting funny at the end of riding season this past winter. Put it away one night after running just fine, no issues at all ever. Next day power issues and acting like it was running on one cylinder. So I have changed plugs, oil, filters, and drained the gas tank. Definitely running much better but not back to its former self at all. At lower rpms in low gears it’s acting jumpy. Somewhere around 6000 it comes back to life for the most part but if I hit  WOT it bogs back down. Gonna do the throttle body sync next but reading others posts that shouldn’t be affecting my lower rpms and gears. Any suggestions? 

On a side note I kinda wonder if a mouse crawled into my exhaust at night and is in there clogging it up some. Lmao!!!

Edited by Ak907

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I'd check the exhaust, as well as the intake for "blockage" (mouse handiwork). I always try to run non-oxygenated fuel, especially on my last tank of the season. Since I started doing this to all my bikes (about 10 years ago), I have had zero fueling issues. Before doing that, the first tank in the spring, always felt kind of "sluggish". Your issues don't sound electrical to me? That leads me to believe it's either an air, or fueling. Is it possible you mis-routed the fuel line? Maybe it got a kink in it, or it is getting pinched somewhere? Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator

exh sounds like the issue. engine cant breathe out 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

So I’ve pulled the O2 sensor and still same exact problem. Even though I siphoned the fuel tank out and refilled with premium gas and have run almost half a tank through it with seafoam in that tank a buddy of mine thinks I still have residual “bad fuel” sitting at the bottom of the tank causing it to act like this especially when I hit WOT..... So gonna fully remove the tank and completely empty and clean it out. At the same time I’ll be looking at all fuel lines and breather lines for any possible clogs, buildup, debris etc.... If that doesn’t do it I’ll move onto exhaust next. Thank you guys for your input... 

samallen1999

I've got very similar issues that just started up a few days ago. Very rough idle, backfires out of the exhaust, dies when I go into neutral, can barely ride it honestly. I'm going to replace the spark plugs and see if that does it.

That’s exactly how mine was acting. I’ve replaced plugs, oil and oil filter change, new k&n air filter, air box is clean, and completely removed and cleaned out fuel tank, fuel pump and housing. Still having issues. I wonder if it were the O2 sensor that is bad, if me disabling it not making a noticeable difference, maybe that is the problem. Any thoughts on that? I do have an M4 slipon exhaust coming and it should be here this coming Monday. I’ll have it installed same day for sure. Probably just order an O2 sensor just to be safe. I’ll keep you posted. On a side note I can strip the bike down including fuel tank off in less than 20 mins. now...LOL

stickshift
1 hour ago, Ak907 said:

I wonder if it were the O2 sensor that is bad, if me disabling it not making a noticeable difference, maybe that is the problem. Any thoughts on that?

The standard (narrow-range) O2 sensor is only used during cruise throttle settings, the EFI system doesn’t utilise it during normal riding through the gears.

I would take it to a dealer and ask them to scan it for any fault codes. Could also be worth checking the condition of your battery.

NRWhiteKnight
3 hours ago, stickshift said:

The standard (narrow-range) O2 sensor is only used during cruise throttle settings, the EFI system doesn’t utilise it during normal riding through the gears.

I would take it to a dealer and ask them to scan it for any fault codes. Could also be worth checking the condition of your battery.

I agree with checking the not just the battery, but the charging system. When I had my FZ1, it did the same thing and when I traded it on on my MT-07 the dealer did a check and said it needed a battery (even though the battery was new), and a stator. On the FZ1, the stator was a known failure point and I am not saying that is the case here but could be worth checking it out.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

• Premium Member
norcal616

Is this a CA bike?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Ak907 said:

Brand new battery kept on a battery tender when not in use.

Yep, I had a battery go bad under the same conditions unfortunately.
Just saying it's no guarantee that it's not bad.
Good luck resolving your issue. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Update....

so I just got done installing the M4 slipon exhaust kit. Sounds amazing!!!! If you haven’t changed out your stock exhaust yet I highly recommend the M4 from the sound standpoint. Now back to matter at hand. Still the same problem with power fluctuations at low RPMs and WOT.  Gonna take it to the shop and see what they say. I’ll keep you posted.... But goddamn that exhaust though! 😎

Just doing some more research and gonna go ahead and replace the stator as previously mentioned by someone else... Googling stator issues and it’s pretty much exactly the symptoms of my bike. Anyone else replaced their stator yet? Not a lot of info on it

Edited by Ak907

stickshift

I would test the stator output to determine if its faulty before replacing it. Might as well check the regulator too. All you need is an electrical multimeter to check both.

I have had a similar problem on another bike. All sorts of investigations led nowhere. Then eventually a corroded electrical connection was found. Sorted. I lost the guts out of the can with all the backfiring.

Just do it! 

• 4 weeks later...

So update.... After all of that I stripped it all the way to the top of frame, cleaned and dielectric greased every electrical connection as well as replaced the coil packs. I’m sure it was just the coils but they shouldn’t have needed replaced after only 6k miles. I’m sure there was an issue in the wiring connections somewhere.Bike runs better than ever now with all the upgrades I made along the way. Thanks to everyone for your input!

Well done. Sorted.

(Btw, on another forum I have made a similar suggestion to someone has tried every fuel item. Worth a try, I thought.)

Just do it!