The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 will shift through gears but it won't move, it only revs...

Iron Man

Hello,

I purchased a used 2016 FZ07 around 3 weeks ago with 2,700 miles on it, since then I've added almost 1,400 miles to the bike, everything was running fine then today my bike decided it didn't want to go anywhere and left me stranded. 

The bike starts and sounds amazing but when I put the bike in gear it doesn't move, it only revs. 

If the bike is in gear it won't start, and if I put the kickstand down it turns off (good sign) but if the kickstand is up and the bike is in gear and I let go of the clutch the bike doesn't stall, it just continues to rev like its in natural. 

Im thinking the clutch needs replaced but if anyone one else has had this problem before or knows what the problem could be any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

• Confused 1

I purchased the bike from a used dealer in Maryland and everything was serviced right before I purchased the bike, and the chain was freshly waxed. 

here is a short video of the problem i'm having

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4067.jpg

• Like 1

Damn pretty bike!

How does the clutch lever feel? Even if the clutch was seriously wasted you still have some small amount of attempted forward motion when you rev it like that. If somehow the clutch lifter plate got bound up ( like you pulled the clutch lever in and the clutch itself got "stuck" there) the clutch lever should feel pretty limp vs it normal tension. 

Any clunks, bangs, pops or otherwise strange noises happen before this problem showed up?

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

It kinda does sound as though the clutch is being held in and then being revved

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Yes, maybe  the clutch. 

Also check the chain sprocket behind the cover. Just in case the nut loosened, there were some cases I've heard about.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

It sounds like the transmission is going into gear, so as long as your clutch feels normal, it is most likely at the other end of things.  Your transmission output shaft may be stripped or the front sprocket may be stripped or loose to the point of falling off.  If all those things are good, the damage is most likely internal, in the output system of the transmission.

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Thanks everyone for your replies and thank you for the compliment @shinyribs its very much appreciated! This bike is my baby and i'm pretty bummed out to be having this issue, especially so soon. 

When the problem first occurred I did check the chain and the back sprocket while waiting on my friend with his truck to tow me back to my garage and they both looked good to me, and when I pull the clutch in it still has some spring to it when I release it, it honestly feels the same to me as it did before it started acting up.  When I would drop the bike into first gear it felt like it was going into gear but it wouldn't move after releasing the clutch (or stall after releasing the clutch) it acted like the clutch was being held in the entire time keeping the bike in a neutral state like @sorkyah said. I could also shift through all the gears and none of the gears would move the bike.

I'll try to look over the bike and provide you guys with a better video if I have time today.

Your chain is either missing, come off the front sprocket or the front sprocket has come off the transmission shaft;

OR you have a major problem inside your clutch cover.

• Like 1

I didn't check the front sprocket, only the back one so that may be the issue, i do know the chain looked intact when I briefly looked over the bike and the chain didn't have much slack, it still seemed pretty good. I decided i'm going to take it to my local Powersports shop tomorrow morning and have them give me the full break down on what's going on but having all of this information before hand is really nice, I greatly appreciate all the input!

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on what the problem was after I get it properly diagnosed but any all input is still greatly appreciated, if we can narrow it down it may be good information to give to the service department when I take it to the shop. 

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me on this thread! It really means a lot!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Iron Man said:

I didn't check the front sprocket, only the back one so that may be the issue, i do know the chain looked intact when I briefly looked over the bike and the chain didn't have much slack, it still seemed pretty good. I decided i'm going to take it to my local Powersports shop tomorrow morning and have them give me the full break down on what's going on but having all of this information before hand is really nice, I greatly appreciate all the input!

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on what the problem was after I get it properly diagnosed but any all input is still greatly appreciated, if we can narrow it down it may be good information to give to the service department when I take it to the shop. 

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me on this thread! It really means a lot!

I'd suspect the front sprocket if you're lucky.... the front sprocket gets 3-4 times as much wear as the rear sprocket. and if you've replaced the front OEM sprocket with an aluminum sprocket I'd suspect the front sprocket even more.

Good luck resolving your issue. It'll only take 3 bolts to check the front sprocket real quick if memory serves. ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

People, even dealerships, forget to stake the nut for the front sproket after r&r-ing it. After a bit it spins off. 

...or so I've heard...  

• Like 4

I can't say anything others haven't already said to help you, but.... wow, that is one beautiful color scheme you have going there. 

The exhaust sound was incredible as well. What brand is it? 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions as to what the possible cause could be!

@Cinimod Thank you! I have a full SC Project exhaust system on the bike, the video does not do this bike any justice, the exhaust is insanely loud and sounds like a jet when you're riding at higher speeds and has a mean growl at lower rpm's and idle, it sounds soooooo good in person. The red paint is a custom copper metallic and some of the frame that was left silver instead of black was painted black to match the rest of the bike.

IMG_0925.jpg

Edited by Iron Man
  • Like 1

Liquidmetal

All that time and attention given to painting that bike and they didn't take that damn warning sticker off the tank...

• Haha 4

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

17 hours ago, Liquidmetal said:

All that time and attention given to painting that bike and they didn't take that damn warning sticker off the tank...

I still haven't taken it off either 😂😂

I setup an appointment this morning for the 7th to have my bike looked at, they suspect the clutch plates are the cause of the problem but we won't know for sure until they look at everything.

mossrider
On 4/29/2019 at 4:23 PM, Iron Man said:

I setup an appointment this morning for the 7th to have my bike looked at, they suspect the clutch plates are the cause of the problem but we won't know for sure until they look at everything.

What did you find out?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, mossrider said:

What did you find out?

if my reading comprehension is correct his appt is for the 7th. Which is next Tuesday. ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

24 minutes ago, mossrider said:

What did you find out?

I actually just got it into a different shop a couple hours ago and they fixed it within a few minutes. He said the clutch fibers are wearing out and i'll need a new clutch in the near future but he said it should last until the end of summer. He said the reason I wasn't getting any wheel power is because I didn't have enough slack in the clutch, it seemed good to me at the time but he made a few adjustments and worked good as new. I couldn't be happier!

Edited by Iron Man
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

I actually just got it into a different shop a couple hours ago and they fixed it within a few minutes. He said the clutch fibers are wearing out and i'll need a new clutch in the near future but he said it should last until the end of summer. He said the reason I wasn't getting any wheel power is because I didn't have enough slack in the clutch, it seemed good to me at the time but he made a few adjustments and worked good as new. I couldn't be happier!

Looks like you found yourself a reputable shop... Congrats! 👍

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

mossrider
Just now, DewMan said:

if my reading comprehension is correct his appt is for the 7th. Which is next Tuesday. ✌️

You were saying...

Just now, Iron Man said:

Glad you're up and running.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys! You all have been awesome! 

I couldn't be happier to be back on the road again! It's such an amazing feeling.

@Dewman I do believe I found a good one indeed, they all seemed very knowledgeable and honest, he charged me so little for the repair I had to leave a tip :) I told them they have my business from here on out.

Edited by Iron Man
  • Like 2

mossrider
Just now, Iron Man said:

Thanks guys! You all have been awesome! 

I couldn't be happier to be back on the road again! It's such an amazing feeling.

@Dewman I do believe I found a good one indeed, they all seemed very knowledgeable and honestly, he charged me so little for the repair I had to leave a tip :) I told them they have my business from here on out.

For years I've dropped off Bratts and a case of Mt Dew for my local shop guys once a year or so.  I never wait or get charged for a tire swap.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mossrider said:

For years I've dropped off Bratts and a case of Mt Dew for my local shop guys once a year or so.  I never wait or get charged for a tire swap.  

Right on man, you can't beat that. It's always good to take care of your mechanic. I learned a long time ago if you take care of them they'll take care of you. :)