The MT-07 Forum

Crashed it - need help with a new build!

snufflestheanteate

snufflestheanteate

Hi all! I crashed my 2015 FZ07 about a month ago and I'm getting into the rebuild process right now, but I need a little help figuring out which parts to replace for a casual track build / daily street bike. I haven't been to the track yet, but since I need to replace a bunch of stuff anyways I might as well get it as track ready as I can right now so I don't buy OEM parts when I would just replace it with aftermarket later on. I used this bike to commute daily and don't want to lose the ability to do so, so it still needs to be street legal here in Arizona and at least mildly comfortable. Here's a list of all the pieces that are broken (and some associated part numbers) that I'll need to replace:

1. New front and rear turn signals
  2. Left side crank case cover - 1WS-15411-00-00
    1. Are there any aftermarket crank case covers?
  3. New mirrors
    1. Thinking about getting bar end mirrors that I can replace with a regular bar end on track days, any recommendations?
    2. Although, my right side mirror is fine so I may decide to just replace the left side mirror since it will be cheaper. Depends on the cost of the rest of the build.
  4. Side stand - 1WS-27311-00-00
  5. New midsets/rearsets
    1. My left side footpeg and shifter were destroyed, so I want to replace the entire assembly with rearsets. Is it a bad idea to get rearsets without also getting new bars with a lower height?
  6. Remove passenger pegs
    1. The brake reservoir is attached to the passenger peg frame, so I need to remount that some other way. I'll probably just get a friend to machine a little bracket to hold my brake reservoir where the passenger pegs previously were, or maybe just a long enough bolt and use the stock bracket.
  7. Left rear axle cover, washer, and nut (these were sheared)
  8. Fairing replacement
    1. Left rear panel
      1. I will definitely replace this with OEM
    2. Left side panel
      1. Not too much damage, so I will forego replacing this for now. There's a thin line of missing plastic right over the R/R, and the emblem is missing, but otherwise it's rideable.
  9. NEW BACK WHEEL
    1. I'm lost on this one. My wheel is bent to hell and back. Should I buy the AP Moto converter and stick an R6 back wheel on there, or just go OEM? If I get into racing eventually, is a non-stock back wheel an issue in classing? If I replace the back wheel with an R6 do I also need to replace the front? I need to get a new set of tires either way as well.
  10. New front brake and clutch levers
  11. Front suspension upgrade
    1. The reason I crashed was a tank slapper @ 60mph, and this bike seems to have a higher than average incidence rate for the ol' death wobblies (seriously, just look up tank slappers and the FZ populates those videos a lot). I want to install some sort of front suspension upgrade and/or steering dampener to try and prevent that in the future. Is a steering dampener compatible with a track build? What sort of front suspension upgrades should I be looking for?
  12. Fender eliminator
    1. I figure if I'm doing all this work I may as well take off that ugly tail. I'll probably take measurements and just machine something myself for this, as the aftermarket stuff seems way overpriced.

Alright, that's about it. A lot to replace, a lot of work to do. Hopefully the experts here can give a n00b a bit of guidance :)

Thanks in advance!

Build that emm effer;

1. Pick some and shut up, there's lots of cool led styles available 

2. There are no affordable aftermarket stand alones, go with a factory replacement

3. Just replace the broken one and move on, you have to pull them off on track anyway. Or if that bugs you there aee some pretty cool bar end styles too, but either way you have to take them off for track duty

4. Fix what you have if you can, otherwise I'll send you my old one free , you pay shipping (never used), who cares what it looks like and the bike should never be on it anyway.

5. You can't use Woodcraft, my first choice, because you boogered your controls and they reuse some stock parts, SO get these Sato's. Expensive, kind of, but works of art. The best I've ever used, pick your color. As far as handlebars, keep what you have if you like them, or change em up if you dont. You can go fast as heck with stock bars and they are much better on the street than clip ons

WWW.ORIENTEXPRESS.COM

We make your motorcycle go fast! Orient Express high performance motorcycle parts since 1973! for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Aprilia, BMW, Ducati and Harley Davidson motorcycles and ATV's,

6. Make a simple bracket or zip tie the resivoir to the frame rail and quit fooling around. There are aftermarket ones but get out your checkbook.

20160410_152325-3.thumb.jpg.49f42c83fccb7f081b7f6f37f844c376.jpg

7/8/9. Replace your stock axle parts and keep the stock wheels. Unless you are going 'all in' racing switching to an R6 wheel is expensive and some race organizations require stock wheels for some classes, it's an expense you don't need. Besides r6 fronts require an entire front end swap $$. I've weighed them back to back and there is only a few pounds/set difference between r6 and fz wheels.

10. Pick your poison but get decent ones that won't drag your pads, some cheap ones cause the front brake to drag, not good.

11. Modest upgrade that does a very nice job. Either Race Tech or Traxxion Dynamics are good choices. And do a rear shock upgrade while your fooling around down there, you'll be glad you did

AR-25-Damper-Rod-Kit2.jpg
TRAXXION.COM
p-22197-1998.jpg
STORE.HARDRACING.COM

Race Tech 20mm Gold Valve Kit for OEM Forks ONLY FMGV S2040 Please Specify what Bike you have Please note, these ONLY FIT OEM FORKS

Drop in Damper Rod Kit. Combines damper rod and cartridge technology for superior bump absorption, traction, and control.
gpr_stabilizer_dampr_yam_fz07_v4.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

GPR’s V4 installs easily and greatly reduces your risk of a speed wobble or head shake, thereby increasing rider safety and confidence.

12. Hack away and make something nice

You asked for it, 😆

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

If you need oem parts, I've got a bunch of takeoffs I'd be willing to part with for cheap. And big plus... I'm local

I'll need to head to the storage unit to see what I have exactly but I'm off the 17/10 interchange if that's close

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.