The MT-07 Forum

Shifting up clank sound

gnomanonim

Hey guys

Could somebody tell me if i'm shifting gears wrong way

8000km and I didn't hear this sound until recently, 50% of shifts up I get loud 'clank' sound like in this video (im shifting up using clutch btw):

It's hard to tell from a video between the poor sound on my android and no ability to feel the bike. It sounds like you have an aftermarket pipe on the bike at least so it may just be an exhaust 'pop' or 'fart' caused by chopping the throttle during shifting. This happens when the sudden appearance of unburned fuel shows up in the hot pipe, normal unless you tune it out with a fuel controller and a good map. 

Just a guess, good luck.

Either way I don't hear anything to be concerned about.

4 hours ago, mossrider said:

It's hard to tell from a video between the poor sound on my android and no ability to feel the bike. It sounds like you have an aftermarket pipe on the bike at least so it may just be an exhaust 'pop' or 'fart' caused by chopping the throttle during shifting. This happens when the sudden appearance of unburned fuel shows up in the hot pipe, normal unless you tune it out with a fuel controller and a good map. 

Just a guess, good luck.

Either way I don't hear anything to be concerned about.

Hey thanks, yes thats ixil pipe, it pops when chopping throttle but the sound is different. I have a 10k km warranty maintenance in a week, I really don't wanna hear It's my fault :X

Here's mp3 file, the higher the gear, the less noisy this sound is, it's almost the same sound when shifting down without blipping

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anc8ElKomZ5FgZk8-GszSiONv_TxgQ

All I hear is a combination of 'intake honk' and 'pipe fart'. Forgive the slang but it's the best way I know to describe it. Both normal noises under those circumstances. You wanna hear agricultural noises listen to me go by on my Harvey Donaldson, lol. 😄

I've found my bike needs full clutch lever travel to fully disengage the clutch for the bike to shift smooth as new.  End of last summer I suddenly noticed hard shifting out of nowhere. Test by shifting while pulling the clutch lever all the way to grip and see if it improves. Your clutch cable shouldn't be stretched so soon, but it may have too much slack in it for whatever reason. I have to run mine dangerously close to ZERO slack the get a really smooth shift. 

Edited by shinyribs

I don't hear anything odd.  I believe that the consensus is that the FZ(MT)07 is "clunky" when shifting.  I could be wrong though.  When I shift there is a noticeable "clunk" as it shifts between gears, nothing odd or strange, just noticeable.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 10:57 PM, shinyribs said:

I've found my bike needs full clutch lever travel to fully disengage the clutch for the bike to shift smooth as new.  End of last summer I suddenly noticed hard shifting out of nowhere. Test by shifting while pulling the clutch lever all the way to grip and see if it improves. Your clutch cable shouldn't be stretched so soon, but it may have too much slack in it for whatever reason. I have to run mine dangerously close to ZERO slack the get a really smooth shift. 

Hey thanks, tried to play with clutch freeplay, no change. I noticed no 'clunk!' when riding first minutes when engine temp is low. Will see what dealer will say after maintenance service..

16 hours ago, gnomanonim said:

Hey thanks, tried to play with clutch freeplay, no change. I noticed no 'clunk!' when riding first minutes when engine temp is low. Will see what dealer will say after maintenance service..

No clunk on low temps sounds like it's simply time for an oil change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bugeyes said:

No clunk on low temps sounds like it's simply time for an oil change.

What I was thinking. If your oil is worn out and more like water than oil you can get that  "clunk." sound when shifting. It may be a combination of the two, worn oil and clutch out of adjustment. Also check your oil level to see if it's low. If that doesn't remedy it I would take it to a shop. A reputable shop.

Beemer

50 minutes ago, Beemer said:

What I was thinking. If your oil is worn out and more like water than oil you can get that  "clunk." sound when shifting. It may be a combination of the two, worn oil and clutch out of adjustment. Also check your oil level to see if it's low. If that doesn't remedy it I would take it to a shop. A reputable shop.

Yes deteriorating feel when shifting gears is a reminder to change the oil as it's loosing it's heat properties and the change most often solves the problem. Adjusting the clutch can of cause be a good thing as long as you don't overdo it. If it "hangs" on the wire and is a little engaged all the time that will eat it.

Hi, yes I will tell them about oil. I've changed it before winter to 10w40 (like manual says), now I see that after 1st service 1000km they used 15w50. Also oil in oil check window in black as hell (should it be?)

Never heard of black oil being a good thing unless you're a Clampett from Beverly Hills.  I'd say it's time to get that changed out.  I'd also check for particles to make sure that there isn't any abnormal shavings, etc.

7 hours ago, gnomanonim said:

Hi, yes I will tell them about oil. I've changed it before winter to 10w40 (like manual says), now I see that after 1st service 1000km they used 15w50. Also oil in oil check window in black as hell (should it be?)

I recommend Rotella T6 Full Synthetic oil. It's cheap and works great. I've gone well past the owners manual service interval for changing oil and instead went by oil manufactures claim and my bike runs like a top/shifts nice still. Great stuff and cheap compared to other supposed better oils. I used Motul 4T (paid $10 more on the gallon) before Rotella T6 and now my bike shifts smoother, oil keeps engine lubricated better. I can tell by the sound, etc.

Beemer