The MT-07 Forum

traded my fz09 in on a MT07

vcyclenut

I was ready for a new project and after riding a friends 7 up in the mountains I really fell in love with the easy handling, nice torque curve, twin sound and unique character.      Just got it yesterday and only have a couple rides in but all the things I noticed on my friends bike I still really like,  very happy with my decision!

my mt07.jpeg

• Like 5

Bigturbomax

Awesome! Glad youre happier on your bike now. Thats quite a color combo too!

• Like 1

I like the red wheels.  When I bought mine in August, I had a hard time picking between the 09 and 07. I sat on both bikes at least 50 times.  I went with the 07 because it just seemed more practical and looked better than the 09. Even though I am used to its power now, it still gives me a big grin when I hammer down on it. I weight 144 pounds so I am  a light weight. 😀

• Like 1

I had an fz09. I prefer the fz07 weight and seating position. I've got mine all dialed in now.

• Like 1

I went from XSR900 to R3 to MT07.

The MT07 is my favourite BY FAR. It's light, comfy, flickable, and packs one hell of a punch down low. 90% of my riding is to work and for this, the punchy little twin with it's outrageous exhaust note brings more smiles than any other bike I've owned (30+ bikes).

The 900 triple beats it in suspension and outright power, but unless you spend most of your time on very high speed roads (or risking your license) then the 07 makes more sense.

One last thing, GET AN EXHAUST! The sound of this bike is the best thing about it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

The MT07 is my favourite BY FAR. It's light, comfy, flickable, and packs one hell of a punch down low. 90% of my riding is to work and for this, the punchy little twin with it's outrageous exhaust note brings more smiles than any other bike I've owned (30+ bikes).

The 900 triple beats it in suspension and outright power, but unless you spend most of your time on very high speed roads (or risking your license) then the 07 makes more sense.

One last thing, GET AN EXHAUST! The sound of this bike is the best thing about it.

Good to hear! The engine on this bike really is the diamond in the rough. 

Beemer

On 4/26/2019 at 2:03 PM, kylerhsm said:

It might be hard to compare, but what are your thoughts on the differences between the XSR and MT? I was planning on getting an XSR700 before I ended up buying an MT-07, mostly because I like the styling. But I've always wondered what the difference in comfort would be. I suspect the MT would be a bit more comfortable through corners.

2 hours ago, mule said:

It might be hard to compare, but what are your thoughts on the differences between the XSR and MT? I was planning on getting an XSR700 before I ended up buying an MT-07, mostly because I like the styling. But I've always wondered what the difference in comfort would be. I suspect the MT would be a bit more comfortable through corners.

I love the styling of the XSR900, and love the styling of the XSR700 even more. But both of these bikes are very tall for what they are, which I think is a result of getting a bike that already exists (MT07, MT09) and whacking on a different tank and seat without actually designing the frame from the ground up. The result being that the XSR's have taller seats than the MT/FZ's.

Being 5'8 (173cm), the XSR900 was uncomfortably tall for every day riding. I put lowering links on it and it was better. The XSR has super wide handle bars too so it was bad for lane filtering. I'd always wanted the XSR700 over the XSR900 but at the time I was looking, I could get an XSR900 with Akra Titanium for $500 more than a bone stock XSR700. That's a lot more bike for not much more money. So I ended up with the XSR900.

After selling the XSR900 (and getting and R3, then selling that too) I considered the XSR700. But it's still a very tall and wide bike. The MT07 on the other hand is the perfect size and height for me, and is very narrow at the bars so filtering is a breeze. Also, in Australia the XSR700 only comes in restricted 660cc 52hp format. Whereas, the MT07 comes in restricted format and full power HO (High Output) format. So I got a full power MT07 with Akra Carbon for cheaper than a bone stock restricted XSR700.

Other than that, the MT/FZ's have a slightly more upright position than the XSR's so put less pressure on the wrists.

Either way, you can't go wrong. I'd be just as happy with an XSR700 as my MT07, but I'd be sacrificing power and comfort for style. As an every day commuter, the former is more important.

10 minutes ago, kylerhsm said:

I love the styling of the XSR900, and love the styling of the XSR700 even more. But both of these bikes are very tall for what they are, which I think is a result of getting a bike that already exists (MT07, MT09) and whacking on a different tank and seat without actually designing the frame from the ground up. The result being that the XSR's have taller seats than the MT/FZ's.

Being 5'8 (173cm), the XSR900 was uncomfortably tall for every day riding. I put lowering links on it and it was better. The XSR has super wide handle bars too so it was bad for lane filtering. I'd always wanted the XSR700 over the XSR900 but at the time I was looking, I could get an XSR900 with Akra Titanium for $500 more than a bone stock XSR700. That's a lot more bike for not much more money. So I ended up with the XSR900.

After selling the XSR900 (and getting and R3, then selling that too) I considered the XSR700. But it's still a very tall and wide bike. The MT07 on the other hand is the perfect size and height for me, and is very narrow at the bars so filtering is a breeze. Also, in Australia the XSR700 only comes in restricted 660cc 52hp format. Whereas, the MT07 comes in restricted format and full power HO (High Output) format. So I got a full power MT07 with Akra Carbon for cheaper than a bone stock restricted XSR700.

Other than that, the MT/FZ's have a slightly more upright position than the XSR's so put less pressure on the wrists.

Either way, you can't go wrong. I'd be just as happy with an XSR700 as my MT07, but I'd be sacrificing power and comfort for style. As an every day commuter, the former is more important.

Great response, thanks. I'm actually on a restricted MT-07 anyway (about a year away from getting my full license here in NZ). I ended up picking a used 2015 MT-07 with 10,000km over a new XSR700 - the price difference of $8000 vs $12500 was too much to justify. It is a bit of a shame that unrestricted XSR-700's aren't available because I would probably consider moving to that once I get my full. As it stands it seems a bit pointless to buy another restricted bike once I'm on my full license. 

That said I do love the styling of the XSR's. I actually prefer the look of the older models over the 2019. Maybe I can pick one up cheap in a year or so.