The MT-07 Forum

Would you buy an electric MT-07?

Cinimod

What do you all think?

I've not ridden am electric bike, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much without the grunt and feel of a gasoline engine. 

yamaha-patents-header.jpg?quality=82&str
ELECTREK.CO

Japanese motorcycle manufacturers have spent years lagging behind their American...

No interest in an electric street bike whatsoever. I do think an electric dirt bike seems fun. Mainly due to being able to plod along through the woods in silence, but it'd probably lose interest in short order.  I'm a big fan of internal combustion! 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Yes, if the range improves. I'd like to be able to get in a satisfying amount of riding time in between charges. 

I considered buying a Zero before deciding on the FZ-07. Range was my main issue.

• Premium Member

I have had this discussion at work with fellow riders and they(6 of us and all bikes are paid for) wouldn't mind a E-Motorcycle- our work would be on board with building a charging port(s) if we asked... So with 2 charging stations one could ride 350 miles a day...leave home fully charged, take the long way as usual- arrive at work to charge bikes for 10hrs avg(avg shift length)... Leave work fully charged and ride the stress away till you get home- plug in bike... Repeat as needed 😅

We wouldn't mind one, it's still a motorcycle but it's got more positive points than negatives we thought... New riding experiences, a change of pace, etc...

But we all agree E-dirt bikes are the perfect ninja hooligan machine-mean how many front lawns have some of you been day dreaming of just one day of just doing some art work via tires/throttle 🙊🙉🙈... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Liquidmetal

No interest, electric bikes have no soul.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

This is what I think, this is my analogy. Although an electric bike could be scorching quick and a blast to ride it would be lacking and here's why. Who would rather their roller coaster ride be dead silent instead of packed with screaming people? Who would rather their rock concerts or any concert be at a low hummmm? Who would rather their sex partner be as quiet as a dead fish? I think that explains how I assume most people would feel about it. 

I imagine I would enjoy the bike for what it is but I would be a liar if after some time I said I didn't miss the sound of my beautiful Akra exhaust.

• Like 1

Beemer

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

I have had this discussion at work with fellow riders and they(6 of us and all bikes are paid for) wouldn't mind a E-Motorcycle- our work would be on board with building a charging port(s) if we asked... So with 2 charging stations one could ride 350 miles a day...leave home fully charged, take the long way as usual- arrive at work to charge bikes for 10hrs avg(avg shift length)... Leave work fully charged and ride the stress away till you get home- plug in bike... Repeat as needed 😅

We wouldn't mind one, it's still a motorcycle but it's got more positive points than negatives we thought... New riding experiences, a change of pace, etc...

But we all agree E-dirt bikes are the perfect ninja hooligan machine-mean how many front lawns have some of you been day dreaming of just one day of just doing some art work via tires/throttle 🙊🙉🙈... 

Something tells me that if you moved into my neighborhood I wouldn't be "Top Scourge" any longer. 😂

Beemer

3 hours ago, Liquidmetal said:

No interest, electric bikes have no soul.

I can agree. Not necessarily because it's electric, but because they have no clutch or transmissions. Could you imagine a bike that had plenty of torque to pull away from a stand-still in top gear...but you ALWAYS had to ride it in top gear? And, you NEVER got the option to zap the clutch.?

Range and recharge rates go hand in hand. Sure, 350 miles per day is decent range, but with a 10hr lull midway to recharge? That's just not practical.  Forget about long distance road trips or a spur of the moment trip to...anywhere far.

"Hi honey. I'm home from work. Here, let me help you chop those veggies for dinner......Oh no, you cut your finger! I'll rush you to the ER as soon as our vehicle is recharged."  🤨 Melodramatic, I know.  But the immediate "recharge rates" of a gas fired bike just offers a LOT of practicality and freedom. 

I would be happy to lose the clutch...and the gearchanging....and the exhaust noise. I don't need these mechanical distractions.  I would happily exchange those for torque being on tap 'in bulk' constantly.  Through the twisties I think riding electric would would be great fun (it is with an ICE).  For that kind of riding (mine) though, the killer is limited range... and, for me, greater weight..... and cost - presently.

Just do it! 

I would love an electric bike if it could charge up fast and have good range.  No clutch and no noise would be good with me. You could always add a sound system if you want your engine sounds or just stick a playing card in the spokes.

I fly model airplanes. All of them were fuel powered back when I started. Now all are electric. Every now and then I miss the sound and smell however the low to no maintenance of the electric power system is great.

• Premium Member

My kneejerk reaction is to say "No way! No soul. No range. No fun. Pain of looking for a place to charge. etc.."

That being said I'm thinking if I had one I'd quickly get used to the lack of motor noise and engine maintenance and smoothness of operation and lack of clutch/shifting and be fine with one with the exception of range and charging time.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

I also noticed one could build a race track in a downtown location for E-Bikes rather than driving out the to the boonies on select days to keep the neighbors happy... 

A factory turbo FZ-07 seems more likely a better bet for sales 😍

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Beemer said:

Something tells me that if you moved into my neighborhood I wouldn't be "Top Scourge" any longer. 😂

I'm happy in my little neighborhood... really impossible to find the same neighborhood that don't care about doing tranny brake testing/tuning or 2step testing/tuning at 3am 😁

• Haha 2

Bottom line, I think if people want electric bikes then they can simply go to an electric bike company and keep their minds and hands off of our gas powered bikes.

Beemer

Bigturbomax

Ive actually been eyeing a zero for while now. Id love to have an electric for commuting. Low maintenance cost, low "fuel" cost, tons of low end torque for darting through traffic....id still want my gas bike for the raw emotive qualities (mostly winding out the powerband and the scream of combustion out a yoshi can!). My ONLY problem with electric right now is upfront cost. The zero dsr is a little above an 07 and a little below an 09 power wise, but its $19k! If i could get an electric bike with 100 mile range and power like a ninja 500 for sub 8k....i prolly would own one already. So yes, id buy an electric mt/fz07,  but not if its over 10 grand....which it definately would be. 

Edited by Bigturbomax
Typos

• Premium Member

How bout an electric UTV???  

nikola_logo.png
NIKOLAMOTOR.COM

Nikola Motor Company designs and manufactures electric...

The electric powersports(bikes, UTVs, etc) seem to avg about 150-200miles on a charge currently... Seems like the market is trying to keep the weight down(battery density/range)...

Range and recharge time plus high cost keeps me from considering them.  I also love banging through the gears, so a lot of the man-machine interaction is lost when going electric.  I do like the idea of electric track bikes, which sounds like a load of fun.  I always thought that they should come with quick charge to 80% in under an hour and/or the ability to swap out battery banks so that you could have a spare on hand, which would make them even better for track use.  There would be almost no resistance for electric tracks as nearly 100% of the reason that we don't have tracks here are due to noise / air quality complaints.

The day I can stop at a station and exchange the battery for a charged one paying for the energy used, same with electric cars for me. The range limitation is my issue even though it seldom would be a problem.

I have not tried an electic bike but a couple of cars and the drive was not bad at all.

Edited by bugeyes

On 4/25/2019 at 2:07 PM, Zephyr said:

I also love banging through the gears, so a lot of the man-machine interaction is lost when going electric.  

I always thought that they should come with quick charge to 80% in under an hour and/or the ability to swap out battery banks so that you could have a spare on hand, which would make them even better for track use.

I found the opposite to be true as far as interaction goes.  What is lost in the lack of shifting is made up in other areas.  The quiet, powerful nature of electric allows you "feel" the bike, road, surroundings, and the G forces in a way that is much different from an ICE vehicle.  On a ICE bike that wonderful exhaust sound that we all love literally overpowers our other senses.  The absence of that mind bending sound makes it easier to focus on the exhilarating feelings of motion.  Instead of the sensory overload you get on a normal bike, electric feels more like riding in a Zen state.  Sort of like the difference between a rock concert and the symphony.  Both can move your emotions, but in different ways.  Couple that with the superior power delivery of electric, and there's fun to be had.  Having both types of bikes would be ideal... expensive but ideal.  Electric is definitely suited for commutes due to the range. 

Hopefully fast charging becomes more readily avail for bikes, as it already is for cars.  I bought an electric car in 2014, and fast charging was avail back then.  I could charge from near empty to 80% in 20 mins.  Several other manufactures like Audi are working on fast charger systems 3x faster, so the tech is here to fast charge a smaller bike battery pack in 10 mins or less.  Swapping packs would be great too, but not feasible with the larger packs that give you 100+ mile range.  Those packs are big, heavy, and would be difficult to make modular.   

• Like 3