The MT-07 Forum

2019 MT-07 power issue after installing mods (see post)

osxnickels

Hi. Just signed up here, just put some mods on, just got my brand new bike about 3 weeks ago...

So, I installed a Yoshi R77 Full kit (works finish), and a Power Commander V (PCV).

I went for a test ride, and noticed the power sputters if I open throttle more the (what feels like) 40-50% +.

Also, if I'm gentle on the throttle the rpms seem to max at 5000.

I tried the "yoshi r77 full stock af" and "yoshi r77 full stock af snorkel removed" maps from PC site. I also tried a map of me manually zeroing all fields in both fuel and ignition tables. That one was the worst. Power sputters at maybe 10-20% throttle.

I did calibrate my TPS per PC site and got it to read 0 at idle.

I am new to all this tuning stuff, and there is no dyno near me (upstate ny) i think maybe my nearest dyno is in like NH or MA lol.

So, anyone here know what my issue might be, how to fix it, have any maps to help, any tips for me to do, etc?

Thank you in advance! I hope to become a useful member here myself, but I may have a lot to learn haha!

• Premium Member

Is stock o2 sensor unplugged???

Is your ECU back to OEM state?? PCV maps are based on OEM fuel/IGN tables...

Unless the preset map is set for "per gear" it's the same map across all gears...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Wow! Fast response time! Thanks.

I attached the stock O2 sensor onto the yoshi header. I didn’t touch any other settings other then the pcv. I just plugged in all the plugs per the install instructions. I rode it about 2 miles to top off gas. Only have about 260 mi on it so far. I do have a k&n af to install but am waiting for that. I’ll probably have to make adjustments to pcv after that install you think? Thanks so much. 🙂

Dash throw any codes? I ask because i forget to re-plug my ambient air temp sensor in all the time, lower front right of tank. I get a code and limp mode sometimes. Recheck all your inline plugs for the PC5 too while you're at it. Just reload a generic map for Yosh/pc5 & filter. K&N really isn't anything special, about same as stock in these bikes, i know😉.

Hi! So, yeah I saw the check engine light come on a few times. Also, it did stall a couple times with clutch in and shifted to first when I was turning back into my driveway at low speed...something showed on dash I think each time that happened but I didn’t know what it meant. I’ll have to take her apart again and check all connections. I’m pretty sure I connected all things I disconnected to remove the fuel tank. The sound is wonderful. But the power issue when opening her up sucks. Would lowering the fuel numbers at higher throttle % help the power issue? I don’t know what I’m doing with the ignition table. Not really familiar with how timing works. Oh, and I read something about people turning off “fuel cut off” or something? Is that pcv setting or something to do with getting the ecu flashed? I used to be into computer/IT stuff, so I’m not opposed to flashing ecu myself. But I don’t know if I’m able to do that myself or if a tune shop has “special computers” for that like places do for cars these days. Sorry for all the rambling etc. I just really hate having things not work correctly, plus hate when I don’t know what else to try to resolve it lol. So thanks for your help!

Edited by osxnickels

Stop.

Don't get ahead of yourself.

1. First, recheck your work. It ran before you messed with it right?  Don't make it worse by going off on a tangent half cocked.

2. If, after rechecking everything thuroughly it still doesn't run right, then we'll move on. I have a feeling it'll be gooders.

I love the enthusiasm but it can be trouble, I know, I am my own worst enemy, lol. 

Edited by mossrider

Good idea. I tend to over think things and get ahead of myself haha. I’ll have a look over it all next chance I get. Tomorrow or within a week or so. So excites to have an active community here! Have a great holiday weekend everyone. (I’ll be home alone eating rice or ice cream or something lol. #ForeverAlone but whatev I have a sweet bike to play with.)

All connections look secure. I did unclip the o2 sensor connector. Still sputters bad. Now in first even. Though I didn’t let it warm up fully. Also, I saw a code and looked it up. 5d_15 says “Throttle position sensor: open or short circuit detected.” The connector is good. So I don’t get it. Maybe I didn’t do my tps calibration correctly? Any advice how to calibrate? Thanks. 

Just now, osxnickels said:

All connections look secure. I did unclip the o2 sensor connector. Still sputters bad. Now in first even. Though I didn’t let it warm up fully. Also, I saw a code and looked it up. 5d_15 says “Throttle position sensor: open or short circuit detected.” The connector is good. So I don’t get it. Maybe I didn’t do my tps calibration correctly? Any advice how to calibrate? Thanks. 

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you 'calibrated your tps and set it to 0'. Did you have it removed from the tb's? If you did, did it get replaced correctly? It's easy to miss align the unit over the inner yoke. It's also easy to get it miss aligned if the screws weren't marked before removal. That code suggests there is something wrong here. Carefully re-re-check everything again.

I would set everything back to the way it was before you began this project and try running it. Leave the PC5 routed in place but disconnect all its plugs, replace the factory connections and return all settings to pre-upgrade specs. Does it run correctly? If it does then carefully reconnect the PC5, load a map and try it. Seems like a lot of work but it only takes a few minutes and could save you A TON tail chasing and aggravation.

Good luck.3  

in the power commander software, I did calibrate>throttle position. Clicked reset and quickly went WOT then hit ok. Found that instruction on yt. Cuz at idle the software was saying throttle % was like 2-6 etc. I will remove pcv plugs and try it stock. One more thing, I figured while I have it open now, I’d put in the k&n af, and noticed in my stock af there’s a bit of oil. What the heck could that be from?!

Just thinking about the oil in af...maybe the dealer did that so the af would catch debris? I guess that’s what the k&n does. 

I removed the PCV and replugged all stock connectors. Bike runs normal now. Guess maybe I wasted money on the PCV. Maybe someday I'll get an AutoTune and give it a shot. Thank you guys for your help!

• Global Moderator
5 minutes ago, osxnickels said:

I removed the PCV and replugged all stock connectors. Bike runs normal now. Guess maybe I wasted money on the PCV. Maybe someday I'll get an AutoTune and give it a shot. Thank you guys for your help!

You may have just got a bad unit.  I would call for a warrantee replacement. 

12 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

You may have just got a bad unit.  I would call for a warrantee replacement. 

ok i will do that. thanks. if it matters, the power light stays solid green when bike is running. but the status light never comes on. Only time is when first plugging in the usb cord to connect to my computer. the power and status lights alternate quickly a few times then power stays solid green. i wondered what the status light was for.