The MT-07 Forum

Remove spray paint from digital display?

lilneddy

Well, someone decided they don't want others to have nice things, and they lovingly applied spray paint on my bike and one that was parked next to me. I may not even get it repaired due to the deductible being about the same as the estimate for repair at a detailing shop. Anybody have any idea how to get the paint off the display so I can ride?

IMG_0535.jpg

Edited by lilneddy
clarification
  • Sad 1

Geez dude that sucks... If that was my pride & joy I’d be pretty tempted to get the bike replaced on insurance, even the best clean up won’t get it all off.

The instrument cover scratches very easily. You don’t need to see the instruments to ride it, just travel at a reasonable speed.

Good luck!

OMG!! Bunch of jealous savages in this world, I hope you get your baby fixed.

• Premium Member

The culprit (s) shall be drawn and quartered via 4 Top Fuel Dragsters 😠

• Haha 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Mineral spirits on a micro fibre rag will clean it off. Spray paint comes if fairly easily if it's not been cured on for too long. A new cluster is around $300 either way. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

Sorry about your luck! Nail polish remover and a microfiber towel should do the trick. It may take a little while but it should take it off and not harm the display either. Just rinse it off real good afterwards anyway. You don't want your bike smelling like acetone.

As for the punks that did it, amazon has a great water board kit for cheap or there's the Indiana Jones bullwhip that'll put some snap in their attitude adjustment. 

Beemer

Mineral spirits will most likely be your safest bet. 

Nail polish remover is acetone and will melt it in a hurry. 

Safest bet may be just to polish the paint off. 

• Like 1

My faith in humans took a pretty big hit that morning. I called around to detailing companies who say it may cost aprox $500 to fully take off the paint and make it look as good as before. My insurance is coming out soon to give their assessment of damage but my deductible is $500. 

Although I don't live in a particularly bad apartment at all, there are many homeless people who use our complex as a right of way to get to where they are going. Last month I asked the apartment owner to invest in a security guard a few nights a week since we have had a big uptick in thefts and vandalized property. He said it would be too expensive and would not deter anyone. 😡

Edited by lilneddy

Well my insurance company has decided that my bike is a total loss. I’m not happy about that because I’ve grown to love all the torque and engine sound.  They are going to buy her from me at market value. 

Hear’s to hoping that I can find another one!

• Global Moderator
30 minutes ago, lilneddy said:

Well my insurance company has decided that my bike is a total loss. I’m not happy about that because I’ve grown to love all the torque and engine sound.  They are going to buy her from me at market value. 

good luck dude

Be sure to remind em that their version of market value is not actually market value. 

Do your research as well, see what the lowest one is offered in your area, and take into account taxes and whatnot. 

Did you get gap insurance when you purchased?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Acetone dries quickly, it doesn't sit on things melting them. Mineral spirits would definitely be safer for the seat since it's a material. 

bottle-of-nail-polish-remover.jpg
WWW.WISEGEEK.COM

Acetone is a solvent, so you can use it for cleaning grease, paint, and glue. Other ways to use acetone for cleaning include...

Beemer

11 hours ago, lilneddy said:

Grab all your aftermarket bits before they take here away. Take the check, buy a slighter cheaper 07 and enjoy the spare cash. :) Good luck, man.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Grab all your aftermarket bits before they take here away. Take the check, buy a slighter cheaper 07 and enjoy the spare cash. :) Good luck, man.

He's right, they aren't giving you any more for the aftermarket stuff but you can sell it on the side for extra $$$.

Beemer

If you turn in the receipts along with upgrade worth, they DO take that into account on total value. Of course if they don’t factor those prices into market value, I will confiscate them for my next bike. 

Of course I’m looking into another FZ07! Although if they do lowball me, I’m keeping this one. It looks like shet but it’s still the same bike! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lilneddy said:

If you turn in the receipts along with upgrade worth, they DO take that into account on total value. Of course if they don’t factor those prices into market value, I will confiscate them for my next bike. 

Of course I’m looking into another FZ07! Although if they do lowball me, I’m keeping this one. It looks like shet but it’s still the same bike! 

That's a surprise! I didn't think they did that. Maybe one of those progressive companies. Good for you either way.

Beemer

Follow up; they are willing to give me half the cost I paid for the mod parts when I bought them. That’s not too bad but..... I’m still going to try to remove a couple of the less conspicuous ones like the lowering kit and MAYBE I will look into replacing the exhaust  before I turn it in with a good Chineseium copy. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

• Like 1