The MT-07 Forum

On the hunt for a cable lock for a future trip.

DewMan

• Premium Member

I'd found the 4.5 star highly rated MasterLock Python...

but then I find it only takes a few seconds and zero skill to defeat the lock without damaging it.

Finding locks on google that are bad seems a lot easier than finding locks that are secure.

If anyone knows of an actually secure bike cable/Lock that is available please let me know. I'm looking for a minimum 10ft/3m length.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I ended up with the following after seriously overthinking this subject.

https://www.abuslocks.com/product/690/12ks-high-security-chain

and a companion lock:

https://www.abuslocks.com/product/476/3770rk-granit-series-steel-padlock

It's not the optimal solution but it is adequate enough for now. The chain is serious.  Made from anti corrosion coated hardened steel that requires 20,000lbs/9,072kg of cutting force with nylon sleeve to help protect your paint..

The 9/16" (14mm) shackled padlock is no slouch either weighing in at 1.9 lbs/.86kg. It requires 16,000 lbs/7257kg of leverage force to force out the hasp. "The 65 Rockwell core-hardened lock body and shackle resists freon spray or any other type of physical attack" . It also exceeds ASTM standards. Lock resists picking unless you're a seriously skilled picker. And if a picker has  that kind skill s/he is rare. The key can only be duplicated by the manufacture using an unique key code specifically assigned to me.

Is it overkill for a padlock and chain to occasionally chain up my bike? Probably, but that's the point. 😁

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.