Sign in to follow this  
godoy.rafa

Need help to find a long narrow helmet!

godoy.rafa

I'm having a hard time finding a helmet that fits my head.

My head shape is (very) long narrow. I have an Arai RX-Q size 62 that fits good from forehead to back of the head,  but it is loose on the cheeks.

Bought a LS2 Arrow size 62 that is supposed to have a long narrow shape, used it for 25 minutes and my forehead is sore.

My budget is up to $300.

Do you guys have any advice?

mossrider

I'd get a new cheek pad set for a smaller Arai RX-Q and stuff them in, if that helmet fits well otherwise. They should fit just fine. Cheaper than a new helmet too. 

• Like 1

shinyribs

LS2 is the longest helmet I've ever seen, so I don't know who else to suggest. I can tell you that HJC, Scorpion, AGV , SHOEI and FLY will be brands to avoid since LS2 is not long enough.  Good luck, man.

I might get flamed for this, but in the interest of offering help from one rider to another, here's some advice you can follow according to your own comfort level.

My forehead used to get sore in my AGV K5. I had to SLIGHTLY massage the EPS foam in that area to relieve a pressure point. You can't go crazy on EPS hitting it with hammers or generally being rough with it, but it's not unheard of to massage SMALL areas to create a better fit. I just had to depress a crease about 1/8" in my case. Just something to consider if you are struggling to find a proper fit. Use common sense and your  own judgement while considering this, of course. 

• Like 2

kylerhsm

Hmmmm, I'm an oval head so I was going to recommend Arai as well, but looks like you've already gone down that path.

Most manufacturers will identify the shape of their various helmets. I think they generally come in round, intemediate oval, and oval. Try tracking down a full oval and you should be fine.

• Like 1

rider
22 hours ago, shinyribs said:

LS2 is the longest helmet I've ever seen, so I don't know who else to suggest. I can tell you that HJC, Scorpion, AGV , SHOEI and FLY will be brands to avoid since LS2 is not long enough.  Good luck, man.

I might get flamed for this, but in the interest of offering help from one rider to another, here's some advice you can follow according to your own comfort level.

My forehead used to get sore in my AGV K5. I had to SLIGHTLY massage the EPS foam in that area to relieve a pressure point. You can't go crazy on EPS hitting it with hammers or generally being rough with it, but it's not unheard of to massage SMALL areas to create a better fit. I just had to depress a crease about 1/8" in my case. Just something to consider if you are struggling to find a proper fit. Use common sense and your  own judgement while considering this, of course. 

I've done the same thing.  I used a spoon and compressed the tight areas just a bit.  The headache from a tight spot gets worse the longer you wear the helmet and your concentration goes from where you need it to stay alive to the pain. 

I know, I know, "don't mess with it or it won't work right in a crash", but when you can't find a helmet that fits right, it's either ride in pain, ride without a helmet, reshape it so it fits or dont ride.

• Like 2

godoy.rafa

Great information guys! I'll get a LS2 a size up and tried to compress the tight areas.