The MT-07 Forum

Securing helmet/jacket to the bike

KyleC4

I know there’s a cable for a helmet underneath the rear seat but it seems like a pain to use over and over (taking out the screwdriver, threading the cable through the D-ring, refastening the screwdriver, etc). Has anyone found any better solutions for locking their helmet and/or jacket to avoid having to carry them around?

• Premium Member

You can use a "gun lock cable" to secure the helmet to the bike... But jacket requires a cargo box option... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I bought one of these off ebay. It was the SAVAGE "brand". Kinda sucks having a extra key, but it's been a solid little lock. It replaces the bar clamp on your master cylinder. With the bars locked to the left I lock the helmet and flip it up on to the bars. If it's raining outside it keeps my gloves, balaclava ,etc, dry inside the helmet. 

dqCJXmfl.jpg

iJFPteyl.jpg

RfhCSRvl.jpg

For my jacket I use a length of light hanging chain you can get from an hardware store. It's not real heavy duty. A decent set of pliers will cut through it, but most any cables are the same way. I use the chain because it's super light and I can toss it in my jacket's stash pocket. I never notice it's there, but it's always there. Just run it through the sleeve and lock it in with the helmet lock. Lowe's sell it off a roll. I think a 5' length cost me a couple bucks. 

sash-chain-1.gif

Liquidmetal
14 hours ago, norcal616 said:

You can use a "gun lock cable" to secure the helmet to the bike... But jacket requires a cargo box option... 

The gun lock cable works quite well, it is what I use for securing my helmet to my FZ on the rare occasions when I leave the helmet with the bike.

The cables were quite expensive when I purchased them, I paid anywhere from $400 - $1500 each for them but they came with a free gun, so there is that.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Liquidmetal said:

The gun lock cable works quite well, it is what I use for securing my helmet to my FZ on the rare occasions when I leave the helmet with the bike.

The cables were quite expensive when I purchased them, I paid anywhere from $400 - $1500 each for them but they came with a free gun, so there is that.

😆 Gotta love "free" guns.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

topazsparrow
15 hours ago, norcal616 said:

I bought a piece of high tensile steel cable that I just route through the sleeve and D ring on my helmet. Keeps both relatively safe and secure.

Anyone bringing tools good enough to cut the cable is going to get whatever they wanted anyway.

Archived