The MT-07 Forum

Rear Suspension Setting For 170 Pound Rider?

dmaster9494

dmaster9494

I plan on going in to a shop to have someone help set it but was wondering in the mean time what you guys would recommend?

The rule of thumb for setting sag is 1/4 to 1/3 of total suspension travel. That's when seated, of course. We're looking right at 5.1" of wheel travel. The 1/3 travel is typically used for long travel bikes (9"+), and 1/4 travel for most street bikes, but nothing is really set in stone. 1/4 of 5.1" is roughly 1.25", or about 32mm. 

I'm 220lbs and am running about 28mm. It's a bit firm at times, but just right when I'm loaded up. I never ride a passenger. I'd shoot for 28-32mm as a baseline and adjust to suit yourself from there. 

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, dmaster9494 said:

I plan on going in to a shop to have someone help set it but was wondering in the mean time what you guys would recommend?

Get a friend to help you set it, it is a fun and easy project.  There are a ton of videos on YouTube on how to do it. Dave Moss has some great ones and he is a respected suspension guy, so you will not end up with sketchy info from someone who knows less then he thinks he does. 

2 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Get a friend to help you set it, it is a fun and easy project.  There are a ton of videos on YouTube on how to do it. Dave Moss has some great ones and he is a respected suspension guy, so you will not end up with sketchy info from someone who knows less then he thinks he does. 

I just pop in here for some entertainment & to kill time while recuperating from a f@#ked up hand & because Cruizin is a solid guy & wanted (deserves) more interaction on the forum.  But whatever. I've never bullshitted anyone & I only offer advice on topics I'm well experienced with.  Otherwise I just lurk & learn. But yeah, the easy answer is to send everyone to YouTube & ultimately pay a shop vs. learning for yourself. Whatever suits your comfort level. 

Suspension tuning/revalving is mindnumbingly simple after you spend timing learning the ropes. 

Ride safe, y'all. ✌️

Archived