The MT-07 Forum

Rear Shock Stuck?

Connex

I've hit a wall trying to remove the OEM rear shock... The shock is offloaded and both front+rear bolts have been removed, but I can't get the thing to budge. It continues to pivot as if the front bolt is inserted. I noticed a collar on the shifter side on the bike. Does this thread all the way through the shock and need to be removed prior? I've been at this for hours and haven't seen anyone run into this problem 

Just now, Connex said:

I've hit a wall trying to remove the OEM rear shock... The shock is offloaded and both front+rear bolts have been removed, but I can't get the thing to budge. It continues to pivot as if the front bolt is inserted. I noticed a collar on the shifter side on the bike. Does this thread all the way through the shock and need to be removed prior? I've been at this for hours and haven't seen anyone run into this problem 

It should pop right out providing it's been properly disconnected. It may be bound a wee bit by compression even if the wheels are off the ground. Try GENTLY levering the rear clevis off the linkage pivot. Post a pic if you can. Something is just dragging on it a bit in all likelihood.

It  should pop out. Give a nudge backward now. Theres nothing but squished out rubber grommet being pinched in the front now. I'm guessing it's bound by something on top now...

That bushing in the forward/engine side mount will slip all the way with your fingers. Wouldn't hurt to pop it out just to be safe. Wiggling the rear end of the shock side to side, like a dog wagging it's tail, should be plenty to nudge the bushing out of way, though. 

Don't wiggle the shock with a ton of pressure. The shock is long enough to give enough leverage to snap an engine ear, but I don't think you'll be going that far anyway. 

Success! Now I'm having the same struggle getting the Ohlins in... Should the collar on the left side move? It's stuck in place

4 minutes ago, Connex said:

Success! Now I'm having the same struggle getting the Ohlins in... Should the collar on the left side move? It's stuck in place

Yes, it should move freely. It's actually important that it does. It acts as a floating spacer that prevents the bolt pinching the two case ears together and possibly snapping them. The bolt comes in through the left ear but should but be not putting any pressure on it. The bolt pushes that spacer against the shock and against the opposite ear.

Use your favorite flavor of solvent that's paint-safe ( window cleaner would probably work) , clean her up and pop it back in with a skim of grease. 

Thank you! You're both life savers! I was able to tap the collar out after removing the shock. I cleaned and greased it up as you recommended, shinyribs! 

• Global Moderator

Now we just need to know what you think of the Ohlins, @Connex.  Replacing my rear shock (I went with Nitron) made a huge difference in how the bike felt.  I am sure you will love the upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Connex said:

Thank you! You're both life savers! I was able to tap the collar out after removing the shock. I cleaned and greased it up as you recommended, shinyribs! 

Good deal! Yeah, it's a weird little setup. Took me a bit to wrap my head around it the first time I was in there. 

Archived