NikitaUCLA

Future FZ07 Wishlist

NikitaUCLA

I love my FZ07. I came out of 15 years of riding "retirement" because of it.

But the MT07 needs to improve. I want lean angle traction control and quick shifter. I want the KTM Duke 790 in a Yamaha!

don't force me to go to KTM.....

• Haha 1

topazsparrow
56 minutes ago, NikitaUCLA said:

I love my FZ07. I came out of 15 years of riding "retirement" because of it.

But the MT07 needs to improve. I want lean angle traction control and quick shifter. I want the KTM Duke 790 in a Yamaha!

don't force me to go to KTM.....

The 07 is perfect for what they intended it as.

I'd actually argue it's TOO good for the money and people expect too much out of it because of that. The rest of The bike is held to the same standard as the engine, and that's just not fair to it. That engine punches so far out of it's weight class it makes the other aspects of the bike seem cheaper than they are.

Yamaha had to cut pennies somewhere and I don't think this bike would compete well at a higher price point.

• Like 6

NikitaUCLA

I really need traction control and ABS especially after it rains. Mine doesn't have ABS either. I do daily commuting, and these two features will provide an extra level of safety. I rode my wife's entry BMW G310R with ABS, and I could notice the difference in how I ride knowing ABS is there. 

djfz07

I wish my FZ07 had traction control and abs (with option the disable the rear abs).  I understand why it doesn't but that 790 Duke is looking real tempting with all the tech it comes with.  KTM reliability has me hesitant however.

• Like 1

Cinimod

I agree with Topaz above. The 790 is significantly more expensive; it's not really meant to compete with the MT-07, which is a ton for the money IMO.  

That said, the ABS on my '18 MT-07 saved my butt two days ago when an elderly man pulled his truck out directly in front of me at the top of the hill. I'm far from an expert, but I've ridden 40k+ miles on the street and still panic braked more than I thought I would. 

Cruizin

I know many guys trying to disable traction control permanently. I rode 30 years without it, never needed it and still don't understand the need for traction control.  

ABS is good though, but it should be able to be shut off for dirt roads. 

• Like 2

shinyribs

Electronic rider aids are just that - rider aids. Not necessities.  There are as many safety arguments for them as there are against them. If people want to upgrade to more expensive electronics packages it's probably something the manufacturers should cash in on. But many people distrust and dislike these things and don't want them. They shouldn't be forced to buy, ride with, maintain and pay to repair "luxuries" they never wanted.  I paid extra for my 07 because I declined the smoking deal the dealership was offering me on an abs equipped model. Apparently others felt like me and wanted non-abs bikes and they were struggling to unload the abs versions, so they were discounting them heavily. 

I never would've bought a FZ07 if it was only available with electronic rider aids. 

• Like 2

shinyribs
3 hours ago, NikitaUCLA said:

I really need traction control and ABS especially after it rains. Mine doesn't have ABS either. I do daily commuting, and these two features will provide an extra level of safety. I rode my wife's entry BMW G310R with ABS, and I could notice the difference in how I ride knowing ABS is there. 

What you are describing is textbook placebo effect. You should ride inside the limits of your skills, ability and rider experience- not the perceived abilities of your motorcycles electronics package. When you know what you are capable of as a rider, then you know where to improve to boost your safety and confidence. Electronics are not bad at all, but I don't trust my safety to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

djfz07

This is the only thing I've seen as far as traction control pertaining to our bikes.  I think it's pretty cool.

fz07traction2.thumb.jpeg.104d971fdae3301dde4c407e7f04d363.jpeg

fz07traction1.thumb.jpeg.90fa6f35ed901e9481f21c78ccf21785.jpeg

• Haha 1

NikitaUCLA

I need to be honest about my earlier statement. :) I should have said that I rode more aggressively and probably above my riding abilities knowing I had ABS. Without ABS with my FZ07, I ride within my experience and ability. I rarely take chances. So basically, I ride like an ass knowing I have riding aids. :) And that’s dangerous. 

• Haha 2

NikitaUCLA

I know this bike will become an instant classic for one of the best bikes of all time category. 

It is that good. I thought I have given up street riding for good almost 15 years ago until I tried this bike. 

• Like 1

Beemer

It sounds like you either came to your senses or got honest with yourself real fast and that's the best thing you could've done for your safety. Now you can save money with the FZ-07 and be safer riding within your limits. That's good to hear, you should be happy now.

• Like 1

imherefortheride

Could the FZ 07 be better? Yes.

Will a stock FZ 07 put a sh!t eating grin on your face? Heck Yes! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mt7fan

I don't understand the policy of Yamaha. Hier in Germany we have abs sins rm04. I see the big difference in braking every time I attend a safety course where the others ride with different bikes.