The MT-07 Forum

Future FZ07 Wishlist

NikitaUCLA

I love my FZ07. I came out of 15 years of riding "retirement" because of it.

But the MT07 needs to improve. I want lean angle traction control and quick shifter. I want the KTM Duke 790 in a Yamaha!

don't force me to go to KTM.....

• Haha 1

topazsparrow
56 minutes ago, NikitaUCLA said:

I love my FZ07. I came out of 15 years of riding "retirement" because of it.

But the MT07 needs to improve. I want lean angle traction control and quick shifter. I want the KTM Duke 790 in a Yamaha!

don't force me to go to KTM.....

The 07 is perfect for what they intended it as.

I'd actually argue it's TOO good for the money and people expect too much out of it because of that. The rest of The bike is held to the same standard as the engine, and that's just not fair to it. That engine punches so far out of it's weight class it makes the other aspects of the bike seem cheaper than they are.

Yamaha had to cut pennies somewhere and I don't think this bike would compete well at a higher price point.

• Like 7

I really need traction control and ABS especially after it rains. Mine doesn't have ABS either. I do daily commuting, and these two features will provide an extra level of safety. I rode my wife's entry BMW G310R with ABS, and I could notice the difference in how I ride knowing ABS is there. 

I wish my FZ07 had traction control and abs (with option the disable the rear abs).  I understand why it doesn't but that 790 Duke is looking real tempting with all the tech it comes with.  KTM reliability has me hesitant however.

• Like 1

I agree with Topaz above. The 790 is significantly more expensive; it's not really meant to compete with the MT-07, which is a ton for the money IMO.  

That said, the ABS on my '18 MT-07 saved my butt two days ago when an elderly man pulled his truck out directly in front of me at the top of the hill. I'm far from an expert, but I've ridden 40k+ miles on the street and still panic braked more than I thought I would. 

I know many guys trying to disable traction control permanently. I rode 30 years without it, never needed it and still don't understand the need for traction control.  

ABS is good though, but it should be able to be shut off for dirt roads. 

• Like 2

Electronic rider aids are just that - rider aids. Not necessities.  There are as many safety arguments for them as there are against them. If people want to upgrade to more expensive electronics packages it's probably something the manufacturers should cash in on. But many people distrust and dislike these things and don't want them. They shouldn't be forced to buy, ride with, maintain and pay to repair "luxuries" they never wanted.  I paid extra for my 07 because I declined the smoking deal the dealership was offering me on an abs equipped model. Apparently others felt like me and wanted non-abs bikes and they were struggling to unload the abs versions, so they were discounting them heavily. 

I never would've bought a FZ07 if it was only available with electronic rider aids. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NikitaUCLA said:

I really need traction control and ABS especially after it rains. Mine doesn't have ABS either. I do daily commuting, and these two features will provide an extra level of safety. I rode my wife's entry BMW G310R with ABS, and I could notice the difference in how I ride knowing ABS is there. 

What you are describing is textbook placebo effect. You should ride inside the limits of your skills, ability and rider experience- not the perceived abilities of your motorcycles electronics package. When you know what you are capable of as a rider, then you know where to improve to boost your safety and confidence. Electronics are not bad at all, but I don't trust my safety to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the only thing I've seen as far as traction control pertaining to our bikes.  I think it's pretty cool.

fz07traction2.thumb.jpeg.104d971fdae3301dde4c407e7f04d363.jpeg

fz07traction1.thumb.jpeg.90fa6f35ed901e9481f21c78ccf21785.jpeg

• Haha 1

I need to be honest about my earlier statement. :) I should have said that I rode more aggressively and probably above my riding abilities knowing I had ABS. Without ABS with my FZ07, I ride within my experience and ability. I rarely take chances. So basically, I ride like an ass knowing I have riding aids. :) And that’s dangerous. 

• Haha 2

I know this bike will become an instant classic for one of the best bikes of all time category. 

It is that good. I thought I have given up street riding for good almost 15 years ago until I tried this bike. 

• Like 1

It sounds like you either came to your senses or got honest with yourself real fast and that's the best thing you could've done for your safety. Now you can save money with the FZ-07 and be safer riding within your limits. That's good to hear, you should be happy now.

• Like 1

Beemer

imherefortheride

Could the FZ 07 be better? Yes.

Will a stock FZ 07 put a sh!t eating grin on your face? Heck Yes! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't understand the policy of Yamaha. Hier in Germany we have abs sins rm04. I see the big difference in braking every time I attend a safety course where the others ride with different bikes.

• 3 weeks later...

The more I ride a bike with ABS, the more I want my next bike to have ABS and traction control like the 2019 Duke 790. I commute daily so I want more riding aids to help me survive the streets. I'm 50 years old; I don't need to prove my manhood anymore. It's been gone a long time ago.

Red_ak_ranger
On 4/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, shinyribs said:

Electronic rider aids are just that - rider aids. Not necessities.  There are as many safety arguments for them as there are against them. If people want to upgrade to more expensive electronics packages it's probably something the manufacturers should cash in on. But many people distrust and dislike these things and don't want them. They shouldn't be forced to buy, ride with, maintain and pay to repair "luxuries" they never wanted.  I paid extra for my 07 because I declined the smoking deal the dealership was offering me on an abs equipped model. Apparently others felt like me and wanted non-abs bikes and they were struggling to unload the abs versions, so they were discounting them heavily. 

I never would've bought a FZ07 if it was only available with electronic rider aids. 

"There are as many safety arguments for them as there are against them"

No - you're incorrect.

"But many people distrust and dislike these things and don't want them."

Yes, people are scared of change.  That doesn't mean they are correct for these beliefs.

"they were struggling to unload the abs versions, so they were discounting them heavily. "

That's convenient to your argument isn't it.  

I'm sure you're sick of seatbelts too and consider the reasons for/against to be equal.

FYI - I have an ABS FZ-07.  It's never activated yet (haven't had an emergency) and hasn't required additional maintenance.  I love knowing I have it on my bike for an emergency situation.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red_ak_ranger said:

That's convenient to your argument isn't it.  

chloe-gif.1649474 

22 minutes ago, Red_ak_ranger said:

I'm sure you're sick of seatbelts too and consider the reasons for/against to be equal.

You don't know the first thing about me.

24 minutes ago, Red_ak_ranger said:

FYI - I have an ABS FZ-07.  It's never activated yet (haven't had an emergency) and hasn't required additional maintenance. 

That's convenient to your argument isn't it.   ( haha, just giving back :) )

Hate to say this on this FZ-07 forum, but here goes. I was heavily tempted to save a $1,000 of my hard earned money by buying the ABS verion, but that was such a shitty ABS that  I was amazed I was seeing it on a Yamaha. If I had been on a Chinese scooter I would have laughed and considered it par for the course. I purposefully activated the rear ABS on the test ride because, well...that's what test rides were for. After several seconds of sliding the rear tire the ABS finally activated. And when it activated it grabbed and released in such random ways that it just bucked and jerked the bike around. No f@#king way do I want to have to deal with such a shoddy safety system in the event of an actual emergency. I was ready and expecting whatever may happen on a straight dry piece of road, so it was just a laughable experience to me- not a completely wild bike without a moments notice. After several other attempts there was either no activation of the system at all, or the complete bonkers mode it went in to. Loved the bike, hated the ABS. 

I'm aware there may have been something wrong with that particular bike, but if that's what it's failure mode is I don't wanna get caught out on that on a wet road at night, or in any other emergency system when my attention cannot be focused on battling the ABS to regain control.  I've fixed enough BMW ABS systems over the years ( many of them ultimately just left the rider suddenly without brakes at all) that I'm done with this technology until motorcycle manufacturers can reach OEM auto builder quality levels. It's a fine idea, but not everyone implements ABS in a good way. BMW always sucks at electronic reliability,  but if Yamaha can't even activate it reliability then it's not a technology I want for now. 

Do you know why cornering ABS exists and what makes it so important compared to standard ABS? Do you know what your standard model ABS will do when asked to activate mid corner? Research beyond the sales literature, then decide where to place your trust. It has nothing to do with proving manhood.

I didn't go after anyone. Everyone is entitled to their own wants and opinions. But you're not entitled to try and give me shet because I don't have a hard on for ABS like you do. So get over it, because you'll feel better when you don't feel the need to prove your case to strangers on the internet to feel better about your decisions. 

Ride safe. I, too, hope you never need your ABS. 

I have a 2017 FZ07 with no ABS. I will gladly trade with anyone for an ABS version. :)

I've been in a lot of flame wars in the past when I was younger. What I've concluded that most of the time it's all due to miscommunication or the delivery. :)

Personally, I agree with both sides. That is, in order to appreciate the latest technology for riding aids, one must learn and know how to ride using only manual and traditional methods and skills.

For example, I would consider myself a very experienced rider with mastery of clutch controls. Yet, at 50 and the early onset of arthritis, I would love to use the fast shifting/clutchless riding aids.  

Edited by NikitaUCLA