The MT-07 Forum

Torque Wrench 101

DewMan

Only thing that I would change is to use a breaker bar to loosen, never a ratchet or wrench whenever possible.  They are cheap and will save you from busting up your mechanical tools and likely your knuckles as well.  Otherwise the write-up and usage are spot on from my experience.  The one point you make that I would highlight to the novice is to make sure to set the "click style" back to the lowest marked setting (ie: 5lbs for a 5-75lb range wrench) when done using. 👍

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice write up, I think it deserves one of these bad boys next to your name …. DewMan 💫

• Thanks 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
40 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Nice write up, I think it deserves one of these bad boys next to your name …. DewMan 💫

I agree:

1113730.gif.033a1d12e69a15ff7f815a45db93683c.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Just an add on the "beam style" type: how you hold the wrench is very important.

As you state, you must support the head of the unit as you twist, pushing with the same force that you pull with on your other hand, in the exact opposite direction. Sounds more complicated than it is, but you're cancelling out the net forces and just having a clean torque at the head to measure with - a pure rotation.

But, more importantly, this handle floats and pivots in the center - make sure you keep the handle floating throughout the the pull. It should not touch the beam at either end of the floating handle, so you might have to rotate it slightly to keep it floating on it's pivot. What you're doing is standardizing and maintaining the moment arm length. You can shorten or lengthen it by a few inches by allowing the ends to touch.

Torque wrench anecdote: I occasionally work in a bike/ski shop as well, and we have a very long torque wrench that is used to test-release bindings. I remember a gal who worked in the shop, who was actually quite capable, but she commented about always getting under torque on her settings, and having to increase the release settings. I thought that odd and asked her to show me her style. Sure enough, she was grasping the handle mid-way with her second hand, shortening the effective moment arm and screwing up the reading. The torque wrench was at the end of the arm, so she was pulling on its handle and also on the shaft that was the moment arm.

Anyway, good write-up. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should maybe add some bold typeface in Basic Steps #3 about slow steady pressure.  I don't know how many times I've seen folks jerk the clicker.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sansnombre said:

Just an add on the "beam style" type: how you hold the wrench is very important.

As you state, you must support the head of the unit as you twist, pushing with the same force that you pull with on your other hand, in the exact opposite direction. Sounds more complicated than it is, but you're cancelling out the net forces and just having a clean torque at the head to measure with - a pure rotation.

But, more importantly, this handle floats and pivots in the center - make sure you keep the handle floating throughout the the pull. It should not touch the beam at either end of the floating handle, so you might have to rotate it slightly to keep it floating on it's pivot. What you're doing is standardizing and maintaining the moment arm length. You can shorten or lengthen it by a few inches by allowing the ends to touch.

Very important and often overlooked point!

The beauty of a beam wrench is that your accuracy is based on a known quantity ( the flex of the beam ), so there's no worry of clicker springs corroding/losing tension, solidified internal grease, or pressure sensors going wonky. For production lines, clickers and electronic torque wrenches are far easier to use accurately and quickly when building things day in and day out in a factory. Assembly lines will occasionally have their tools calibrated and life is good.

For the home mechanic this production speed isn't needed.  I've owned all three types (gave my electronic to a buddy) and always grab my beam wrench. I'm old school and I trust it lol.

Personal preference aside, great post, @DewMan 

• Thanks 1

Have the click ones, two for different ranges. When I used them for the first time was expecting click-click-click 😂

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, bornagainbiker said:

I agree:

1113730.gif.033a1d12e69a15ff7f815a45db93683c.gif

Why stop at that? 

ba-awesome-colorful-fireworks-animated-g Ok, so that's a bit much, hee-hee!

Beemer

• 2 years later...

Looking to get my first torque wrench. Product/brand suggestions? It's for a 2021 MT07 that I just got frame sliders for. Do I need multiple torque wrenches for the eventual other work I put into the bike, like maintenance and such? 

Edited by Cjanssen83

On 4/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, shinyribs said:

Very important and often overlooked point!

The beauty of a beam wrench is that your accuracy is based on a known quantity ( the flex of the beam ), so there's no worry of clicker springs corroding/losing tension, solidified internal grease, or pressure sensors going wonky. For production lines, clickers and electronic torque wrenches are far easier to use accurately and quickly when building things day in and day out in a factory. Assembly lines will occasionally have their tools calibrated and life is good.

For the home mechanic this production speed isn't needed.  I've owned all three types (gave my electronic to a buddy) and always grab my beam wrench. I'm old school and I trust it lol.

Personal preference aside, great post, @DewMan 

That is why they can take more abuse, like falling off a bench or whatever.  As long as the indicator flexes free and the beam is straight, it will work.  

One trick I learned in an online post - If you are in an odd position, put some masking tape on the indicator plate and mark the proper torque position on the edge or back side of the plate at the torque spec desired.  

Most manufacturers will have torque wrenches calibrated for each shift.   Last thing they need is a full shift of inaccurately tightened fasteners, much less days of product.  

One of the more interesting things for those in the U.S. is Car Craft magazine did a test on click torque wrenches including the $9.99 with a coupon Harbor Freight tools.   I think they were figuring they were going to reveal the poor function of the low buck tool.  It didn't happen.  The inexpensive Harbor Freight tool had accuracy on par with the best and most expensive.  They also tested the Harbor Freight $30 digital torque convertor, dead on the money.   Point being you don't have to be spending the big money to do the work if you are doing your own stuff.  

One other thing they did, since they had a low buck tool to ruin.  They left the torque setting cranked to 70 ft-lb and tested 30 and 60 days later.  The accuracy dropped around 5% in 30 days and about the same again after 60 days.   Emphasizes the point, if you use a click torque wrench you want to always set the wrench to the lowest position after use when you are done.

One more comment, some click torque wrenches also have the pivot handle.  

Edited by klx678

I bought the LEXIVON 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench at Amazon for the same reason - sliders on my 2020 MT-07. It worked great. Should cost around $30.

I will say if you come across a good deal on a 3/8 drive inch-lb beam wrench, it's always nice to have a back up.   I do use mine when I do the valves on my bikes.  I do have a Harbor Freight click wrench for axles and such.  Definitely torque the axle pinch clamps so I don't snap off a stud or something.  I just like that the beam doesn't go out of calibration and is reliable as a rock.

I have one of the low buck 1/2" drive ft-lb Harbor Freight torque wrenches in my truck tool box, along with a decent breaker bar and a good quality 3/4" deep socket.  I also have one of the $59 buck on sale 1.5 ton aluminum hydraulic floor jacks to use on the truck or trailer.  For some reason the jack for the truck wasn't there when I got it, plus I did a 3/4" drop kit kind of necessitating the jack.  At the price the jacks are so nice to have around, light and relatively quick pump.  Have one in the shop too... along with another Harbor Freight click wrench beside the Craftsman 1/2" beam and Powercraft 3/8 inch-lb beam wrench.

The joy of being older.... I use a Craftsman beam style torque wrench that I bought years ago when it was actually made in the USA. Back when Craftsman was Craftsman not Chinese garbage!

• Like 1

My Powercraft wrench came from Montgomery Wards back around 1980, I think it was something like $8.95.   My father's Craftsman is one like you probably have, from the 70s or 80s as well.

• Like 1